Operation CLAMP DOWN 3

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Maybe in the scenario you describe it would be better not to shout "oi" but to phone and report it but also mentioning that you haven't approached him as you believe that he could be violent.

Then the law could come prepared with tazers, batons, shields, dogs, and guns.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Then the law could come prepared with tazers, batons, shields, dogs, and guns.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, if anyone reports illegal fishing authorities need to attend fairly quickly to be effective, have you read the post by NP regarding priorities?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, if anyone reports illegal fishing authorities need to attend fairly quickly to be effective, have you read the post by NP regarding priorities?

Well, you just reported a potential violent criminal, they're not going to send round Dixon of Dock Green to give him a good telling off and a cuff round round the ear, are they. !

We haven't had a license dodger shot dead while resisting arrest yet, give it a few more years.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Well, you just reported a potential violent criminal, they're not going to send round Dixon of Dock Green to give him a good telling off and a cuff round round the ear, are they. !

So how would you respond to ensure the authorities attend in time to illegal fishing?

I think your quip about Dixon of Dock Green does the front line police officer a disservice, most I have known are well capable of handling this situation.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
So how would you respond to ensure the authorities attend in time to illegal fishing?

I wouldn't, you have reminded me why the public should not get involved. I'm waiting to see what happens when a dyslexic or senile citizen gives a wrong code. That will be fun. Or they use it to take out some vindictive agenda, probably someone from the name and shame list. makes me doubt the handing out of these codes to the general public. Are the police in favour of this? It could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Seriously, I just wonder if its all thought through enough, like your scenario, reporting that someone could be violent just to ensure a quick response. Have you thought that through? And how much will other members of the public think it through before they pickup the phone, how much will they attend to what they say given your example. I just wonder if there's any real wisdom behind any of it. If it was a serious crime, then I would think differently but, this is still a petty crime in my book.
Personally I will leave it to the EA officers and the police, they do a good enough job, there are enough of them to ensure enough prosecutions every year to remind anglers what happens, and they are trained to do and report the job properly. they know whats needed and how to do it with proper training in all aspects of this. If you or any others want to act as crime reporters, thats up to you and them, but my own reasoning leads me to think its not such a wise initiative so, its not for me..

I think your quip about Dixon of Dock Green does the front line police officer a disservice, most I have known are well capable of handling this situation.

Wait until our police catch up with the American Police !

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I think Mr Dixon would have taken it all in his stride and ended the night with a gentlemanly touch of his helmet (SHUT UP AT THE BACK) and his usual, "evening all", after the villains were tucked up in their cells.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I wonder what George would have made of today's calls though?

"My son won't come off his x box/ go to school I demand a police officer attends"

"Yes I've got an injunction against him, and yes he's been here a week now, but I now want him to leave, but I'm not making a statement as I love him"

"I think somebody is fishing without a license"

nicepix

Reaction score
I wonder what George would have made of today's calls though?

"My son won't come off his x box/ go to school I demand a police officer attends"

"Yes I've got an injunction against him, and yes he's been here a week now, but I now want him to leave, but I'm not making a statement as I love him"

"I think somebody is fishing without a license"

The sad thing is that I regularly got called to incidents like the first two. And largely because of NCRS police officers will have to attend them.

I had to leave a report of shed break job hurriedly, before I could give crime prevention advice to the old dear, because there was a 'Priority' at the other side of town that required attendance within 45 minutes of the call. The 'domestic' incident involved current and ex partners falling out three weeks before and was only belatedly reported by the current partner because she was off her face with wine. A colleague was diverted from attending a minor RTC where the road was blocked to attend a 'racial' incident that amounted to someone reporting mildly racial grafitti that had obviously been there several years.