How did you get on?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Prior to going my Mum's for a few days, I thought I'd sneak in a quick session before domestic duties took over.

I cubed some Spam to circa 15mm and unpacked another new set up in the interests of testing.

Arrived at the river to find I had the stretch pretty much to myself so opted for a swim on the weir with an island mid river to my left (the swim the sea trout came out of a couple of weeks back).

A cut priced purchased Hardy Marksman (I blame over exposure to Binka and his writings!! - that and being a bargain-loving Northener at heart), a Preston PC-R reel spooled with 6.6lb mono made up the set-up. An ounce and a half Kamasan black cap feeder to the usual size 14 to 6lb bottom.

With one eye on the weather, it looked very likely that a nasty front was moving in as the Met Office had predicted so this might have to be a quick one.

Feeder tooled with reds and hemp and a cube of Spam impaled, out it went into the shade of the island. The feeder held just about perfectly and I felt quite confident that bites would be forthcoming.

The first one fair rattled the tip after half an hour so. Gutted to say I missed it - by a country mile. I decided it must be a dace, made me feel better to think so.

Respammed and refeedered, back out. Unusually for me, exactly the same place. Confident again - hopefully. Fifteen minutes or so and, again, whanggg. Hit it and held it, game on!! But not for long. A less than mighty chub around the pound mark was my reward. A modest start but a start, nonetheless.

We'll meat again - and I did. Another cube on and back out, just as a Kingfisher shot past, looking like it wanted to get home before the weather turned nasty. Still put a smile on my face though, always does.

Twenty minutes down the line and another smacking bite, the accompanying sweep connected with something that felt a bit more solid. That something began to kite for the brambles in front of me and Mr Chevin, for twas he without doubt, would soon hopefully have me smiling again.

And that was exactly what happened, netted it went 2lbs, maybe a couple of ounces higher but no more than that. The slightly unusual thing about this fish was the chub often show their travails here, scars, missing bits of fin, that sort of thing - this one was a real George Clooney of a fish, looked like it had just come off a production line.

Back out, again with an eye on the weather. Half an hour or so later and the tip rattled, I hesitated half a second too long and struck fresh air. My own fault, fortune favours the brave and it rightly laughed at me.

And that was it. I didn't like the look of the weather so I packed down, happy with the rod and the reel, both debutants. I managed to get onto the road quite easily for once, the weather having cut down the traffic to a minimum.

The short drive home passed in a flash and much as I love me old mum, I knew I could sneak at least one more session in before going back to work. Just hope the weather holds. According to a colleague, he reckons El Nino is all over the place (mind, I thought the whole Man United team were last night) and this coming Winter will be the worst since the mini Ice Age of 1963.

Hope he's wrong but we'll get to know before too long, I guess.

Happy Fishing.

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Hugh,

Fabulous fishing in Florida isn't it! I was fishing on Bahia Honda Key one evening with floatfished live shrimp and had several small tarpon between 20-30lbs. It was deep water, when hooked near the surface, they would dive to the bottom then swim to the surface and leap clear of the water. All so fast the line was still pointing down when the fish were in the air! Unforgettable experience.

It certainly is a special place. I didn't catch anything that big but they really put up a fight. Would love to hook up a tarpon - i saw something very big (4-5ft long) on my first session which was putting up some pretty big fish so assumed it was tarpon or shark - bit worrying as it was only maybe 20 yards away and I was wading up to my knees.

