Drennan feeder woes.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've become dissatisfied with the Drennan flat method feeders, for a couple of reasons.

The first is the poor release properties of the mould, particularly with pellets, where I can't get a clean release. After cleaning the mould thoroughly, I'll get only 2 or 3 clean releases before it starts sticking again. Keeping the mould in a tub of water during the session solves the problem, but it's hardly ideal.

The second is that the plastic Q/C connectors seem to wear quickly and become loose in their corresponding socket. It's not unusual to have to change one mid-session after finding that the feeder has begun to slide up the line after each take.

Something else (which I didn't mention) is that the bodies on the puddle chucker floats have the alarming tendency to separate from the float body during the cast, leaving you to reel in just the push-in float eye.

I expected a positive response, but the reply was both patronising and dismissive. B***er it, I thought, so I've been out and bought a dozen Preston method feeders this afternoon (going on recommendations from this forum) and chucked the Drennan ones in the bin. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

BTW, if anyone else needs to contact Drennan International by email, this is the address to use: admin@drennan.co.uk

robtherake

Reaction score
2 suggestions; put a float stop above the feeder.
Have a look at Guru method feeders.
guru method feeder - Google Search

Re the floats, pull the connector out where it breaks and superglue it in.
Also happens a lot with their loaded wagglers.

Both good suggestions, but I don't want to muck about with a product to make it work properly - the manufacturer should have it sorted.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I rarely use method feeders now but I'm told [I haven't tried it]that a bit of vegetable oil rubbed round the mould ensures a good release every time. Bit of a pain but in my experience all moulds stick sooner or later unless you are an utter genius at getting your mix/dampened pellets spot on.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rob, why not just use one of the method feeders that you squeeze the bait onto ?
They're the only one's i've ever used. I did get some hedgehog method feeders years ago but have yet to use 'em....just shows you how often I go method feeder fishing !

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Not yet, but aren't they just Drennan in disguise?

I use them andhaventhadany trouble, see if you can get your hands on the Preston quick release feeders, instead of peeling the mould off you squeeze the two sides andit just pops out. Havent used them my self but a good friend swears by them. I don't mean to sound a know it all, but have you made sure your ground bait/pellets are the right consistency as I often find being slightly wet/dry is a real pain in the ass for the moulds and has caught me out a few times too. Writing this I'm now tempted to try one of the quick release job bids my self haha. Anything to get the rod in the water quicker.

robtherake

Reaction score
Rob, why not just use one of the method feeders that you squeeze the bait onto ?
They're the only one's i've ever used. I did get some hedgehog method feeders years ago but have yet to use 'em....just shows you how often I go method feeder fishing !

I used to, Ian, but for most situations the flat beds are better for me. The payload is aerodynamic and the same weight each time and it's improved casting accuracy no end.

They're also small enough to use on a standard avon/feeder rod.

sagalout

Reaction score
I use the preston feeders and moulds, if the mix is to wet it sticks, if it's to dry it falls of, easiest way is to use a hand and not the mould. If I ain't casting very far I just mould it round the lead.

robtherake

Reaction score
I use the preston feeders and moulds, if the mix is to wet it sticks, if it's to dry it falls of, easiest way is to use a hand and not the mould. If I ain't casting very far I just mould it round the lead.

I use pellets more often than not, and find that it's difficult to achieve the same level of compression without the mould to push against.

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Have you had a look at the Matrix Evolution range?

No mate. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check 'em out.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to, Ian, but for most situations the flat beds are better for me. The payload is aerodynamic and the same weight each time and it's improved casting accuracy no end.

They're also small enough to use on a standard avon/feeder rod.

Yeah Rob, I see what you mean, probably of no interest to you but they do small versions of the ones that you squeez your mix on in your hand.
Shame on Drennan really for not giving you any help, maybe you just got intouch with the cleaner or summot lol.

robtherake

Reaction score
Yeah Rob, I see what you mean, probably of no interest to you but they do small versions of the ones that you squeez your mix on in your hand.
Shame on Drennan really for not giving you any help, maybe you just got intouch with the cleaner or summot lol.

Haha! Must have been the terrifying desk lady that no-one messes with!

Somewhere in the depths of my feeder bucket, there are a few of those little tri-lobed ones (Fox, I think) although from memory they still carry a bit more than an Avon/feeder rod can manage - I used to use them with a power barbel rod, 1.75lb test. Good shout, though.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've become dissatisfied with the Drennan flat method feeders, for a couple of reasons.

The first is the poor release properties of the mould, particularly with pellets, where I can't get a clean release. After cleaning the mould thoroughly, I'll get only 2 or 3 clean releases before it starts sticking again. Keeping the mould in a tub of water during the session solves the problem, but it's hardly ideal.

The second is that the plastic Q/C connectors seem to wear quickly and become loose in their corresponding socket. It's not unusual to have to change one mid-session after finding that the feeder has begun to slide up the line after each take.

Something else (which I didn't mention) is that the bodies on the puddle chucker floats have the alarming tendency to separate from the float body during the cast, leaving you to reel in just the push-in float eye.

I expected a positive response, but the reply was both patronising and dismissive. B***er it, I thought, so I've been out and bought a dozen Preston method feeders this afternoon (going on recommendations from this forum) and chucked the Drennan ones in the bin. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

BTW, if anyone else needs to contact Drennan International by email, this is the address to use: admin@drennan.co.uk

I ahve too noticed this - to the extend that I've glued mine in

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Haha! Must have been the terrifying desk lady that no-one messes with!

Somewhere in the depths of my feeder bucket, there are a few of those little tri-lobed ones (Fox, I think) although from memory they still carry a bit more than an Avon/feeder rod can manage - I used to use them with a power barbel rod, 1.75lb test. Good shout, though.

Yeah, like the doctors receptionists who always seem like the gestapo :D

Rob, I know they're drennan but these go down quite small in size...

Drennan International

Maybe worth a look unless the prestons do the deed well enough.

Richox12

Reaction score
I've become dissatisfied with the Drennan flat method feeders,

....the plastic Q/C connectors seem to wear quickly and become loose in their corresponding socket. It's not unusual to have to change one mid-session after finding that the feeder has begun to slide up the line after each take.

I use these feeders and connectors and the QC connector is supposed to be a loose fit, not tight at all, otherwise that would break some fishery rules by making it a bolt rig. In use, without any form of backstop, the feeder can be way back up the line on a violent take. But that's normal. If your fishery allows fixed feeders then thread a float stop onto the line before the feeder or use a powergum stop knot etc. Otherwise the feeders are working as they should.

pidgergj

Reaction score
i fished a method feeder for the first time last summer and the drennan were the ones i bought, i have an issue with groundbait but put it down to my mix being the wrong consistency. I havent tried any others but i do think the mould is fiddly to pop the feeder out. Dont really have a problem with pellets and havent had any problems with the connectors, but like i say i havent any grounds for comparison.

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

I think I have tried just about all the method feeders and moulds on the market and to be honest most left a lot to be desired, from not releasing from the mould properly to the pellets comming off as soon as the feeder hits the water.

For the last couple of seasons I have stuck with the ones sold by Korum, Dura feeders I think they are called. Never have trouble getting them out of the mould and totally confident the bait survives the case and stays on untill it hits bottom.

I can highly recomend them.

Paul