New Carp record !

barbelboi

Reaction score
12 pounds 20 years ago.

Now 68lb 1oz so on average its putting on 2lb 8ozs, now being 56lb bigger than when stocked.

Seems its not just the human race becoming Obese.

Must say, that at least the fish doesn't look like a football, as many other Carp do when putting on so much weight.

I hope Deans scales are correct, and if he makes the claim for a record, he is successful.

On that info. Ray the fish put on 56lb in twenty years and was probably feeding on 'modern baits' - DW's record, stocked in 1932, put on well over 40lbs in the same period of time feeding on natural food so it seems about what you'd expect from current fish..................

barbelboi

Reaction score
Apart from the odd spud Gerry.

Bearing in mind that no one fished there for carp until 1951 Bob Richards must have put a couple of sack fulls in............;)

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Do Carp eat Spud fans ??

They probably ignore 'em like the rest of us - that's done it now I'll have both Spuds fans on my back..............;)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Bearing in mind that no one fished there for carp until 1951 Bob Richards must have put a couple of sack fulls in............;)

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

They probably ignore 'em like the rest of us - that's done it now I'll have both Spuds fans on my back..............;)

BOTH ????

Is there two of us then :eek:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
True.
2 with taste for Spuds. Flying High.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Funnily enough I was talking to Les Bamford (Redmire) only last Friday in the Yew Tree pub.

Last edited:

Rich P

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Thinking logical (not my usual forté) and assuming more than one fish was stocked 20 years ago, there must be others of around the same weight, if not more, in the lake?

Not that I'm, for a moment, suggesting the 'circus' should descend on the venue (wherever it may be).

Anyway, wasn't it Richard Walker who started this fish-naming thing, and the very same who the majority of anglers hold in such high esteem?

My view (if anyone's remotely interested) is that any angler who fishes a venue that's turned up a record fish is entirely beyond criticism. The difference between his/her motivation, and mine, merely reflects similar anomalies in other aspects of life. Some aspire to the rich, some famous, others aren't bothered about either, etc, etc. Thankfully we're not all the same.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Anyway, wasn't it Richard Walker who started this fish-naming thing, and the very same who the majority of anglers hold in such high esteem?

Thankfully we're not all the same.

I am not one of the majority, thank christ.

As you say, we're not all the same :D

seth49

Reaction score
Article in today's angling times, the scales used to weigh this fish have been checked.
And found to be correct.
So it's likely to be accepted as new record.