On the chin?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
How do you take a blank or a poor day’s fishing?

When I was younger I hated blanking with a passion but now I am not only retired but have a far larger range of waters at my disposal, not so much. This was brought to mind recently when I set out to catch some decent perch on the lure. None of the waters has a great pedigree for large perch, though one was supposed to have produced a three plus a few years ago. I fished four waters in two trips, the rather bleak results were one very tentative bite one very decent fish hooked, that may have been a carp, which slipped the hook and no fish. I took the whole thing fairly stoically, well for me anyway. The way I looked at it is that I could have fished our tench and crucian pond and bagged up. Alternatively, one of the waters I fished was fishing its socks off for carp. I could’ve fished there and succeeded, but I persevered. I believe I fished as well as I could and don’t honestly think I could have fished any better and that was enough not to become disheartened. If you are pioneering new waters and techniques you have to accept that it will be hard at times. Tomorrow is another day and when I ultimately succeed it will be all the sweeter.

Philip

Reaction score
Nowadays alot of my fishing is orientated towards trying to catch specimens where as when I was younger it was more about trying to catch as many fish as I could each time I went.

It takes a change in mentality and I went from looking at each day as a sort of individual session which was judged as good or bad based on that day alone ..did I bag up or did I blank ? ....to now looking at my fishing more as a seris of sessions as part of an overall "campaign" towards a goal. Your not going to catch a big fish every time you go ...if you did you would probably jack it all in pretty quick as it would become boring , so you learn to accept that blanks or "bad days" as just part of the overall progression towards finally catching and take them on the chin.

That said I also have to add that I rarely totally blank...I am usuaually pretty good at picking the right venues and species for the given conditions and usually end up catching at least something which lets face it, always helps put a bit of additional gloss on a day.

mikench

Reaction score
Routinely as they occur a little too regularly. I do what I can to avoid a blank even if it’s float fishing with a 20 hook and a maggot for a tiny perch. A club member who is also a member of a syndicate much prefers blanking at a particular water than bagging up on the syndicate one. He says the former is a challenge whereas the latter is too easy. He is so fond of the former he is named after it- Brookhouse Brian. I am more despondent if I blank but everyone else , including Gordon, are catching.🙈😜. If we both blank then I feel I’m in good company.🙈

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I had a run of blanks during the winter, frustrating but it got me thinking and not taking this river (the Lot) for granted.

So I had to think hard and draw on the geography I have learnt in the several years I have lived here. The Lot is fed from the run-off from the Massif, very high and in winter much snow, so the river runs cold. My next river going south is the Aveyron, that is spring fed from a much lower level.

I studied Google earth and identified a few likely sections of the Aveyron and made the first trip to explore. The second stretch I looked at I fished, and caught a nice carp!

IMG_0574-1.jpg

Although I know there was a lot of luck, I was so pleased to have understood that there was a good chance the Aveyron would run a bit warmer than the Lot. The Aveyron was over 9c when the Lot was barely 7c, to a fish that 2 degrees makes so much difference!

When you blank (a few times!) it really does make an angler think hard! 😣

peterjg

Reaction score
Yes, it's a state of mind thingy. Sometimes it's nice to catch lots of fish but mostly I deliberately try to sort the bigger roach and this of course leads to fewer catches and more blanks. Also sometimes it's best to use and concentrate on just one rod instead of always using two.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
It depends on my targets and venue choices, if I'm fishing for barbel on a difficult river, or trying to sort out good fish I'll take it, but if I'm fishing with maggot on a prolific venue I'm seething, because it shouldn't be happening.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On one water I fished since the close season, I am expecting to blank but I go nevertheless, as its the only part of a canal I can fish but I am always hopeful. I rarely have a complete blank on my normal fishing, often get a bit disheartened as the day wears on if it is a blank day. but it is part of the mix, still learning about the water and there is always the wildlife scenery to still admire, take it on the chin then is more like my attitude. Its worse when you get a series of blanks, that can be more disheartening.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Trouble is, is that if I catch a 2oz fish when I'm after decent fish then it's no more than a blank, in fact if I caught 30 of them it would be like a blank to me....

Philip

Reaction score
Trouble is, is that if I catch a 2oz fish when I'm after decent fish then it's no more than a blank, in fact if I caught 30 of them it would be like a blank to me....

I know exactly what you mean but there is a danger that you can end up pushing the bar too high as to what you consider to be a success and becoming disapointed with even a decent days fishing.

