Glass or Carbon for a quiver tip?

robtherake

Reaction score
One of my friends prefers using a sidewinder on still waters and swears by 'em when it's windy or even blowing a gale. He used them a lot when bream fishing in Ireland.

They're terrific for tight pegs and for days when its blowing a hoolie. Turns any rod into a quiver rod and they show up drop-backs particularly well, so they work well for island pegs and far margins. Drop them on an alarm and you have all the benefits of a springer set-up without having to clip line into the indicator after each cast.

With the fine tip on, and bearing in mind that the tip's several feet closer than a standard quivertip, any fish activity close to your rig registers on the tip so that after a bit of practice you can almost tell when a bite's about to happen.

I'm led to believe that they're only available from Go Outdoors as discontinued stock, so best be quick if that's true.

Richox12

Reaction score
Carbon tips are stiffer than glass so are better used on rivers with a bit of a flow, whereas a glass tip is more flexible and can be used for shy-biting fish especially on still waters . . . . . .

The test curve is the test curve. A 2oz carbon tip is the same as a 2oz glass tip. But carbon is more 'springey' and wants to recover quicker so is excellent for drop back bits. Also diameter doesn't mean stiffer/softer tips as the materials can vary enormously.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The test curve is the test curve. A 2oz carbon tip is the same as a 2oz glass tip.

Therein lies the big problem with test curves. Just because a rod or quiver tip has exactly the same rating does not mean that they will behave in the same way. A tip can have a 2oz rating and just bend for a few inches at the very tip. Another can have the same 2oz rating and bend right through its length. Though it isn't always the case, I'd expect a 2oz carbon tip to be closer to the former description. A 2oz glass tip is likely to be closer to the latter.

Richox12

Reaction score
Therein lies the big problem with test curves. Just because a rod or quiver tip has exactly the same rating does not mean that they will behave in the same way. A tip can have a 2oz rating and just bend for a few inches at the very tip. Another can have the same 2oz rating and bend right through its length. Though it isn't always the case, I'd expect a 2oz carbon tip to be closer to the former description. A 2oz glass tip is likely to be closer to the latter.

Quite true but that is the taper or 'action' not test curve. Glass & carbon can be fast taper (so just have the action biased toward the very tip) or slow taper (so the main 'body' of the tip is much more 'through' actioned). There are no rules for glass or carbon as either material can be used to make whatever test curve or action you want. So it cannot be said that carbon are fast taper or glass are slow taper etc etc. Ultimately, if a 2oz carbon tip has a 2oz load applied it will bend through 90 degrees and if a 2oz glass tip has a 2oz load applied to it then it also bends through 90 degrees. But depending upon the taper/action more or less of each tip will actually bend.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Quite true but that is the taper or 'action' not test curve. Glass & carbon can be fast taper (so just have the action biased toward the very tip) or slow taper (so the main 'body' of the tip is much more 'through' actioned). There are no rules for glass or carbon as either material can be used to make whatever test curve or action you want. So it cannot be said that carbon are fast taper or glass are slow taper etc etc. Ultimately, if a 2oz carbon tip has a 2oz load applied it will bend through 90 degrees and if a 2oz glass tip has a 2oz load applied to it then it also bends through 90 degrees. But depending upon the taper/action more or less of each tip will actually bend.

Absolutely, but that leaves your original assertion in tatters. Just because a tip has a 2oz rating does not make them the same.

Richox12

Reaction score
Absolutely, but that leaves your original assertion in tatters. Just because a tip has a 2oz rating does not make them the same.

I didn't mean that - although it isn't written well. I said the test curve is the test curve and so a 2oz carbon is the same as 2oz glass in terms of this test curve (e.g it takes the same weight or force to pull both through 90 degrees). A 2oz test curve is a 2oz test curve no matter the material the tip is made from. It cannot be said carbon tips are stiffer than glass tips as they can be made exactly in the reverse. However, even with the exact same test curve the tips can still behave differently due to taper, action etc.

Craig Hunt

Reaction score
I didn't mean that - although it isn't written well. I said the test curve is the test curve and so a 2oz carbon is the same as 2oz glass in terms of this test curve (e.g it takes the same weight or force to pull both through 90 degrees). A 2oz test curve is a 2oz test curve no matter the material the tip is made from.

Just to throw a spanner into that theory, also brand comes into it. Anybody with a shimano quivertip rod should set it up and see how much weight it takes to actually pull the tip through 90 degrees. I measured various shimano tips, taking into account they were £19 each, and 1/2oz was allegedly 1.5oz, as an example.