Marketing!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dont see how that could effect someones judgement ,surely people dont think that they will catch more fish because they use the same pole or rod as Steve Ringer(Example) Do they??:confused:

Oh yes they do!...sad ain't it? :(

---------- Post added at 05:55 ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 ----------

[QUOTE)la

Anyway you cant get much better a range of fishing tackle then what drennan has on offer!

Personally i dont think Drennan have ever made a bad product,have they?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can beat Drennan, they don't ram their products down your throat ether!
I like how they let there sponsored Anglers advertise other companies products too, it builds trust with the consumer by showing then they are an honest and fair company :)

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 ----------

As you know ,on another well known forum certain sponsered anglers are always pushing their brands items,even though they dont actually use them,now to some people that is obviously a good enough recommendation to buy them!:rolleyes:

chefster,

With you being in the catering trade you may have noticed celebrity Chefs such as James martin promoting sets of cheap knives and people are buying them because they think they are the knives he uses, when actually he uses Wusthof knives!

(by the way chefster, I bought my Wusthof Ikon knives because they suit me, not because some jumped up TV Chef said I should :))

Right, back on topic then! ;)

paul80

Reaction score
One other thing to take into account is, if I go into any of the tackle shops around my area all they stock is Korda, Nash and Fox, so everyone is limited to those over priced brands, this lack of gear also limits what their customers can fish for, none of them sell anything more than a handful of floats or small hooks. Everyone is almost being forced into Carp fishing to the detriment of course fishing.

No wonder so much more business is now being done on the internet, and its not getting any better, its so bad where I live the even the lakes have removed all their silver fish so they can get more carp squeezed in.

I find modern a fish a chuck carp fishing just so damned boring.

Paul

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have a guy at work that is really into his Carp and when I listen to him in the canteen he sounds like a TV commercial! All this lad talks about is brands, not how he fishes, but how one brand looks better on the bank than others. This chap has just swapped his perfectly good Daiwa reels for a set of 3 Daiwa Basia big pits because he says he needs the best (they ought to be at £700 a piece :eek:) but the scary thing is he has had a loan to pay for them and he hasn't told his wife! No wonder people get in such a mess with debt when they are being duped in to buying expensive gear because the marketing men says its what you need :eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
This chap has just swapped his perfectly good Daiwa reels for a set of 3 Daiwa Basia big pits because he says he needs the best (they ought to be at £700 a piece :eek:) but the scary thing is he has had a loan to pay for them and he hasn't told his wife! No wonder people get in such a mess with debt when they are being duped in to buying expensive gear because the marketing men says its what you need :eek:mg:

To be fair to Daiwa, I've not seen an inordinate amount of plugging Basias. The fact that some eejit is so feeble minded to believe that having the best gear is going to make his life wonderful, isn't exactly their fault. You can't blame marketing men for everything. They can't force anyone to cough up or buy what they can't afford.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To be fair to Daiwa, I've not seen an inordinate amount of plugging Basias. The fact that some eejit is so feeble minded to believe that having the best gear is going to make his life wonderful, isn't exactly their fault. You can't blame marketing men for everything. They can't force anyone to cough up or buy what they can't afford.

I agree Sam, maybe I should have said Danny Fairbrass is to blame :)
Nick, the lad at work somehow thinks this guy Danny is a God! I mentioned something about fox Carp tackle at work the other day and he said that I should look on you tube at the Korda videos and see what those guys use...The best, apparently!

richiekelly

Reaction score
We have a guy at work that is really into his Carp and when I listen to him in the canteen he sounds like a TV commercial! All this lad talks about is brands, not how he fishes, but how one brand looks better on the bank than others. This chap has just swapped his perfectly good Daiwa reels for a set of 3 Daiwa Basia big pits because he says he needs the best (they ought to be at £700 a piece :eek:) but the scary thing is he has had a loan to pay for them and he hasn't told his wife! No wonder people get in such a mess with debt when they are being duped in to buying expensive gear because the marketing men says its what you need :eek:mg:

Just goes to show that "care in the community" doesn't work.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One other thing to take into account is, if I go into any of the tackle shops around my area all they stock is Korda, Nash and Fox, so everyone is limited to those over priced brands, this lack of gear also limits what their customers can fish for, none of them sell anything more than a handful of floats or small hooks. Everyone is almost being forced into Carp fishing to the detriment of course fishing.