A while back I had a day after Barbel and had something like a dozen Barbel up to about 8lb plus quite a few backup fish, nice Chub, Roach and the like but because I didnt catch the whopper I wanted I felt it was all a bit of a wasted trip. I had to tell myself quite firmly that this was a decent days sport and to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
It's funny, the water I'm catching decent crucians from is solid with skimmers and roach, usually you catch a lot skimmers for every crucian(something you have to put up with), on Saturday I caught only two, plus 2 nice roach, but four big crucians, it seemed like a very successful day, even though it meant less bites.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It's funny, the water I'm catching decent crucians from is solid with skimmers and roach, usually you catch a lot skimmers for every crucian(something you gave to put up with), on Saturday I caught only two, plus 2 nice roach, but four big crucians, it seemed like a very successful day, even though it meant less bites.
I think so much is relative in this game, I waited years to get a 4lb chub on one river, and yet on some rivers that would be a mediocre fish, same with all of them really, on another river I waited years to get a 3lb+ bream, did get one over 5lb eventually and it was a big moment, chuffed, but if I said I had a 5 lb bream on some rivers it would be churtled.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The biggest problem is finding venues where certain species of a size your looking for, in my area, to my knowledge there aren't prolific tench waters, 40 years ago there were, if I want to blank more often than not to catch some bigguns, those sorts of waters are available, I yearn for days where I can regularly catch four tench or more in a session, I don't care if they are big, two pounds plus would be great, I've found a water that is near to that catch rate, but not yet up and running in the cool spring conditions we have had...
The water I'm crucian fishing is quite prolific crucian wise, but the smaller ones aren't going yet, so I'm taking advantage of the lumps, 5 over two pounds in around 3 weeks, but that will ease once it warms and then I will be catching 10-20 crucians up to say 1lb 8oz tops and those fish aren't the ones I'm catching now as they are far bigger in size dimensionally.... over the years I've come across venues that were exceptional for certain species, then dropped away again, once in four weeks fishing I had more than a dozen rudd over 2lbs to 3lbs 1oz if i remember rightly, the majority of those upper two's, the lake had been dropped by 2 or three feet and the rudd became accessible, after those few weeks the level was brought back up and I never had, or heard of another big rudd coming out, amazing. I feel lucky to experienced the Ivel when the barbel fishing was at its best, roach fishing I believe I've caught my last 2lber as the venues I'd found them in are now producing smaller fish, so the two's have probably died....
You mention chub, I can remember when a 4lber was extremely hard to get, anywhere, I can remember my first two 5lbers on two different rivers as being of enormous importance to me angling wise, now I couldn't tell you how many 5lbers I've had, several in single sessions from at least four or five rivers, only a few sixes though, but my days actually chubbing are far less these days...

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
You mention chub, I can remember when a 4lber was extremely hard to get, anywhere, I can remember my first two 5lbers on two different rivers as being of enormous importance to me angling wise, now I couldn't tell you how many 5lbers I've had, several in single sessions from at least four or five rivers, only a few sixes though, but my days actually chubbing are far less these days...

Yep I think along similar lines Alan. I was brought up on the writings of Miles and West when a 5lb Chub was a specimen, no doubt about it...I think I even had one of 5lb something from the Kennet that made the Mail or Times....nowadays it wouldnt be of any interest whatsoever and even a 6 seems to go under the radar. ....my own opinion is that the size in Chub in the uk has risen in parrallel with the spread of Signal Crayfish and I think they have had alot to do with the size increase.

However its worth noting that (again in my opinion) this is a UK bubble ...the situation is different outside the UK ...in France I still consider a 5 pound Chub as a specimen ..for sure there are some monsters out there but you will catch a lot of 2 to 4 pounders before a 5 arrives....for me its similar to the situation in the Uk back in the 80s.

I do sometimes cast an envious glance at some of the big fish coming out back in blighty but I dont think I could fish shoulder to shoulder with other anglers anymore.

@Clive

Reaction score
Yep I think along similar lines Alan. I was brought up on the writings of Miles and West when a 5lb Chub was a specimen, no doubt about it...I think I even had one of 5lb something from the Kennet that made the Mail or Times....nowadays it wouldnt be of any interest whatsoever and even a 6 seems to go under the radar. ....my own opinion is that the size in Chub in the uk has risen in parrallel with the spread of Signal Crayfish and I think they have had alot to do with the size increase.

However its worth noting that (again in my opinion) this is a UK bubble ...the situation is different outside the UK ...in France I still consider a 5 pound Chub as a specimen ..for sure there are some monsters out there but you will catch a lot of 2 to 4 pounders before a 5 arrives....for me its similar to the situation in the Uk back in the 80s.

I do sometimes cast an envious glance at some of the big fish coming out back in blighty but I dont think I could fish shoulder to shoulder with other anglers anymore.
I too think that signal crayfish have had an influence on the size of chub, perch, carp and other species in the UK. But HNV baits are also more widespread in usage too. There is a study that was carried out on an English river that identified the presence of ingredients from halibut pellets in minnows and insect lavae.

What interests me is when certain small rivers such as the Dearne, 30 miles long, turn up 3lb roach, 4lb perch, 6lb chub and 15lb+ barbel all within a 3 or 4 mile stretch that is or was very lightly fished. Then you compare with the Charente, over 200 miles long and a chalkstream in its middle third, where you are lucky to find specimens half the size of the Dearne.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I too think that signal crayfish have had an influence on the size of chub, perch, carp and other species in the UK. But HNV baits are also more widespread in usage too. There is a study that was carried out on an English river that identified the presence of ingredients from halibut pellets in minnows and insect lavae.

