Multi rod use.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

In the three instances you quoted of single rod use, I honestly don't see how you could do it any other way ?

As for multiple use of rods, it's been common practice in Specimen angling for donkeys years and I cannot remember ever having two rods go off at once other than when Carp fishing.

I think the use of more than one rod is dictated by the swim you are fishing, one up stream and one down stream, most of the time on rivers I fish two rods but the hook baits are well apart.

As for the comments about, what happens if two rods go off at once, it normally comes from anglers with a Match or Pleasure fishing background, my only answer is, give it a try on difficult waters and see how you manage !!

Bob

steve2

Reaction score
Never fished with more than 2 rods, have two made up rods even when walking the banks lure fishing. One for light lures and one for heavy ones.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Bob, that was exactly my point. Those three examples are the very reason why they remain immune if you will from the multi rod issue. Were it feasible you can bet someone would have found a way round it.

As an aside like yourself my routes are in specimen hunting, and I grew up at a time when two rods were used by my elders. But in this instance the approach was to chuck out a live bait complete with Fishing Gazette and a couple of pilot floats, the objective being to Pike fish with one rod and pleasure fish with the other, that would be around 1957. Having said that I don't recall seeing any of my peers with the exception as mentioned other than Carp and Pike fishing more than one rod for other species, be that Barbel, Tench, Bream etc. So things have changed in the intervening years, as indeed they always do. Personally I have no axe to grind with multi rod use, hope I've explained my reason for the thread.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you're on your own and get multiple bites what do you do?

I have had this happen once on the Trent, one fish was a double the other was thankfully much smaller, I sat on the butt of the rod attached to the smaller fish while I played and landed the larger one I then netted the smaller one, not ideal but in all the time I have fished with 2 rods its the only time it has happened to me.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

You have to remember, I was fishing waters like Brookland and Darenth in the 60/70tys for carp and at the beginning of the Carping revolution.

But as a Specimen Hunter I did not ignore the rivers and as soon as they past the two rod rule on flowing water, started using two rods.

I was about the only person I knew using Boilies on the rivers with the exception of B.M. and took some places apart.

In those days angler were not so politically aware and everyone was asking me how I was catching so many fish, I kept the boilie thing to myself for a few year !!

:wh

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you think back 50 or so years it was quite common to fish a "bottom rod" to hand while having a "leger rod" on rests close by, so multiple rods is not a new idea.

For myself though I have no problem fishing 2 or 3 rods for Carp or Tench on a rod pod with bite alarms, and have been doing so for decades.

In all that time I think I have only ever had 4 or 5 multiple takes and it is not much of a problem to strike one and leave the bail arm off while you bring the first one to the net.

On the river, however, I only fish one rod at a time, but usually have 3 or 4 rods made up ready for different rigs, methods or situations.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Peter,

Most of the river I fish are hard going and I would love both rods to go off, I'm afraid it has never happened ?

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
In all of the years (30ish) that I've used two (or more) rods, I've never had a double hook up. The closest I ever got was seeing a slight rattle on a tip as I was landing a barbel on the other rod. I'd been back on my seat for a minute or two before the tip actually wrapped round.

terry m

Reaction score
I am happy to use as many rods as the rules, and the swim and the method allow.

On many occasions that is three when fishing appropriate swims in stillwaters, I have had double hook ups several times whilst carping and once whilst piking. All situations were managed with no harm to the fish.

Rivers can be a struggle. Two rods while legering for barbell is the norm for me, and when piking in slacks two rods are also normal. However one float only needs to twitch and the other rods gets wound in.

I have never used more than 3 for no particular reason.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Double takes when I'm zandering at OBH although not common probably happen to me 3-4 times a year. The Bury Hill fish can behave quite oddly at times.....quite what it is that prompts them to suddenly all switch on at precisely the same moment or at a given time is beyond me but they do.

Double picks up might indicate a "pack" moving in but Big Phil and I have often had simultaneous runs when fishing 100 yards apart. Could be light levels but that wouldn't explain the regularity of the 2pm...4-30pm.....6pm and 7-45pm mugfish who often seem to rock up bang on time irrespective of conditions or time of year. One session about 3 years ago saw me,Phil, Big Dave and his mate Steve spread out over 70-80 yards of bank all have simultaneous runs after staring at motionless indicators for about 3 hours. Very odd.

Even odder is that so far as double pick ups go I have always managed to land both fish. If both rods go off I'll hit one,drop the rod with the reel in free spool and then strike and play the 2nd rod. That way [so far] I've not deep hooked a single fish. Once a fish is in the net I'll return to the other rod. Not worried about the occupied net....I'll chin a fish out if I have to or call for my Ghillie if its a lump.

Quite exciting actually....especially if you trip over and end up flat on your back in the dark with a rod in each hand both attached to a fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
As for multiple use of rods, it's been common practice in Specimen angling for donkeys years and I cannot remember ever having two rods go off at once

In all of the years (30ish) that I've used two (or more) rods, I've never had a double hook up. The closest I ever got was seeing a slight rattle on a tip as I was landing a barbel on the other rod. I'd been back on my seat for a minute or two before the tip actually wrapped round.

files.php

"Damn those guys on fishing magic who said that double hookups never happen!!!"

LOL
Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not for one moment would I say it never happens, just that it has never happened to me. I've seen it happen to others often enough, usually on venues that I'd be sticking to one rod because I'd deemed the use of multiples to be too great a risk.;)

flightliner

Reaction score
Had double takes twice over many years, the first was when carp fishing in the late seventies/early eighties on a well known notts pit complex , two carp took off simultaneously , no option but to leave one and manage the other to the net, fold it over in the margins then get to grips with carp number two.
Second time was a few years ago on an eastern counties water for bream, both indicators started dancing at the same time, same procedure as the carp---- the result was two bream over ten pounds each in the landing net!.

barbelboi

Reaction score
You could probably be quadruple handed for snotties without having a problem getting them in Mick.................;)

seth49

Reaction score
I usually fish two rods on the Stillwaters I fish,normally a sleeper rod for carp, in the margin to the right, and floatfish on the other rod, I normally only fish a short line on the float rod, i.e. Two rod lengths out, so if I get a run on the sleeper rod, I can just swing this in and place on a wide rod rest on my left parallel to the bank out of the way.

I've started using a captive backlead on the sleeper as well. Saves tangles if I get a good fish on the float rod.so far it's worked well for me.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I was fishing Globe lakes in Northamptonshire, it's a three rod water and having struggled on the first night with no runs at all I reverted to two rods as the swim I was fishing was tight !!

Globe was famous for it's Koi's, multi coloured Koi's and most famous for the pure Golden variety, stunning creatures.

About 2am in the morning of the second night I had a one toner let out a scream from the Delkims.

Anyone who has the TXi's will tell you that they have very different sounding, so by the time I had got out of the sleeping bag and unzipped the bivvy, the other alarm was ringing it's merry tune.

I presumed the first rod had crossed the second as I wound into the fish, but as it neared the net I realised that the second rod was attached to a fish as well ?

The first fish went into the net, I had opened the bale arm on the second rod and soon had that fish in the net as well.

Both were beautiful Golden Koi's, over the years I have been told I was a very lucky anglers and the moral of the story ?

It's better to have Two Golden Globes in the net than one !!

I thankyou:eek:mg:

Bob