Edward Barder Centrepin Reel

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest e-mail from Barder's gives details of their long-awaited Centrepin reel:

It has a 4" diameter spool with an internal width of just over an inch.
The spool’s rim has been specially profiled for strength, lightness and sensitivity. The spool’s quick release is via an aluminium button on its face. We have gone to the trouble of placing a small hole in the spool’s arbour for the line to be passed through so that it can be secured internally.

Both the spool and back plate are hard-anodised (to Type 3 Defence Standard) a very attractive and subtle dark slate colour. The Edward Barder Rod Co is tastefully engraved in copperplate script on the back plate. The reel foot boss is an integral part of the back plate.

The spindle, made from aerospace grade 17/4 precipitation hardening stainless steel alloy, is perfectly mated to the spool's phosphor bronze bush. A small grub screw in the bush facilitates spindle end float adjustment.

The faux ivory handles have nickel silver spindles and cups. They are proportioned and positioned so that they don’t cause awkwardness in use, being neither too close to the spindle nor the outer rim.

The dimensions of the carefully designed brass reel foot ensure that the reel sits squarely and securely on a rod’s handle.

The check wheel and pawl are made from hand blued and heat treated steel (DO1 gauge plate). The check mechanism’s brass retaining screws are counter sunk and beautifully finished. The classically proportioned check button is of brass and is very easy to operate, positioned between the reel foot and spindle on the back plate.

The price will be enough to put many anglers off as it is expected to retail at around . . . . . . . . . . . . £800.00 - that's about £300.00 more than a very good Abel fly reel

Regardless of which, expect a long waiting list

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'd have to have 3 - 3 carp rods on a pod need 3 reels:D

I put the smilie in because on another site someone got their knickers in a twist (a saying you don't hear much these days) because I made a stupid remark and did n't put a smilie to show I was joking

guest61

Reaction score
It has a 4" diameter spool with an internal width of just over an inch.
The spool’s rim has been specially profiled for strength, lightness and sensitivity. The spool’s quick release is via an aluminium button on its face. We have gone to the trouble of placing a small hole in the spool’s arbour for the line to be passed through so that it can be secured internally.

Both the spool and back plate are hard-anodised (to Type 3 Defence Standard) a very attractive and subtle dark slate colour. The Edward Barder Rod Co is tastefully engraved in copperplate script on the back plate. The reel foot boss is an integral part of the back plate.

The spindle, made from aerospace grade 17/4 precipitation hardening stainless steel alloy, is perfectly mated to the spool's phosphor bronze bush. A small grub screw in the bush facilitates spindle end float adjustment.

The faux ivory handles have nickel silver spindles and cups. They are proportioned and positioned so that they don’t cause awkwardness in use, being neither too close to the spindle nor the outer rim.

The dimensions of the carefully designed brass reel foot ensure that the reel sits squarely and securely on a rod’s handle.

The check wheel and pawl are made from hand blued and heat treated steel (DO1 gauge plate). The check mechanism’s brass retaining screws are counter sunk and beautifully finished. The classically proportioned check button is of brass and is very easy to operate, positioned between the reel foot and spindle on the back plate.

After reading this I'm 'nursing a semi' :eek: its as if M&S did CP's :eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
£400 Less in their wallet

LOL

It is just the perfect companion to go with a Barder rod I reckon.

Once you get over, say, £400 there is little in the way of 'extras' that you are going to get to be honest.

That said, a reel like this will appreciate in value unlike many lower priced reels that will simply be worth little or nothing in a few short years.

And much like with Sage rods, you get a lifetime guarantee too.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Looking at the spec. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a reel being made by the company that took over the Arnold Kingpin reels formerly made in Ferndown but now made in Poole. Not worth £800 - £150 is more like it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the spec. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a reel being made by the company that took over the Arnold Kingpin reels formerly made in Ferndown but now made in Poole. Not worth £800 - £150 is more like it.

Regardless though Mark, with the following that Barder has, and an almost guaranteed waiting list coupled to the "I want" factor, then £800 is an agreeable price, and it will be worth far more in a few years time.

I think that the top end of the tackle market is, and will always be, just like that . . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd like to see a pic of one but not with a view to buy, just to see one. I'll stick to my cheapo Chris Lythes...well they are compared to those !! LOL

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank's for posting the pic Peter....I can't open it any larger but what I can see deffinatly doesn't impress me, not looks wise at least. I suppose it may be good to use but the drum looks quite deep.

I'm sorry about the pictures tigger but I'm not the world's best when it comes to playing around with digital images; just not my scene so to speak.

The original pictures are quite good at the proper size and the reels does look rather nice.

If you like to PM me with an e-mail address I'll send you the original pictures.