Shakespeare 1831/390 rod - information sought

numero09

Reaction score
There are two of these on separate auctions on Ebay at the moment:

SHAKESPEARE 13FT CARBON MATCH ROD 3 SECTION..WITH A KINGFISHER 5m POLE. | eBay

Shakespeare Match 13' Coarse fishing rod. 1831/390 3 section with bag. | eBay

I was wondering if anyone had any information on them and their suitability for using on a couple of small local lakes (more natural than commercial) for the likes of silvers, skimmers and crucians.

I found this thread on here: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/tackle-rigs-bait/178372-old-float-rods-any-idea.html but the rod in question has the same number but doesn't appear to fit the description otherwise. The 'Black Mirage' also has the same number, but that clearly states Black Mirage on it.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The graphics would suggest to me that they are Shakespeare Sigma Match rods. The eyes suggest early 80s vintage. Personally, I'd not buy either of them for the best part of £30 for the cheaper of the two. I feel that you'd do better buying new, even with a similarly limited budget.

Sometimes it can be worth buying old rods second hand, but it's usually the old top end rods (which usually retain a fair value). There are new bargains out there, if you look hard enough, that would be better value than the rods you are looking at on ebay.
Shimano Forcemaster Commercial Float 12 Foot Float Rod - Good. SKU 75464 - Buy, Sell, Part-Exchange at Tacklefanatics

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think ( I don't recall the 'match' bit! ) I have one of these rods, but it's up in the loft and there it will stay !

What I will say, is that in it's day it was a very good rod with tons of power through the middle, taking tench over 7lbs back in the 80's..not to mention double figure bream.

However, like Sam, I wouldn't buy one now, but rather take the time to search out something a lot better. It's cheap enough - for a reason!

It's a rod that belongs to the past IMHO, but you will make your own mind up.....

Good luck !

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm not sure they're carbon; I have an Alpha Carbon Match from the same era, and its name trumpets its carbon content; also, the lower link shows a pitted finish to the blank - almost certainly cheapish glass, painted black. The first (upper link) rod is not so obvious, but its diameter where the blank joins the handle, suggests glass.
Fine if you fish in thunderstorms or near pylons...

greenie62

Reaction score
The graphics would suggest to me that they are Shakespeare Sigma Match rods. The eyes suggest early 80s vintage....

I agree with Sam - Shakespeare have been using the Sigma branding from around 1980 - and as Alan T says it looks like 'glass' coloured/painted to look like 'carbon'! IIRC there were a number of 'composite' rods produced in the early 80s - most of which trumpeted 'Carbon' if they could make the claim!;)

The Kingfisher pole is the Woolworths brand from the same era - they used to source their products from many manufacturers - sometimes really good stuff - often not!:eek: e.g. mono would be supplied by differing suppliers depending on strength required - so you could end-up with great 3lb, wiry 4lb, then beautiful 6lb! - but it was all affordable!;)

numero09

Reaction score
Thanks so much to all of you for your sound advice.

I'd wondered if one of the rods was a Sigma, due to the symbol.

I didn't think they were up to much, but as with everything, I'd rather seek advice from those who are far more wise and knowledgeable.

'Carp this' and 'power that' seems to be the order of the day, but I intend taking my time working through and reading up on what's what in order to get something suitable.

I haven't fished in a long time. My Grandpa taught me (cane rods and centre pins), and would take me on the Trent, Sutton on Trent, but it's getting on for 30 years since I've handled a rod in anger.

I just want something so I can enjoy the 'sport', rather than a hauling bar that gives no 'feel' to playing the fish.

Once again, many thanks to all of you. It's confirmed pretty much what I was thinking about the rods in question, but it's far better to get solid advice, which is what you've all given me.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Grandpa's cane and pin would still work, if you have them. Fish spent 300,000,000 years evolving into their current state, and won't have sprouted an extra brain since he took you fishing.
Mind you, cane and 'pin is awfully - and expensively - addictive!