Fluro hook lenghts

rayner

Reaction score
My usual hook length for bread punch or pinkie when all the colour drops from the water is Trabucco Fcx Diamond fluorocarbon in .084, the spool says it's just over a kilo in strength but I doubt that's true.
Ijust do a figure 8 for loop to loop and a normal whipping knot for spade end. Never had a problem but with the roach I normally catch I could probably use a pube.

iain t

Reaction score
Got myself some Gardner Target Fluorocarbon after reading some favourable reports on Carp sites. To see if Fluro was more invisible than normal Mono as suggested by the manufacturers. I cut about foot and half of both lines. Attached an SSG shot on the ends and 1 in the middle of the lines and let each sink to the bottom of my fish pond. I must point out the 2 lines are 0.25 diameter, Mono being Daiwa brown Sensor.
Now with my highly technical viewing tube(a bucket with the base cut out ). I could see both lines between the vegetation, i noticed the Fluro hugged the floor better and seemed to blend in more to the surroundings. I also noticed that it was harder to see on a stone patch. The Sensor being what i call a good multipurpose line blended in well around the vegetation but stood out around the stones and did not hug the bottom as well.
I have not tested the knot strength of the Fluro. That is yet to come after i find the best knot to use.

Reaction score
But Ian,if you'd have had the clear Sensor,would it have been much different,as I said earlier,I think we kid ourselves more often than not,99% of the time fish couldn't give a flying fig if there was line there or not,the biggest technics against that are fly fishing,float fishing(particularly on the drop style,or up in the water)and floater fishing,the former stunned me many,many years ago when I shared a boat at Grafham,my mate slaughtered trout,while I struggled for a pull,I used 6lb maxima as leader,he used Drennan double strength in 10lbs bs,the following week I bought a spool and never looked back,horses for courses I think it's called.:D

trotter2

Reaction score
I did a similar test years ago when fluro first came out.
It was expensive stuff grand max, compared to standard mono.
Both were placed in a clear drinking glass so I could see from all sides.
My results were disappointing I could tell no visible differences with my vision. It was enough for me not to proceed further.

rayner

Reaction score
I have Maxima on all my reels, it's an excellent reel line for me.
Maxima as always been a totally useless hooklength material. Good reel lines don't make good hooklengths for my fishing

iain t

Reaction score
Whitty. Does it make a difference i haven't a clue but i thought may as well try something new for the season. I also think it may take a season to prove if it's worth the extra. At £5.99 a spool.
P.s
Am sure Clear Sensor would be better than the brown over the stones.

trotter2

Reaction score
Whitty. Does it make a difference i haven't a clue but i thought may as well try something new for the season. I also think it may take a season to prove if it's worth the extra. At £5.99 a spool.
P.s
Am sure Clear Sensor would be better than the brown over the stones.

Totally agree,you have to try these things and make your own decision.

Richox12

Reaction score
From Neil's link

On the other hand tie a blood knot to fluorocarbon and it is remarkably efficient whereas the normally trustworthy grinner that works extremely well
with braids
will reduce the strength of fluorocarbon by 50%!

I don't know if its because supplex wasn't one of krystons products that he found this but I have used a grinner on it and had no problems, its also the knot I have used on all the fluro I have tried in the past and had no problems with it breaking at the knot.

I have to wonder how many times a grinner was tied and tested to come to this conclusion?

I have used Fluorocarbon for years and I have found the exact opposite. A 5 turn Grinner is excellent and doesn't result in a knot strength reduction of 50%. Absolutely no way on the lines I use and I have checked & checked. I cannot remember the last time I was broken on a hooklength. I don't worry about the B/S at all - just diameter for hooklengths

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't worry about the B/S at all - just diameter for hooklengths

I don't understand how anyone can be happy just knowing the diameter of their line. Line diameters vary so much it's impossible to know the strength of your line simply by going off the diameter alone. I'd feel like I was wing-in it if I didn't know the B/S and wouldn't be comfortable fishing like that at all.
I look at both the diameter and B/S so I know exactly what i'm using.

trotter2

Reaction score
I think the important thing is too know the full strength of the line your using.
And what I don't mean is too take the label as the gospel. Do your own tests and work it out.
Braking strength and dia stated can be way off the mark as tests have shown.
Those off you what have fished long enough will remember when we all used standard mono for everything it was a lot simpler then,
When the fine dia lines became available and we moved over we all thought it would make massive difference, strangely it never did.

Richox12

Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone can be happy just knowing the diameter of their line. Line diameters vary so much it's impossible to know the strength of your line simply by going off the diameter alone. I'd feel like I was wing-in it if I didn't know the B/S and wouldn't be comfortable fishing like that at all.
I look at both the diameter and B/S so I know exactly what i'm using.

Simply because I know, within the narrow range of lines I use (and I have used them for years), the differences in strength between one line in, say, 0.08mm (nylon say) and another in 0.08mm (Fluorocarbon for example) is going to make Bu$$er all difference to my fishing. Same with main lines. 0.20mm is going to be more than strong enough for the vast majority of feeder fishing I do and it won't matter one bit whether that is 5lb or 6lb. But if it was 0.25mm and 6lb I wouldn't be able to cast properly.

Reaction score
On Wednesday I used 6lb line straight through,for tench,having only one fish 5lb 8ozs,late in the day I made a cast along the Norfolk reeds only for a gust of wind blew my float in the rushes,I had hell's own job pulling for a break,that was pointing the rod,fishing is all about finding the right line for the job,a general rule of thumb would be to use a clear,or lightly coloured greenish hooklink,but when using coated braid for barbel('experimenting')I caught loads of bream,chub etc,on ridiculous diameters and dark looking wire almost,it simply isn't as cut and dried as we all think.Just like using fine quivertips for breaming,ask carp anglers on bolt rigs,the bu$$ers won't let go,the enigmas in fishing eh?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those off you what have fished long enough will remember when we all used standard mono for everything it was a lot simpler then,
When the fine dia lines became available and we moved over we all thought it would make massive difference, strangely it never did.

For the majority I go straight through with my mainline but I often still use mainlines as a hooklength, just as an example I might be using 6lb sensor and add a 4lb sensor bottom.

B

binka

Drifting slightly...

Does anyone find that the relative stiffness of flouro helps with their heli rigs?

Richox12

Reaction score
Drifting slightly...

Does anyone find that the relative stiffness of flouro helps with their heli rigs?

Have never used a Heli rig but I definitely get less spin-ups on the waggler

B

binka

Have never used a Heli rig but I definitely get less spin-ups on the waggler

That's an interesting point, I don't recall having the kind of problems with spin when using flouro but I did change to using micro swivels at about the same time I began using it.

A buqqer of a nuisance at times when using fine mono hooklinks with a loop to loop knot trotting double maggot.

I suppose we think of suppleness in terms of straight line flexibility and not so much in terms of twist which is probably just as relevant in some respects.

rayner

Reaction score
With regard to fluoro lines I only use them when the colour drops from the water in winter, fishing commercials waters are generally coloured up.
In that instance I can't see a use for fluoro lines.
I said that Maxima is useless as an hooklength but in the 60s and 70s I used to use Maxima straight through on the Trent fishing lobs for chub. At the time I did quite well.
I now use clear line for tying hooks now and always work with diameter rather than BS.
Like others I use the same brands for hooklengths so know exactly how they perform especially for knotting. In fact when asked about the BS I have had to check because I was unsure.
As with all things, use whatever gives you confidence or what you're comfortable with.