River Severn Barbel

chrispyfish

Reaction score
Hi All,

Now that the levels have started dropping to sensible levels there have been a few barbs caught in Shrewsbury. Certainly not any great numbers but my friend had a double on Monday and I had two (including a nice 8lb 5oz) on Wednesday. All fish have been in prime condition - nice and fat with hardly a scale out of place.

I had a session at Hampton Loade today (Saturday) but could only manage 1 small chub and a single small barbel. Water temp had dropped by a degree or two since earlier in the week - now only 6.1C so wasnt expecting a lot of action.

Plenty of anglers on the banks but very few had a single bite.

We will all have to hope and pray that a) the waster temps increase a bit and b) we dont get any more deluges for the last two weeks of the season!

Tight Lines.

belsh

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking mate, I'm planning a two week attack on the river Teme myself.
All the best.

chrispyfish

Reaction score
Hi belsh,

Looks like the Teme is running quite high too - hope it drops out for you. Do you fish it a lot? I have been meaning to give it a go with the BAA ticket there is so much to choose from both there and on the Severn:)

Tight Lines mate.

belsh

Reaction score
Hello again, yeah I do fish it a lot. I live in Malvern so Cotheridge and Broadwas are about 20 minutes away and Bransford is even closer. I can recomend it as Barbel and Chub go, not sure what else is in there as I've mainly used a pellet and boilie approach so far.
I guess as this is a barbel forum I should mainly stick to talking about them though eh?
If you DM me I can put you onto a few good spots and maybe you could help me out with some Severn advice?
Cheers and good luck.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello again, yeah I do fish it a lot. I live in Malvern so Cotheridge and Broadwas are about 20 minutes away and Bransford is even closer. I can recomend it as Barbel and Chub go, not sure what else is in there as I've mainly used a pellet and boilie approach so far.
I guess as this is a barbel forum I should mainly stick to talking about them though eh?
If you DM me I can put you onto a few good spots and maybe you could help me out with some Severn advice?
Cheers and good luck.

Have you fished the beat below the weir at Knightwick or the opposite bank to the haven fishery lower down.

strikerbw

Reaction score
Belsh,

Where abouts in Malvern do you live? I'm a Malvernite too. Give me a pm mate - i am a member on a cracking stretch on the Teme if you are interested in joining. Would be good to touch base with another local.

All the best

BW

SILLYBAIT

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if you would share the private stretch that you are a member of on the Teme as I,m in Bromyard.

Sillybait

Rich P

Reaction score
Saw the big fish on another forum. Has the angler concerned actually claimed the record?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Rich
What record?

It's not a national record and river records are open to conjecture and opinion.

Rich P

Reaction score
Are they? I was under the impression that there was a list held and updated when a fish larger than the current record is caught, and the record claimed (based upon various stipulations)?

I do understand, however, that we (as individuals) have the right to not acknowledge the existence of the list, or indeed claim a river record having landed a fish that weighs more than the existing record. I also understand that fish have been caught that are larger than the largest fish listed for the respective river, therefore the list is incomplete.

It's a good starting point, however, as a guide to what weight fish can attain in specific rivers.

I guess one could just as easily deny the existence of a national record.....

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Rich
Thanks for the reply. River records are as you say open to conjecture in that there are bigger fish never publicised never submitted and that is down to the individual concerned, so bringing into dispute whether the so called record is indeed the biggest landed or just the biggest reported that passed a "test".
As an aside, would you happen to know what exactly are the criteria for claiming and who sets that criteria, and is the list definitive or just a rough idea of the biggest due to it being the biggest reported to a committee?

Rich P

Reaction score
Steve - thanks for the link.

JP - Yes, pretty much agree with what you say, though it can't really be disputed if the captor of the largest fish never claimed the record. I once caught a fish over the weight of the then record from my local river. I usually fish alone, and thus didn't have a witness, so couldn't claim. Also, the photo was rubbish because I was shaking like a leaf - the experience released a large amount of endorphins into my bloodstream! The record is bigger now, anyway, though it's nice to have 'unofficially' held the record (as far as I know) for a couple of years.

The criteria, I think, are a good photo (preferably without extending one's arms) and a witness. Not watertight, admittedly, but I don't think I could suggest anything that might improve them (the criteria).

fruitowl

Reaction score
a number of you have mentioned Hampton loade and that a lot of people on the bank very few takes when I fished last year I asked in the tackle shops in bridgnorth why as I had struggled as did others and was told that stretch of the severn fishes better with high water (in flood).
reading a number of posts when river seems in good condition seems to back up that info.
when river is normal levels town stretch by church fishes well as their are a number of holes where fish hold.
hope this is of some use