No wonder so much more business is now being done on the internet, and its not getting any better, its so bad where I live the even the lakes have removed all their silver fish so they can get more carp squeezed in.

I find modern a fish a chuck carp fishing just so damned boring.

Paul

That because it is carp catching not carp fishing:wh

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
As someone who was never experienced and returned to fishing after a gap of around 40 years, I feel there is very little unbiased information on tackle available to newcomers. Most magazines only reveiw tackle manufactured by the Companies buying advertising, the main writers, TV presenters and the better known anglers are usually sponsored so, to the uninitiated, the tackle brands they use and promote will seem to be the best.

The only honest reveiws are, IMHO, those presented by forums such as FM and experienced anglers willing to discuss the relative merits of differing tackle (unless it's a centre pin:wh). I bought a JW travel Avon on the strength of a reveiw on here and have been more than satisfied with it's performance. On the word of those on here who have them, I have bought Shimano reels and Korum luggage and again been more than happy with both. After I had been fishing for just over a year I felt confident enough to choose a float rod for trotting but still asked for opinions on this forum again the advice was sound and even though many have personal preferences I valued their opinions.

Perhaps the more experienced anglers on here could give reveiws on the new tackle they purchase for the benefit of those currently suffering the propaganda issued by sections of the tackle industry.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Perhaps the more experienced anglers on here could give reveiws on the new tackle they purchase for the benefit of those currently suffering the propaganda issued by sections of the tackle industry.

They often do. However, even this way is not without flaws. Human nature means that their own preferences will often shine through. They'll often have a bias for or against certain brands that aren't necessarily entirely logical. They may also not have the broad market experience required to be genuinely informed.

I know for certain that I have a couple of irrational bias, I won't give Shakespeare stuff a thought, despite my reasons for doing so being rooted in experiences twenty to thirty years ago. That doesn't mean that I'm prepared to slate modern Shakespeare kit, I'm just not going to even try it, regardless of how good or bad it might be.

In a similar vein, less than five years ago, I wouldn't have touched a Shimano rod with a bargepole after a poor experience with one rod. I ended up picking up a Shimano rod in a sale rack a couple of years ago, purely because it was massively reduced, and loved it. Since then, I've bought several Shimano rods, many of them being models that most have shunned. I now regard them just as highly as I did Daiwa fifteen to twenty years ago. However, I can happily admit that I'd have been perfectly happy to stick with Daiwa had it not been for the cost and a nasty touch of single brand OCD that I (and plenty of others) display.

Rods I have are Fox, Greys, Korum, Daiwa and Shimano. Reels are Shimano except Abu for closed face. However, that doesn't mean that I can't admit that any of them can't produce rubbish at times. Luckily, as I get older and more experienced, my ability to sort the wheat from the chaff gets more refined. I can pick up a rod in a shop, give it a brief waggle and have a good idea whether it fits the bill for me. However, that only really works for me and anyone that might happen to share my, sometimes illogical, preferences.
I know a few folk that would probably give my ideas of a good rod strong consideration if I made a recommendation. However, I don't really expect a stranger to. They don't know me, don't know my preferences and I'll never be a big name expert. I'm simply not a good enough angler, nor do I seek the requisite attention.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
They may also not have the broad market experience required to be genuinely informed.

At least it's an honest and unbiased opinion though Sam, the best advice you gave me was to try as many rods as possible and see which one felt "right". I can always pass that on to anybody and it's more honest than the blind recommendation of one brand.

terry m

Reaction score

I think that peer pressure from fellow anglers may be as much to blame as any marketing mogul.

'Tis a sad fact that individuals such as the person you quote simply have to have what they perceive as the best regardless of what their hobby or pastime is.

We live in a materialistic world.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There is a counter-argument; decades ago, I read an account of an angler reasoning with a friend that he didn't need absolutely everything to bear the Hardy brand; the friend replied to the effect that he had so little time to actually go salmon-fishing, and the cost of the fishing trips was so high, that it would be folly to buy any tackle but the very best - what's the point of saving a quid or two on a lure whose action isn't spot-on, or with a hook that lets you down, thereby losing you the high spot of - indeed, the very reason for - a multi-hundred quid break that you've waited and saved up for for a year?

