Mouth Damage

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"i reckon " can prove my stance mr scuma can you?" was a desperate, poorly executed lob that left the court wide open....... "

and here in the sun-bathed Centre Court Frothey hits a screamer down the line that his opponent hardly even saw . . . . . . .

40-15

The crowd here on Centre court are sensing set point to the young man from the 'wid' West.
The only question is, does he have that killer instinct displayed by the good and great of this wonderful game . . . . . . . . .

F

Frothey

I'm getting a new racket.

whilst we're on a tennis theme, my lads got a trial at the weekend to step up to the next level.. good luck Jay! it'll start gtting really expensive soon /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

cut and shuts ?.....................................good luck Jay

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Frothey,

If my two boys were just starting off now I think I'd be backing them all the way towards a sports 'career' as its a damn sight better than what I have to do for a living.

Good luck to your boy for his trial.

F

Frothey

too right Peter -and the advantage is at 7, whilst he knows what percentages are he doesn't really appreciate what my 70% cut is /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

.... and if you ever want a PA to take the strain, give me a shout!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think 70% is very reasonable, providing someone else is paying it.

I'm off back to Qatar on Tuesday, fancy coming down there?

Its only 46 degrees C in the shade at the moment - problem is there ain't no bleedin' shade!

Petrol is only 50p a gallon there, but the beer is nearly 30 quid a gallon!

F

Frothey

i can imagine its hell..... mind you sounds like the beer is about the same price as in Stockholm!

R

Roto Fryer

Research on the Florida fish and wildlife research institute site

states

Try fishing with barbless hooks or crimp and remove the barb.
Catch rates using barbed and barbless hooks are not significantly different. The advantages of using barbless hooks are that they are easier to remove and they cause less physical damage to the fish.

R

Roto Fryer

i'm not a fan of tennis either probably because I never played it as a kid

F

Frothey

link to paper? are these salt or freshwater fish? most of the american research are on sportfish that have boney, lightly skinned mouths. the way the statement reads they are talking purely about the "damage" when removing (which i agree with), not the potential for "damage" during the fight.

otherwise its just as anecdotal as the barbed arguement....

R

Roto Fryer

sea fishing but most states in the US have banned barbed hooks and you are deluding yourself if you think the fish out there only boney mouths!

F

Frothey

thats because the americans are too fluffy - ban barbed hooks, but kill most of what they catch..... why?

just wanted to know what fish they did the research on - most papers in the states normally only talk about trout, bass and other sportfish - they fish for little else.

R

Roto Fryer

but there is considerable research done into fishing out there is there not? lets face the truth, you use barbed hooks because you can't fish properly ( thats not aimed at you mr scuma but a general statement).

F

Frothey

thats the point ('scuse the pun) though, its not the barbed or the barbless hook that damages the fish, its the person unhooking them.

if i'm fishing "proper" waters i use barbed, and just cut the hook. runs waters barbless. double standards maybe......

the first thing to find out with any research is who's sponsoring it!

B

Bill Cox

Choice of hook should be determined by the type of water and who is using it. Commercials where a large percentage of the anglers are of limited skill and knowledge should be barbless. Waters where there are mostly experienced anglers who know what there doing can safely allow barbed hooks. IMHO

B

Bill Cox

I said commercials where there are likely to be a lot of anglers of limited skill, but i suppose thats most of them. I define a commercial as a lake run as a business to the detriment of the fish. Where anyone with the money can fish with little or no supervision, usually overstocked and always overfished.