Low diameter line for reel line.

dicky123

Reaction score
Keith.

I've got to catch one first trotting:eek:mg: currently I'm having a struggle to get fish feeding in the swim. I can catch everything else, but the Babel this season are eluding me. So maybe you see every little edge, I'm seeking for help.

I've ordered the line mentioned in 10lb. Might be a bit to thick at .22. What 6lb line do you use out of interest?

Might go down to 8lb this winter, but it had to float.

Richard.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But because it's pre-stretched and of a far lower diameter you can use a higher breaking strain.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Err, not quite right that really...ok you can use so called heavier b/s and have lower diameters but you tie 6lb sensor to 8lb low diameter and the low diameter will snap well before the sensor even flinches, so it isn't worth bothering lol.

I've tried low diameter on my centrepins for trotting and the normal mono is way better. It's stiffer than low diameter mono, casts and mends better, it doesn't blow round the reel foot etc etc like low diameter either so imo it's a no brainer....standard mono on the reel.
I've caught hundreds of barbel on 6lb sensor fished straight through and have even had 43 varying in size from 5lb to 10lb in one session in bright sunshine and low clear water , plus a number of other species in the mix.

I think anyone having trouble getting connected with barbel when trotting should look at their set up... bait and hooks, the way their running their float through, depths etc etc....jmo.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Not exactly barbel gear but hope this proves a point as tigger has pointed out.
I have in my hand clarkes 0.10 2.6lb and some Bayer 0.12 1.7lb when knotted together and pulled the clakes breaks every time. You cant trust the labels try it for yourself.

lutra

Reaction score
Hi Keith,

Appreciate your point of view. But most barbel anglers ledger, I'd guess 90%. Then I use Daiwa Tornament in 8lb and 6lb. But for float fishing, I think you really have to think first about presentation.

It's ok thinking about abrasion resistance, shock absorbency, and such if you cannot get bites. Example.

Fished near a chap the other day on the Trent, he could only get bites on such fine tackle, landing a barbel would have been a bonus. After losing several he gave up, not wanting to damage the fish, Barbless hooks yes.

10lb hi etc line can be as low as .20 about the same as 5lb Bayer? On a soft float rod with snags all over the place on the Trent, I'd opt for the Hi tec. But it's only my humble opinion. It then allows one to use a hook link of about 6lb, this would be a fine line with a modicum of stretch.

Richard.

Richard.

Personally Like others on here that have caught many barbel on float gear Richard, I just think your going to make it hard for yourself using hi tec main line.

Much better to use a float rod with a bit of power deep down or you will find it very hard to land them and almost impossible in any flow.

If you want good presentation, its your hooklength that counts the most not your main line. Using a main line with less stretch will really limit how fine you can go with your hooklength.

A 6lb hooklength on a match rod (even a stepped up one) is a tow rope and not good presentation to me.

dicky123

Reaction score
I've just got a Daiwa Spectron 13/15 rated 3 to 8lb, so it should be good for barbel. I've loads of spools of Daiwa line so may try it on the pin. 6lb Daiwa breaks at 8lb I'm reliably told?

Thanks.

Richard.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just got a Daiwa Spectron 13/15 rated 3 to 8lb, so it should be good for barbel. I've loads of spools of Daiwa line so may try it on the pin. 6lb Daiwa breaks at 8lb I'm reliably told?

Thanks.

Richard.

That rod will be good. I think sensor breaks at 7 to 8lb although I can't be sure what others break at. A good combination for you would be six pound mainline and six pound low diameter hook length...personally i'd just go straight through on the majority of occasions.