Late summer/Autumn Trent barbel fish-in

• Thread starter Herr General Swordsy
  • Start date

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve,

Are you nuts ?

The last time we had Ron Clay down here it took 3 years for Salisbury to recover!

Now, you are thinking of inviting him and the rest of the DLVC mob?
(Or whatever they call 'emselves now.)

Seriously though, if you are after the Avon Roach then forget the Summer and start in a couple of weeks time but only if we have had some torrential downpours of rain in the meantime.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Greg if you used your maggot bolt rig feeder on 3 lakes you are going to get pestered with little perch.

I would suggest you use bread flake, sweetcorn or even mini boilies. The roach will no doubt be used to a boilie diet with the amount that gets chucked in there.

I've had my best catches on float tackle fished right next to the marginal lilies. It's very deep in some areas so a sliding of Polaris float will work well.

And could you get Ben Miles to comb his hair please.

I'll open a new thread on this subject, decribing the venue. If there is any further interest I'll get hold of the bailiff and see if he can accomodate us. I am sure he will.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Jim, Bryan and their mate (sorry I don't know you name) got on?

It was miles to far to walk all the way down to your pegs, plus if I'd have spent too much time down wind of Chris' curry I'd have really wanted some.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
No Baz everything still here. Jim had 1 Bream Alan Strikland blanked and i had a Chub me and Jim also shared a Bream screamer of a run and i was out the bivvy first and hit the fish on jims gear. We all caught on the float just out from the trees in the slack. Small perch, roach, dace, Gudgeon and bleak on maggot.

Another enjoyable event and at least the weather was kind to us. Look forward to the next one.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Paul, I gave up with the pin in the end as the wind picked up and that combined with my inability to cast made me angry. I tried the Wallis cast too and ended up in an even worse state with a hooked finger.

I shall be selling my river floats or burning them and will use it for stillwater Tench and light ledger work, maybe.

I was considering contacting the club which runs the stretch of Derwent in Derby for a possible Chub or Pike fish in this winter. Thermal suits at the ready!

M

matt thomas

i'm up for ;
a)pike fish in
b)roach fish in
c)tinca fish in
d)chub/barbel fish in
e)piss up and social on the bank

or all of the above together

i will not
a)gonk snatch
b)scratch on a canal in zero temps
c)fluff fling(cos i can't do it)
d)pay for piss up on the bank,although i will contribute some monies.

i need to ressurect my reputation by not blanking at said fish-ins

love ya all
matt

Reaction score
I'm with Matt T...

Really enjoy all coarse species...rivers or natural/ long established lakes would be my preference.

Don't suppose we can have a more central midland venue tho this time?

Got really funny looks for duration of three hour train journey back to Warwickshire smellin of Source boilies and chub slime, with eyes like some sort of panda psycho! :)

Paul B

Reaction score
Matt T, what on earth is gonk snatching?

Pikey Paul, thought only Adam was into extreme piercing ;) don't burn the floats , you'll be alright with a bit of practise! You're not on your own, I can't wallis cast either :(

M

matt thomas

that beautiful little barbel lookylike the gudgeon,fished with one maggot only until it is an inch long from being sucked

sometimes the saviour of a match or a blank

smudge

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was with Paul Mallinson and just thought I'd say thanks to everyone who organised it and especially chris for his curry, it was better than my mothers cooking by far. Anyway when will the next date be set as I'll hopefully get a lift with Paul if he's home from work and going. Just to inform Gregg who left before I caught my barbel (by about 6 hours) I got my very first one, weighing in at about 3/4lb's it was small but still my first and will remain in my mind for a long time.

T

Tony Rocca

If I go on the next one and anyone wants to be show how to wallis cast i would be happy to help. If I dont then shout Matt Brown, he can do it.

C

Chub King

Well done Smudge - great result! Before you know it you'll be a barbel expert! I can Wallis Cast too (on a good day!).

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I won't burn them really :0)

Wasn't really a suitable peg near me, trees everywhere and the wind picked up blowing into my cast. Just get easily frustrated sometimes, especially combined with sleep deprivation!

Can someone cook a curry near our peg next time, it's only fair. I'm disappointed I didn't get to meet any more new faces, I thought a stroll at 9.30 Sunday morning would suffice but no, you'd all had enough by then!

Paul B

Reaction score
Matt T- ta, had a few gudgeon trotting saturday!

Tony- I may just take you up on that offer, thanks!

J

jason fisher

im never ever ever saying im going on a fish in again. managed to avoid this one by having a hellish dose of the shits for 3 days AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!