What interests me is when certain small rivers such as the Dearne, 30 miles long, turn up 3lb roach, 4lb perch, 6lb chub and 15lb+ barbel all within a 3 or 4 mile stretch that is or was very lightly fished. Then you compare with the Charente, over 200 miles long and a chalkstream in its middle third, where you are lucky to find specimens half the size of the Dearne.
Chuck something else into the growth equation, drugs and hormones finding their way into UK rivers.

England, in particular, is very crowded. Various chemicals used in prescription medications find their way into the rivers, much more I would think than is the case in much of France.

Then add in the possible effect of illicit drugs such as cocaine, who knows what effect these drugs have on water creatures.

There have been various reports written about studies of many water creatures showing traces of all types of drugs from birth control to cocaine. These powerful substances must have effects on our fish!

Maybe cannabis has a similar effect on fish as humans? They get the "munchies" o_O

Philip

Reaction score

I agree anglers baits play a big part, on some places its probably like the difference between someone eating just cornflakes or a steak dinner every day :)

However as you say some places produce large fish without anglers ever having cast a line. I dont know the Dearne but big waters on the other side of the channel such as the big French resevoirs and lakes like Raduta amoungst many others have huge fish in them that were already big long before any anglers and their HNV baits turned up.

I think the combination of a rich natural enviroment and little angling (or other predation) pressure is a recipe for big fish. If it coincides with a good quality stock of fish as well then all the better. I guess the classic text book example of this would be Redmire.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The Dorset Stour has massive chub, as does the Avon to a lesser degree, no crayfish, unless they've arrived recently, my mates who live at Christchurch hardly mention a low six pounder, to me six pounders are massive, on parts of the Gt Ouse where I used to fish(a swim named after me, much to a mate's annoyance, lol) has produced a few eights, but six's are still a relative rarity on the bank, I believe pellets and boilies have made a big difference to growth rates, with regular visits by anglers, be assured too the Ouse isn't fished that much anymore, it's way too hard, most of the few barbel and chub surviving otter predation are coming out between 11pm and 3am during winter, when most sensible folk are in their pits....

Blue Fisher

Reaction score
The Dorset Stour has massive chub, as does the Avon to a lesser degree, no crayfish, unless they've arrived recently, my mates who live at Christchurch hardly mention a low six pounder, to me six pounders are massive, on parts of the Gt Ouse where I used to fish(a swim named after me, much to a mate's annoyance, lol) has produced a few eights, but six's are still a relative rarity on the bank, I believe pellets and boilies have made a big difference to growth rates, with regular visits by anglers, be assured too the Ouse isn't fished that much anymore, it's way too hard, most of the few barbel and chub surviving otter predation are coming out between 11pm and 3am during winter, when most sensible folk are in their pits....
I saw large crayfish in the Avon at Ibsley more than 20 years ago. Their size would indicate signal crayfish rather than the British ones. But I would agree Anglers bait has had a significant effect on chub size. A really big chub on a Hants river which gets less angling pressure would be 6lb and I have only heard of a few reports of that size. Far more concerning to me is that I very rarely catch chub much under 3lb. Once the old ones die out or are lost to otters there is not much to replace them. I think I as happy to catch the one 6oz chub I had last year than the two small 5s I had.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Strange isn't it, the D.Stour has plenty of small chub in summer, but few seem to survive to be 2-3lb, yet the tidal has a fair few of all sizes, trouble is during summer they have to be prepared to eat boilies or pellet as other baits get ravaged by roach, the Gt. Ouse used to be full of chub between 2-4lbs, but now similar to Hants rivers they are rare above Bedford, I think cormorants ravage the 2-12oz chublets especially, after the first colder spells when they don't feed as hard, strangely the Ouse roach nd dace have made a comeback since the barbel and chubs demise....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Strange isn't it, the D.Stour has plenty of small chub in summer, but few seem to survive to be 2-3lb, yet the tidal has a fair few of all sizes, trouble is during summer they have to be prepared to eat boilies or pellet as other baits get ravaged by roach, the Gt. Ouse used to be full of chub between 2-4lbs, but now similar to Hants rivers they are rare above Bedford, I think cormorants ravage the 2-12oz chublets especially, after the first colder spells when they don't feed as hard, strangely the Ouse roach nd dace have made a comeback since the barbel and chubs demise....
I wouldnt worry too much about chub, I know all rivers are different but, chub completely disappear along one mile stretch I fish in the summer, then they come down in the winter, I think they go up stream in the summer along a club stretch that no one ever fishes-chublets, there were loads in the river in the summer about 5 years ago, not seen many the last couple of years, I think it is just a funny the way they distribute themselves, our impressions may just be wrong. Dace though, definitely disappearing for me, used to see lots along one stretch, only small but used to fly fish for them occasionally, never see them at all now.
River tench have disappeared along my stretches as well, used to catch a few regularly each summer but not had one for maybe 5-10 years. Rivers are a funny beast but I generally don't worry now, just accept that is what they are.