If we come again I'd like to go to the keys - looks fantastic!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Had a swim full of chub last evening and blanked! Had a couple of chances but failed on all accounts. They probably turned on at approx 10.01pm :)

Proper rain today, Stour is on the rise, Avon isn't, might have a switch of venue and a chance of a barbel tomorrow?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Perhaps I should have added I had about an hour of trotting with flake hoping they would wake up in the last minutes before the light faded. Well that was the plan and I did hit considerable resistance when the float buried for the one and only time. That turned out to be an angry Grilse which I bullied a bit too much - my favourite Greys Power Float is now a 4 piece and probably beyond repair :eek:mg:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
If it's a Prodigy Power Float, give me a shout.;)

Definitely not a Prodigy, more of an OAP! An old Greys I acquired 3rd or 4th hand a number of years ago. Became my favourite tool for big Stour chub in winter. Might just have to invest in a proper modern rod this time :)

rubio

Reaction score
Perhaps I should have added I had about an hour of trotting with flake hoping they would wake up in the last minutes before the light faded. Well that was the plan and I did hit considerable resistance when the float buried for the one and only time. That turned out to be an angry Grilse which I bullied a bit too much - my favourite Greys Power Float is now a 4 piece and probably beyond repair :eek:mg:

Some might even suggest that you were bullying a bit and a half at least.
Sickening when it happens innit?

B

binka

Had a very nice, relaxing session on a day ticket stretch of the Trent again today with Crow.

Chilly start though, the air temperature around seven o’clock this morning was a parky 6° and the heavy dew on the grass had that white’ish tinge to it that gave it the appearance of a very near miss ground frost.

Despite this we both had a lather on within the first hour or two as the sun was so strong, so strong in fact that we ended up moving swims because we were struggling to see what we were doing...

The river itself was crystal clear despite some steady rain on and off over the last few days and not really any higher for it either and this showed in the time it took to get even the silvers going on the stick whilst Crow went out on the feeder just upstream.

I started to get into a few dace and chublets on the light stick rod whilst the heavy Avon set up lay waiting for the barbel to turn up and despite running the heavy rig through occasionally it was the lighter presentation that the barbel preferred but unlike last week where I landed some good fish on very light gear (whilst targeting other species) I lost the first two fish to line breaks right on the spade of the size eighteen hook, this was despite double checking everything and whipping a good eight turns before making sure the hook was hanging perfectly from the front of the spade.

A bit of speculation as to what the first fish might have been as, despite hitting it down the edge we were a good sixty or so yards apart before it parted company after kiting into mid-river and then going on a searing run up the opposite side... A very big barbel or a river carp, certainly in a different league to those of last week.

Meanwhile Crow was in and had bagged a spotless barbel of around 5lbs and I was starting to add a few netter perch to my modest tally of stick caught silvers before I decided to rig up the light stick float on the heavier rod and line as I felt the Avon rig was just too heavy and I thought I’d cracked it after hitting into what felt like another nice barbel only to have the size fourteen hook pull out shortly after the fish had moved out into the main flow!

Crow was then in again and bagged a very nicely proportioned fish which went a light 9lbs 7ozs shortly before I started playing tug of war with a pike which was determined to go the full nine rounds until he saw the landing net and let go at a point where there was so much pressure on the poor perch which it had ambushed it then flew out of the water and hit me on the shoulder!

Miraculously the little fella went back fine but what a day he'd had eh?

Another round of tug of war a little later into the afternoon with what I suspect was the same pike and again I was a perch to the good by the end of it.

A great craic once again, I reckon Crow did extremely well to winkle a couple of fish out considering the very bright conditions on a cold start, gin clear river that has been a bit off colour of late and will probably remain so until it finally gets some colour running through it.

For me it was a nice brassy chub that added an air of respectability to the day…

Nice one Crow, a great day out again… :w

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I should have been at my Mum's today but fate had other ideas. Mum rang at 9.30am full of apologies. In short, for reasons I won't bore you with I was asked to defer till tomorrow. No worries, Mum. The packed bag stayed where it was and my clothing was changed for fishing kit.

The remnants of the cubed Spam were thrown in the car and I drove to Longham, hoping yesterday's rain hadn't done the river any major damage.

It hadn't, in fact the river looked perfect. I couldn't wait to get kicked off. I opted for my Daiwa Infinity barbel 1.75lb, Preston PXR 5000, 10lb line and 2oz Drennan feeder ending in a size 12 to 6.6lb link.

There were two or three other fellas on the stretch but my weir swim was free so I nabbed it. I set up in double quick time, hooked up a cube and filled the feeder with hemp and some of the few reds I had left.

