Sponsored Anglers Merry-Go-Round

cg74

Reaction score
if that isn't product placement what is....? and as for naming anglers who jumped ship.... I know of 4 that have changed since last year... I'll not name them, for the sake of embarrassing them... I'll let the the poster do his own digging... One of them parted company from his bait supplier under a very nasty cloud that was aired all over facebook last year...!

Arthur, you wrote: "there are loads of these chaps who spend a season with an outfit and then jump ship"

I don't know your interpretation of the term "loads" but in the context its currently being used for; FOUR really does seem a complete overstatement!

I was curious as to roughly how many anglers could loosely fit the bracket of a "sponsored angler"

After a quick net search, I found that:
Korum have 13 guys labelled as consultants, I never looked at their sister labels; Avid, Sonubaits and Preston Innovations.
Dynamite Baits have 50 named anglers.
Korda have a "team" of 24.
Bait-Tech have 42 on their books....
Then there are Drennan (ESP and Kamasan), Nash, Daiwa, Mainline etc etc

So how many anglers fit the tag of a sponsored angler? The 4 companies I looked at totalled well over 100.
Are there 1000, 2000 or more and out of that number you can only identify 4!!

thecrow

Reaction score
4 or 40 it doesn't alter the fact that some of them are very shallow, some of them are only to ready to state that the tackle they are using this season is the best when the season before some other companies stuff was the best.

Who knows, they might be saying that because they genuinely believe it and the new sponsors stuff really is the best, somehow though I find that quite difficult to accept.

cg74

Reaction score
Crow, what you describe is just a reflection of everyday life. Is it a lack of loyalty, greed, wanting a better deal? Only the unnamed ones know but because they're not being named, there's no way of contacting them to hear their reasons.

But lets put some perspective on this subject; it's not a widespread issue, I'd say changing allegiances is far less prevalent than in golf or tennis.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I was curious as to roughly how many anglers could loosely fit the bracket of a "sponsored angler"

Thousands..... every open match has their share, every carp competition, every fly contest..... every code of Angling has 'em, hell even I was sponsored for a couple of seasons...!:eek:

the difference is, the majority are not in the public domain promoting their sponsors products to the paying public... (possibly because it is because they are high profile that it's noticeable)it's the high profile anglers that seem to attract attention as they drift from one manufacturer to another... Sometimes contracts end, as has been mentioned, but sometimes it's more cash, better deal, more time, consultancies.... but the fact remains that the products those anglers formerly promoted is now diminished (choice of words?) by their new employers products...

If I was sponsored by company 'A' for a year... "their goods are the best", the following year I'm with company 'B' and now their products are the best....? so how can you take notice of a sponsored angler who bed-hops manufacturers... yes it happens in every sport or past time where sponsorship is the norm....

it has already been alluded to that the majority of a certain age would rather take advice, info, or recommendations from friends, family, or forum as they have no vested interest

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that sponsorship doesn't just land in your lap.
A lot of match winning and putting your face about with the right people does.
However, on the stairway to attaining it in the first place, the time and expenditure involved is far beyond the pockets of me and I'm sure most other anglers...
Fair play to them if they put in the time, and let's not forget that many of them are parents and need to support their families..
If you were sponsored by x company and y company offered you a better deal what would you do?

cg74

Reaction score
If I was sponsored by company 'A' for a year... "their goods are the best", the following year I'm with company 'B' and now their products are the best....? so how can you take notice of a sponsored angler who bed-hops manufacturers... yes it happens in every sport or past time where sponsorship is the norm....

it has already been alluded to that the majority of a certain age would rather take advice, info, or recommendations from friends, family, or forum as they have no vested interest

In reality it's quite rare to see or hear anyone state a product is "the best" - it's more a case of things being called good, very good or even excellent.

"how can you take notice of a sponsored angler who bed-hops manufacturers"
How can you trust the word of a forum member that you don't actually know, for all I know you could be Kevin Nash or Danny Fairbrass.

thecrow

Reaction score
How can you trust the word of a forum member that you don't actually know, for all I know you could be Kevin Nash or Danny Fairbrass

There are up to 4 on here that I would take recommendations from, I don't know them personally but I have gleaned enough from their posts on here to know they are competent anglers, I think it would be easy to identify the 2 you mention from their constant referral to their own products that I believe would happen, I take your point though.

There have been others on here that talked the talk that once challenged disappeared, the last one was about a dead Barbel that came back to life as it has since been captured again.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
How can you trust the word of a forum member that you don't actually know, for all I know you could be Kevin Nash or Danny Fairbrass.

Well I'm no expert.... but the last time I looked in a mirror, I found I'm neither Sir Nashy nor Lord Danny Of Fairbrass.. I have the same hairstyle as Dean Macey and I do live in Essex, but that is where the similarities end...... you could ask me missus though.... she'd put you right.. :wh