Night Fishing On The River

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
The main difference with night fishing over day I find when you are not catching is your ability (reluctance?) to change anything.

In the daylight it's easy to change rigs, methods and even swims in order to make things happen. It's not so easy at night and I feel we just persevere in most cases hoping something will happen. Leads to many wasted hours.

T

The Monk

Apologies for being concerned about your safety Adam! Good luck.

D

Dave Johnson

Adam, because of my two young boys I have had to alter my fishing a bit...gone are the days of disappearing at first light to return the next day. I now have to concentrate my time a bit, but in fact this works to my advantage.
I tend to get on the river about 2-3 hours before dark and stay til I've had enough!!!
As others have said, the river comes alive as the onset of darkness arrives.
I would reccommend a couple of early evening sessions going into dark but go with a mate to start with. I do fish on my own till the early hours sometimes, but prefer to have some company-it helps with photos and landing etc, especially on faster rivers.

I

ian jay

dave

I envy you! Me, I like to get up early in the morning, setup as dawn is breaking, and enjoy the warm sun rising. My experience with night fishing is that as it gets darker, it gets colder!

Arghhhhh ...

;-)

I

Ian Grant

Hi Adam,
Fish do most certainly feed at night
especially chub, bream and barbel, small stuff won't pester you half as much either, try and pick your swim,- unless you know the river well - in daylight, also try prebaiting the swim,again in daylight a few hours before fishing, it's best if you get to know the stretch you are fishing pretty well, before night fishing not only from a saftey standpoint, but you'll stand much more of a chance a fish or two, if you are relativley new to fishing, Monks comments are very valid, - a fish isn't worth dying for, and winter night fishing brings its own dangers, if you've been fishing for a while ,and feel nows the time to try it, i'd
personally recomend trying to find someone who regulaly fishes at night, and tag along if poss, you'll learn a lot and it will be safer, that goes for anyone not just the inexperienced, if you're determined to give it a go i'll give you these tips they're pretty obvious to night fishers but not necesarily to newcomers to night fishing
especially as we're moving into winter.
1. watch the weather, get a local forcast
2. wear cold weather gear or at least have it with you, an over suit or suchlike.
3. keep fishing gear to a bare minimum, take only what you absolutly need.
4. take a flask of HOT drink , and a bit of nosh - even a packet of biscuits.
5. whether you have a lamp or not take a good head torch.
6. i don't know if you are but if you're fishing for barbel, choose your swim carefully with a view to being able to recover it comfortabaly , and most importantly - safely from your point of veiw
in other words avoid high banks.
7. If it stops being fun GO HOME!

D

Dave Johnson

good advice.
Alcohol is a no-no on these sort of trips.

wheras on 'fish-ins' and the like, it actually raises the tolerance levels against other FM regulars......