Cast to the right of the island, the rod in the rest and a flask of coffee, all good. After half an hour, and three casts to get some splodge in, it got better - a lot better.

I'd just finished looking a medium sized brown bird and scratching my head wondering what it was when the tip went round....and stopped about three postcodes down river. I couldn't miss the bite, I could, I suppose, have missed the rod as it left the rest but fortunately I held on and the solid resistance of a full sack of coal moving at a reasonable speed told me this was something interesting.

It charged down river seemingly right down the middle of the river and, after what seemed a lifetime, I managed to turn it and felt it come back as I regained line.

I remembered thinking that if was a chub, it could be a real dog - the kind Longham has a real, solid reputation for. My best was caught more than 20years ago and I wouldn't be at all sorry to beat it but it wasn't to be.

The fish topped and I silently whooped, it was a barbel. Not a monster but I didn't care, my first Stour barbel. Very, very pleased. I'd estimate it at about 4and a half pounds. Terrific. I held it in the current until it swam away strongly, with a kick.

Back out and somewhere around an hour and a half later, the tip rattled then dipped. Hit and again, game on. A chub, around a pound and a half. Grateful for it but not much more to say really.

The day was very pleasant, with reasonable sunshine and truth be told, I was quite enjoying this extra "bonus" session.

Another hour or so of coffee and thoughts and, like buses, two more chub in very quick succession, one around 12oz, the other about a pound and a quarter.

The next hour was completely fruitless, nary a rattle, a whisper, nothing.

As I still hadn't had a haircut, I packed up and after getting cleaned up, I finally hit the kids' commune that passes for a barber's.

So, that's my fishing done till Wednesday and then, one last one before going back to work. After today though, I'm a happy bunny.

Best to all. :)

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well done on the barbel!

Longham was one of my favourites for chub and barbel 30+ years ago and even better before they altered the course of the river down the lower end above Dudsbury. Both the old CAC stretch and the free stretch opposite produced some stunning barbel in particular.

The family of otters typically at home around the Water Works and other issues have radically changed the make up of the area.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Looked at the Stour but ended up on the Avon above Ibsley!

Up a few inches and holding a tinge of colour so decided to trot the final hour of daylight and then switch to the feeder in the hope of a chub. Plenty of quality dace from the off and ended with over 30 to around10oz for about 9lbs/10lbs.

The next 2+ hours are best forgotten as I was continually wiped out by rafts of floating weed, but that is the Avon!

PSX_20150917_233034-800x579.jpg

View image in gallery

denzinho

Reaction score
I have'nt posted in a while but I have enjoyed looking at the articles and pictures you guys have provided on this thread. I caught this last month and its one of the highlights of my year so far.

5f440g.jpg

Caught on worm weighed 2lb 15oz, gutted? NO! my previous PB being 1.8oz. When I held this it was like a tank. The shear size of her was over whelming but at the same time pleasing. She was Fin perfect (sorry for no dorsal shot).

tincatim

Reaction score
I've not been on in a while, mainly due to being very busy with work and family but also because I've been sulking from a fishing point of view.

Although it's technically not 'how I got on today', I feel last Sunday's fishing trip deserves a mention. If for no other reason than to help me get over it and move on.

The last few times out on the bank have only been short two hour trips after work or first thing in the morning. I'd not been repeating my July success with the barbel and chub and I was ready for a longer fishing day than two hours. So, I planned a day at a local fishery, a good mixed fishery, commercially stocked but a natural lake in beautiful surroundings. I've had some great days here before so hoped for more of the same.
I bought some 6mm and 8mm hard pellets along with some micros for the feeder, some corn, and half a pint of red maggots. Planning to swap between method feeder and pole, for the carp, tench and bream. I was up at 5:30, made some lovely thick ham and mustard sandwiches, filled a flask with coffee and headed off for a good days fishing. I arrived at the fishery just before 7am only to be greeted by the owner and told there's a match on, both lakes! They never have matches on both lakes, how inconsiderate I thought.

