Maggot longevity

rubio

Reaction score
I've still got a few half pint bags of old caster in the freezer from new year. Wish I'd taken 'em with me after work today. Instead I took my own advice and fished with bread. Not a touch!

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks for that Peter, 9 days sounds about right and Degree/Hours definitely rings a bell.

9 days! Am I missing something here? I'd be gutted if my maggots only lasted a week and a half.

For a point of reference I've still got a half a pint that was bought on the 11th and aside from one fishing trip(12th) they have been left alone with a lid on in their original maize in the fridge. Not got any turning yet and look fine.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
9 days! Am I missing something here? I'd be gutted if my maggots only lasted a week and a half.

For a point of reference I've still got a half a pint that was bought on the 11th and aside from one fishing trip(12th) they have been left alone with a lid on in their original maize in the fridge. Not got any turning yet and look fine.

I am sure that there is anecdotal evidence of maggot lasting a lot longer, and indeed an awful lot less, depending on when they were delivered and bought from the shop.

My figures came straight from the breeder himself and as I said, when importing 14 to 20 gallons every two weeks you soon learn how to look after them . . . . . . . .

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel a close season competition coming on.

Who can keep half a pint of maggots for the longest before they turn into casters?

We need rules and an invigilator so we don't get any ringers. Any suggestions?

theartist

Reaction score
I'm keeping mine till the 16th Titus:D .

---------- Post added at 02:07 ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 ----------

I am sure that there is anecdotal evidence of maggot lasting a lot longer, and indeed an awful lot less, depending on when they were delivered and bought from the shop.

My figures came straight from the breeder himself and as I said, when importing 14 to 20 gallons every two weeks you soon learn how to look after them . . . . . . . .

Sounds like he spun you a bit of jargon mate, I guess it wouldn't be in a maggot breeders best interests to have maggots lasting ages in our fridges.

If someone is going to give you a formula one would hope it's from impartial scientific research otherwise i'd treat it with a pinch of salt. One thing he's got right is he treats his maggots better than I, given that most the time they just sit there with the lid on and I just riddle them the day before I use them. Yet they still last way longer than his formula.

I could also add another 5 days at least to the age of my current batch as all they had left were mixed and were due another delivery. That would make them at least 18 days old as of now and whilst they are looking a bit lethargic at the moment, none have turned and they liven up once taken out. By no means would they be as good as new but they are still decent.

Last edited:

retrobob

Reaction score

Yes! Daily pictures with the current newspaper required.

maritimesbob

Reaction score
Never expected my maggot topic to generate such excitement!

Thanks again, maggots purchased and with some of the advice taken onboard, I am sure I'll be fine for Sun/Mon.

Keeping them in the cold garage, clean maize, large airy containers.

I'll give the formulas a miss :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

theartist

Reaction score
Never expected my maggot topic to generate such excitement!

Thanks again, maggots purchased and with some of the advice taken onboard, I am sure I'll be fine for Sun/Mon.

Keeping them in the cold garage, clean maize, large airy containers.

I'll give the formulas a miss :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Good luck Sunday mate let us know how you get on

rubio

Reaction score
If the weather isn't to your liking you could sit in a quiet, and maybe dark room contemplating how to put a tag into a maggot for the endurance wriggle record!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolutely wonderful stuff, so thanks for that Titus.....made me smile on this miserable, dank morning !

maritimesbob

Reaction score
Managed to grab a couple of hours fishing this afternoon

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=33

However I forgot the maggots and left them at home. They have doing well though!!

On another note, do tackle shops not sell good old brown breadcrumb anymore?

Tried to buy a bag and all the local shops here sell those small bags of flavoured groundbait from the big brands. Fella told me most shops don't sell that anymore, it's old school/ :confused:

dangermouse

Reaction score
Managed to grab a couple of hours fishing this afternoon

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=33

However I forgot the maggots and left them at home. They have doing well though!!

On another note, do tackle shops not sell good old brown breadcrumb anymore?

Tried to buy a bag and all the local shops here sell those small bags of flavoured groundbait from the big brands. Fella told me most shops don't sell that anymore, it's old school/ :confused:

White and brown crumb is readily available around here. However if you can`t find any why not just make some yourself? Buy a cheap blender then hit the supermarkets in the late evening and buy up the cheap loaves that are usually on offer. Failing that there`s always t`internet, I`m sure someone out there is selling crumb.

maritimesbob

Reaction score
Yeah think I'll go about making some myself like I used to.

Unfortunately a lot of the tackle shops down here are more geared to sea fishing, understandable considering it's a county with a lot of coast!

theartist

Reaction score
Bumping this old thread in the name of science, well sort of....

Took my maggots out the fridge for the first time since last season and they were tiny to say the least but still no casters so was surprised at that. Even more surprising was when I got to the pond to find them twice the size and wriggling well and not much smaller than the fresh ones we bought on the way.

Probably tainted the experiment my mixing them but as all the new ones are reds I can still see how long they could last. Also a day in yesterdays heat will take it's toll.

The light pink ones seem to be larger now than the other colours and caught quite a few nice roach and rudd on them although the solitary tench was caught on the new reds.

These maggots are now 6 weeks old