Eel Thread

john step

Reaction score
S-Kippy;1421436 And newt ! :eek:[/QUOTE said:
Reminds me of a water we took on a few years ago. Heavily populated with sticklebacks.

Using maggot you would get a slow sinking of the float and a stickleback being caught. Not on the hook but being retrieved with a maggot wedged firmly in its gob.

A stocking of perch sorted that out:D

naxian62

Reaction score
A few posts back someone advocates using luncheon meat if pike are becoming a nuisance. Now I have been lead to believe there are 2 types of eels, predatory and non-predatory, distinguished by the broadness of their heads. The water I'm fishing they definetly are the broad headed variety and my minimal results tell me they are certainly predatory. Worms fished on the same baited spot have brought zero.
Being the OP, I thought I should throw this out there for people to comment on.

Mark Salt

Reaction score
The wire versus other hooklinks will roll on forever, but there is one indisputable fact: if you fish for eels for long enough using conventional hooks using anything other than a wire trace you will get bitten off by an eel, and sod's law says it is likely to be the biggest one you've ever hooked!

thecrow

Reaction score
I just have a couple of questions for you Eel fishers. if I may.

Do all Eels return to the Sargaso to breed or do some stay and never breed?

If some don't breed are these the ones that grow on to become big uns?

How slowly do Eels grow?

naxian62

Reaction score
Not a clue about the breeding/migration cycle, but I believe the growth rate is very slow.
A pound every 10 years!!

Mark Salt

Reaction score
It is believed that all eels will attempt to migrate when mature, but obviously not all eels will be able to escape from the water they are in, and will stay and grow. Growth rates vary and are dependent on food supply. Eels are relatively slow growing, but given access to a rich food supply, the 1lb every 10 years rule of thumb becomes redundant.

smudger172

Reaction score
A point of observation....

When i was an apprentice back in the 1970s a mate and i had a week fishing at a caravan park on the banks of the stour at christchurch for a week in july for three years..

At that time the Eel population was huge and if a small bait was in the water for more than 5 minutes it resulted in an Eel. Every year saw thousands of elvers swimming upstream in the margins all week.

Now i would not do this now (so no bo££ockings) But one of the london born toolmakers who i worked with had a passion for Eels and asked if i could bring him some back..

The last days fishing i put about 6 in a bucket for him. Most times the Eel had swallowed the hook so cut the line and tie another on on.. The following morning all the hooks were in the bottom of the bucket. How they get rid of then i will never know..

The point i am making is if the Eel is deeply hooked just cut the line rather than damage the fish trying to remove it, they seem to manage it on there own..

Mark Salt

Reaction score
A point of observation....

When i was an apprentice back in the 1970s a mate and i had a week fishing at a caravan park on the banks of the stour at christchurch for a week in july for three years..

At that time the Eel population was huge and if a small bait was in the water for more than 5 minutes it resulted in an Eel. Every year saw thousands of elvers swimming upstream in the margins all week.

Now i would not do this now (so no bo££ockings) But one of the london born toolmakers who i worked with had a passion for Eels and asked if i could bring him some back..

The last days fishing i put about 6 in a bucket for him. Most times the Eel had swallowed the hook so cut the line and tie another on on.. The following morning all the hooks were in the bottom of the bucket. How they get rid of then i will never know..

The point i am making is if the Eel is deeply hooked just cut the line rather than damage the fish trying to remove it, they seem to manage it on there own..

Good advice. However, although a proportion of deep hooked eels do shed the hook over time, they do not necessarily survive. Most of the eels internal organs are just behind the head, and can be easily damaged by deephooking. Best to aim to avoid it.

john step

Reaction score
The wire versus other hooklinks will roll on forever, but there is one indisputable fact: if you fish for eels for long enough using conventional hooks using anything other than a wire trace you will get bitten off by an eel, and sod's law says it is likely to be the biggest one you've ever hooked!

I have just remembered I stocked up recently on Chanelle Tress trace ready for next winters piking.
I reckon this soft flexible trace material would be ideal for eels.

steve2

Reaction score
Look in a craft shop at bead wire it is similar to Chanelle Tress it’s called Tiger Tail wire. A very flexible wire nylon coated wire. There is another one called Beadalour if you can find it.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Look in a craft shop at bead wire it is similar to Chanelle Tress it’s called Tiger Tail wire. A very flexible wire nylon coated wire. There is another one called Beadalour if you can find it.

Lots cheaper as well, any idea on what thickness equates to the diameters on offer?

Lots on Ebay.

Cant find Beadalor only Beadalon 7 strand which rings a bell surely a tackle manufacturer hasn't been ripping us off all these years?

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score

Steve, thats very interesting. If it is truly like Tress it will work out remarkably cheaper. I have ordered some on fleebay at £1.99 a 30 meter roll inc. postage.

Its worth a chance for that price. When I receive it I will test the Breaking Strain flexibility and knottability etc. and report back.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

surely a tackle manufacturer hasn't been ripping us off all these years?

WELL IT WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME:mad:

steve2

Reaction score
Sorry misspelt that it should read beadalon it is available in a 19 strand as well.
Not sure of breaking strain of all of them but one I tested broke at around 10lbs when pulled using a set of scales to measure it.

Mark Salt

Reaction score
Sorry misspelt that it should read beadalon it is available in a 19 strand as well.
Not sure of breaking strain of all of them but one I tested broke at around 10lbs when pulled using a set of scales to measure it.

You might consider using higher breaking strains, say 30lb, unless you are happy losing eels.

steve2

Reaction score
I can't remember losing an an eel when just using mono leaders way below your 30lb.

I have never used it for eels just for perch fishing with small live baits. Had pike to low doubles on it.
Did a retest on some yesterday an was able to pick up a 12lb weight without any problems. This was on 7 strand so the 19 strand should be a lot stronger.
I first found out about these wires when reading into leaders for pike flyfishing.
They also come in many different colours.

Last edited:

Mark Salt

Reaction score
I can't remember losing an an eel when just using mono leaders way below your 30lb.

I have never used it for eels just for perch fishing with small live baits. Had pike to low doubles on it.
Did a retest on some yesterday an was able to pick up a 12lb weight without any problems. This was on 7 strand so the 19 strand should be a lot stronger.
I first found out about these wires when reading into leaders for pike flyfishing.
They also come in many different colours.

You've been very lucky then!

naxian62

Reaction score
@ John and the crow. Ordered some of the 49 strand "bead" wire. I'll let you know how it handles when I catch another fish.
V frustrating Sunday night, just could not connect with the takes.

skov

Reaction score
How heavy do you guys go with rods and lines when targeting eels?

Would 1.5lb TC Avon rods and 10lb mono main line be up to the job?
Or would I be better off using my pike gear (3lb rods / 40lb braid)?