first angling match

C

chefster

thanks for all ur help guys also wat is the terminology used before, during and after the matches? and in my angling club booklet it says for open matches to call a number yet I cannot see any open matches on the list, just cup matches and monthly ones
The matches in you,re club booklet will be just that-club matches,unless otherwise stated,you just turn up and fish...Open matches are run differently,and you need to book on,i wouldnt worry too much about those at the moment,just fish the club matches for you,re first year at least,and get familiar with everything..also the standard of angler gets a lot higher when you get onto open matches,as does the cost of entry,pools,bait etc....There is no real terminology to worry about regarding before,during and after a match...Just make sure you familiarise yourself with the rules,before the match..The first time you fish a match,you,re bound to be nervous,but try to have a plan and stick with it,have confidence,and dont give up,fish right to the final whistle,and dont start packing up early,a double figure carp ,caught in the dying minutes of a match can take you from zero to hero!!I,ve been match fishing for years,and i still get nervous before a big match!!Its nice if you get fish straight away ,it settles the nerves,but if you dont ,just keep the faith,and be patient....other than that good luck for the coming season...Gazza

fishperch

Reaction score
do u guys think it's worth me going to the lake before the start of a match and talking to the person in charge of it?

C

chefster

do u guys think it's worth me going to the lake before the start of a match and talking to the person in charge of it?
Not before the start of the match itself,but definately in advance yes,maybe even a walk round if there are anglers there,and try to pick their brains a bit,even a practice session or two wouldnt hurt;)But bear in mind a fishery will never fish the same in a match as it does in a pleasure/practice session,as there is more pressure on the water in a match,but it helps to get an idea of depths,baits etc.....it seems like a big step to you,but its not worth overthinking everything,sometimes its best to just go,fish the match,see how you get on,follow the scales round after,see where the weights come from,ask the anglers that have done well,how and where they caught,and then go away and do you,re thinking for next time...Gazza

fishperch

Reaction score
Not before the start of the match itself,but definately in advance yes,maybe even a walk round if there are anglers there,and try to pick their brains a bit,even a practice session or two wouldnt hurt;)But bear in mind a fishery will never fish the same in a match as it does in a pleasure/practice session,as there is more pressure on the water in a match,but it helps to get an idea of depths,baits etc.....it seems like a big step to you,but its not worth overthinking everything,sometimes its best to just go,fish the match,see how you get on,follow the scales round after,see where the weights come from,ask the anglers that have done well,how and where they caught,and then go away and do you,re thinking for next time...Gazza
okk thanks m8, ill try to get a session in the new year up there

fishperch

Reaction score
i know this will sound silly but the lake has wooden platforms that u fish on and I don't really wanna go on them coz they r really thin so should it b ok if i fish next to them

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
As the questions on this thread become a little less credible with each addition, I will adapt my responses accordingly
i know this will sound silly but the lake has wooden platforms that u fish on and I don't really wanna go on them coz they r really thin so should it b ok if i fish next to them

The platforms should be OK if you don't use banksticks :rolleyes: but the guy in the next peg may take exception to you joining him :wh :D:D:D

fishperch

Reaction score
As the questions on this thread become a little less credible with each addition, I will adapt my responses accordingly The platforms should be OK if you don't use banksticks :rolleyes: but the guy in the next peg may take exception to you joining him :wh :D:D:D
:D i kno it sounds silly but i jus dont really wanna fall in :D

mike47

Reaction score
If you are afraid of falling in, or are thinking you might fall in, then I would forget about match fishing for the present and just fish for pleasure (as they say). There is plenty of time to get into the match situation when you have more confidence around the water.

fishperch

Reaction score
hi guys I finally got round to fishing the match lake today and had a session of 2 halves. the first half was an absolute nightmare, i snagged 2ce i lost my shoe in the thorns and fell in getting it, then i cast and got the lead on the island finally i broke one of my rod sections but lucky i had the avon tip with me today. the second half was much much better i caught a 9 silverfish ( roach,rudd) all in 90 mins approx. I only fished a short 2 hour session as it all I could spend today,

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
hi guys I finally got round to fishing the match lake today and had a session of 2 halves. the first half was an absolute nightmare, i snagged 2ce i lost my shoe in the thorns and fell in getting it, then i cast and got the lead on the island finally i broke one of my rod sections but lucky i had the avon tip with me today. the second half was much much better i caught a 9 silverfish ( roach,rudd) all in 90 mins approx. I only fished a short 2 hour session as it all I could spend today,

That made me laugh!
Your surname isn't Spencer or Bean by any chance is it? LOL...

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
:D that's just my sort of bad luck im afraid

In the words of the old Blues classic:
If it wasn't for bad luck
You know, I wouldn't have no luck at all​
:eek::eek:mg:

Things can only get better - fingers Xed!
Tight Lines!

mccn

Reaction score
Hi,
When fishing your 1st match fish how you always would but observe others in the process. Once the match is over, take time to look at the results and ask some questions about feed and hook baits (most, and i say most match guys are approachable and will usually offer advice). Over time your knowledge will increase and your angling will become better (and hopefully your results). On a funny note, ive been match fishing for 30 yrs and have always followed my own advice which ive just given you and i'm c..p, lol!

fishperch

Reaction score
Hi, When fishing your 1st match fish how you always would but observe others in the process. Once the match is over, take time to look at the results and ask some questions about feed and hook baits (most, and i say most match guys are approachable and will usually offer advice). Over time your knowledge will increase and your angling will become better (and hopefully your results). On a funny note, ive been match fishing for 30 yrs and have always followed my own advice which ive just given you and i'm c..p, lol!
any match terminology that I need to know for them? only coz I wouldn't want to fish to early or for too long etc

mccn

Reaction score
Just to make sure that you don't do anything wrong, ask the person who is running the match any questions you are unsure of.
Below is short list of most dos and don't's...

1. Start time - usually signalled by audible whistle or a call of 'all in'
2. Finish time - usually signalled by audible whistle or a call of 'all out'
3. Running rigs only - meaning no leger/feeder rigs that incorporate anything that stops a fish shedding the lead/feeder if it becomes snagged.
4. Keepnets - are usually put in place before the (start time) plus on most matches you will need at least 2 x keepnets (1 for silver fish 1 for carp)
5. Baiting of swim - no bait is to be fed into the swim until the (start time) has been signalled

These are just basic rules that should keep you in good stead, I sincerely hope they help.

fishperch

Reaction score
Yes. Or they blow a whistle.
thanks m8 :)

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Just to make sure that you don't do anything wrong, ask the person who is running the match any questions you are unsure of. Below is short list of most dos and don't's... 1. Start time - usually signalled by audible whistle or a call of 'all in' 2. Finish time - usually signalled by audible whistle or a call of 'all out' 3. Running rigs only - meaning no leger/feeder rigs that incorporate anything that stops a fish shedding the lead/feeder if it becomes snagged. 4. Keepnets - are usually put in place before the (start time) plus on most matches you will need at least 2 x keepnets (1 for silver fish 1 for carp) 5. Baiting of swim - no bait is to be fed into the swim until the (start time) has been signalled These are just basic rules that should keep you in good stead, I sincerely hope they help.
yeah it does. thanks, im just one nervous guy about everything lol :)

Teabreak

Reaction score
I've just joined a club and had a look at their matches. I was surprised that they lasted so long. 8am to 5.00pm. Seems like a awfully long day to me. Get up, travel, fish, weighin , go home, must be a good 12 hours away from home. Is this a normal fishing match day?