With commercial type tackle and bait I decided I needed to find somewhere nearby that would give me a chance of success. I didn't fancy the canal or river with only half a pint of maggots and carp pellets. I remembered a commercial only a few miles away that I had a good winter session on a couple of years ago and headed there. When I arrived the gates were shut, opened at 8am apparently (already lost an hour of my day!) and there was a match on, no, make that two matches on! There was one strip of canal style 'snake lake' available for pleasure anglers. I debated what to do and thought sod it, I'll try it. £6 later and I'm walking to my peg.
If you've ever seen a snake lake you'll know they're not noted for their natural features and beauty. I walked the length and decided the only two pegs that had anything different I offer were the end pegs, so I set up in the first one. No point in setting up a feeder rod as it was only 13m to the far bank so I opted for the pole, my trusty Garbolino Spyder that's served me proudly since 1993!

I picked a rig with 4ft depth and a 0.3g NG Ghandi float. 0.17 guru n-gauge mainline to 0.15 hooklength. That's 6lb to 5lb in old money. It was the first time using this line and I found it to be a bit dodgy, with overhand loops slipping easily. I added a Kamasan 16 B911 and a plummet and shipped out to find no more than 18 inches of water throughout the entire swim! That's never right. I even wandered up the bank with the pole at full length and dropped into the next 6 pegs, maximum depth? 2ft! Hmmm.

By this stage I was losing interest and feeling disappointed with my choices. I set up anyway and potted in a load of micros, corn and 6mm pellets in two places. I waited half an hour before I realised there might be a fish in the swim, my float dipped and I lifted into nothing. Probably a liner. Anyway, I eventually caught and a landed a fish, it was a common carp of around 9-10lbs and put up a good fight in that shallow water. By this time the matchmen had turned up and were offering plenty of advice. Namely you need to be using 20 elastic to get fish out of here as there was a hidden channel through to the next strip of the snake lake and the carp would bolt for it every time. My only top kit was loaded with 10-14 hollow. If I could turn them and get them going the other way I knew I could land them. Problem was, I couldn't turn them.

It took a long time to get another bite after the commotion of the first one. This time the fish headed for the gap and snagged me straight away, had to pull for a break and lost my whole rig to the reeds, the line parting at the stonfo connector. Annoyed at losing a float I set up again and went back out, couldn't get a bit anywhere but near to the gap, close to the vegetation. Next bite, all hell broke lose and I pulled hard to try and turn it, the bloody thing took me through the bushes and snagged my elastic this time. Isn't it clever how once snagged they can slip the hook and make their escape? After hearing many stories of pole floats impaling eyes and finger nails, I wrapped my hand in a towel and pulled the elastic. Man this stuff stretches! Eventually it went and I lost another rig, and the connecter. This is the point when I should've gone home.

But no, I had some more elastic and a spare connecter so I poured myself a coffee and re-elasticated. As I was moving about I stupidly managed to knock my flask off and into the water, losing my coffee in the process and scaring off any carp stupid enough to still be there.
Determined to salvage some angling success out of the day I went back out with another rig. The fish were near the snags, no bites anywhere else so I found myself venturing closer and closer as I got bored. I dropped my rig in as close to the bank as I could and finally got a bite! Another angry carp tore off into the gap, God knows what was so exciting for them on the other side! Anyway, this one snagged me again, slipped the hook and left me with 20 metres off elastic stretched out. This time it was really stuck, so tense was the pressure as I pulled I was scared of being shot dead by a tiny pole float. Like an idiot, I used the top kit to pull with. There was only going to be one winner and my old faithful pole of over 20 years crumbled in my hands. Dead.

So that was that, probably the worst days fishing I can remember. I'll not be going back there anytime soon, it's not my kind of venue.
On the plus side my dearest has suggested that £300 for a new pole isn't bad and I've just been to the tackle shop to buy two pints of maggots, I've tackled up a stick float rod and I'm heading for the river in the morning. Much more my cup of tea, or muddy coffee.