And as for using the same pole as the star of your choice, well, it's a pricey way of being sure that if you don't catch as well as he, you'll know that it isn't your pole that's at fault. You can then, if you have deep pockets and small brains, work outwards, towards the fish, until you find the problem.

Or you can twig that you may just have been rather silly, and sit down for a long, hard think... no longer fashionable?

Tightwad that I am, I nowadays prefer to start with the same hooks as my heroes and work back, but I have to confess that experience has been, as ever, an expensive teacher.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's the same as the car market, without the foolish followers of fashion and the tackle tarts how could the rest of us pick up lightly used, well cared for bargains at knock down prices on the second hand market?

xenon

Reaction score
I find it's useful to maintain a sense of perspective in all this. I (very) occasionally take a trip back in time using a mitchell 410 and a persuader 13ft float rod-70's vintage when the rule of thumb was a weeks wages for a decent rod. This is all I need to be thankful for todays gear-infinitely better and, pro rata, way cheaper than was the case-what's not to like?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I buy my tackle because I WANT TOO and not because some entity said I should, I make up my own mind and allways have. I am in the position of being able to afford top notch tackle and I do so not to be clever or to ''show off'' on the bank, but because I believe that if you buy the best you can afford you are actually going to save money in the long run (as well as having something nice to show for it) :rolleyes:

No amount of advertising will ever sway me into buying a product unless I know its genuinely going to help my fishing. It may surprise some on here that I actually bought into the Preston Excel range of rods because of a review by someone on this forum and not by the marketing spiel dealt out by that Ricky fella! The reason I like Shimano and Daiwa reels is because they have a track record of being of top quality and reliability, not because a marketing man or sponsored Angler (sorry Mr B Roberts) said I should buy them.

I have nothing against sponsored Anglers trying to sell us Tackle because at the end of the day they are paid to do a job and good luck to them, its a dream job in my books, but what I don't like is the Blatant ''be nice about our products or else'' attitude some of the companies have towards the media! The Ironic thing about this aggressive form of advertising is that years ago when the Media could say what they wanted people bough the magazines on the basis of the non-bias tackle reviews and as a consequence the tackle companies and the media thrived! Down with capitalism I say :)

terry m

Reaction score
I buy my tackle because I WANT TOO and not because some entity said I should, I make up my own mind and allways have. I am in the position of being able to afford top notch tackle and I do so not to be clever or to ''show off'' on the bank, but because I believe that if you buy the best you can afford you are actually going to save money in the long run (as well as having something nice to show for it) )

This is a very good point.

Why do some people always pre-suppose that somebody who is happy to invest in high quality kit has been blinkered by marketing people or are desperately trying to emulate somebody off the TV?

The point earlier on the thread using the salmon fishing example is a good point well made. If you invest innordinate amounts of time trying to catch your own impossible, then just at the crucial moment you lose it as a result of poor quality kit then you will have plenty of time to reflect on your frugality.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a very good point.

Why do some people always pre-suppose that somebody who is happy to invest in high quality kit has been blinkered by marketing people or are desperately trying to emulate somebody off the TV?

The point earlier on the thread using the salmon fishing example is a good point well made. If you invest innordinate amounts of time trying to catch your own impossible, then just at the crucial moment you lose it as a result of poor quality kit then you will have plenty of time to reflect on your frugality.

Hi Terry,
I have never had a well paid job, but instead of just going out and buying tackle as soon has I get a bit of money in my pocket I save up to buy what I want, but there are folk out there that think I am buying this gear to ''get one up'' on everyone else, I have even had a certain guy on here slag me off about my ''nice shiny rods'' it's just b*ll*ocks and they are envious of me and everyone else that owns good gear, why I don't know but I will say this, I have NEVER followed the ''in-crowd'' and have NEVER bought stuff because a famous Angler or tackle company told me to, I bought it because I wanted to:)

PS: yes, I do mention my ''nice gear'' on here from time to time but it definitely not done to show of or belittle folk!

Last edited: