Lure Patterns

P

pointngo

purple is a favourite colour of mine but it only comes into it's own in clear water, as does blue.

it's all to do with light availability, water clarity and the different response of colours to light throughout the colour spectrum.

red looks grey the deeper it is and is said to happen at around 15ft, whereas the blue end of the spectrum, including purple, is still visible at depth... if the water is clear.

Water clarity plays a big part here though. If there is a lot of suspended particles, ie murky water, then all basic colours disappear to some extent and that's when fluoro colours, and bright colours like white, yellow, chartreuse etc, are still visible. A basic or prime colour lure in deep, murky water will become pretty much invisible unless it's inches away from a fish. In waters that are normally coloured it isn't so much of a problem as the pike have learnt to use vibration/water pressure changes as their primary hunting method but in a water that's normally clear that turns dirty it's often a waste of time.

one exception i've found though... glow in the dark lures seem to work best in clear water, and in daylight, for me at least!? Work that one out! :confused:

P

pointngo

The thing is Marc, until I'd read Kagayama's book, all my own conclusions with regard to lure colours, and weather and water conditions were based on empirical experience garnered over many years. At that time had you asked me why this or that lure worked in those particular conditions, my answer would have been speculative at best. But after reading his book it's comforting to know that there is a scientific answer. So, like the Irishman, I took his advice before he gave it.

Hi Derek,

I've now read the book once and mulled it over for a few days. Like you my thoughts were based entirely of observation so it's good to see that I wasn't far off the mark and, more importantly, for the right reasons.

It has given me a much better mental image of how things really look underwater though and a much needed kick up the @rse regarding contrast, which i've only touched on before. It's also made me think about a spraying a couple of new, for me, lure patterns to try when I make a few lures. In fact, it's got me thinking about a number of things. For that reason the book is a very good read.

Not sure if it would inspire me to buy his See-Best System though as surely they are just colour filters.

Happy New Year to you and yours Derek.

Marc :w