Tackle shops

robtherake

Reaction score
that describes my local to a tee, the only reason he gets my trade is that he is the nearest by about ten mile.
there is an alternative in the next village but it is initially a pet shop with a small area put over to tackle that looks like she stocked it in the 70s to please her old man (and hasnt flicked a duster over it since) but she is always good for the maggots. :p:p

I just love those places. Time was, every other pet shop had a little tackle and bait section. :)

fishplate42

Reaction score
There are a couple of tackle shops that I have used. One is a small independent and the other is a larger (not huge) independent.

The smaller one was most helpful and we would walk there, at first they were a bit confused that my wife would come along but when they realised that although she is not an angler she has some knowledge and is genuinely interested in the 'art'. It is a good walk from where we live but in the summer is was a pleasant stroll through the parks and back doubles.

When I was about to do enter my first match they gave me some advice and I followed it and caught enough fish to keep me well off the bottom of the table.

I had said I would let them know how I got on. I went back after the match, full of enthusiasm and wanting to show them my catch. I was greeted with a grumpy couple of blokes who told me they were not interested in my picture, and to just tell the what weight I had caught, which of course was not very impressive but to me I had achieved something.

I have not set foot in there since and now drive a 10 mile round trip to my next nearest tackle shop where the guys in there could not be more accommodating. I don't spend a fortune in the shop but that does not seem to matter. I give them all the trade I can and I am happy to pay a little more than I might do on-line for the service which is second to none. They even humour me and listen to my fishing stories, which they must have herd a million times before.

Ralph.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm afraid I support who ever has the items I want for the cheapest price, sometimes ebay or private sellers and sometimes one of several or more local shops. At the end of the day, buying from ebay is still supporting Angling shops as most of the brand new things for sale on there are from them anyhow.
Anyone paying more money for an item purely to support a local shop must be in a financial postion that allows them to do that.

greenie62

Reaction score
We're fairly well-served by the number of local tackle shops - the main problem I find is that you need to go to several of them to fulfill your 'shopping list' - 'cos most of them carry such small stocks of some items - haven't re-ordered when sold-out - or 'only re-order from them on the nth of the month'.

It really annoys me to see these wonderful - brand-supplied - display racks with a gaping hole in the range and find none of the 'assistants' has bothered flagging-up they've stocked-out of their best-seller :eek::eek:mg:

And we wonder why tackle-shops disappear :rolleyes::eek:mg:

laguna

Reaction score
We're fairly well-served by the number of local tackle shops - the main problem I find is that you need to go to several of them to fulfill your 'shopping list' - 'cos most of them carry such small stocks of some items - haven't re-ordered when sold-out - or 'only re-order from them on the nth of the month'.

It really annoys me to see these wonderful - brand-supplied - display racks with a gaping hole in the range and find none of the 'assistants' has bothered flagging-up they've stocked-out of their best-seller :eek::eek:mg:

And we wonder why tackle-shops disappear :rolleyes::eek:mg:

A lot of it is to do with turnover Greenie. It might seem like a good idea to fill space with the latest items, and most do sell (eventually) but unfortunately; not always fast enough to warrant restocking. By the time things 'catch on' its usually down-trending and too late for the tackle manufacturer who sees fewer orders and has gone on to develop and promote something else - through apparent lack of interest from the dealers.

Slow turnover is the main reason why many go under in my experience, not helped when competitors are selling same or similar items from a back bedroom.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have 3 tackle shops i can use, but i go to just one, and that is the furthest away from me, why ? Simple.

I know the bait is good, the tackle choice is top notch, if there is anything they don't have, they will get.

The lads in the shop, of which there are 10 full time and 3 part time, know what they are talking about, and are good anglers also.

I have been to many shops over the years, and 9 times out of 10, the staff don't know what they are taking about.

Whats the point going to a tackle shop to buy gear, and the staff haven't got a clue.

Ok I do work at the Tackle shows for them from time to time, and at the shop, I also get a good discount. Thats why your all saying, NO, i used the shop long before I did anything for them.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I have to agree with Terry on this, Ringwood is fantastic and a local Godsend. There used to be four shops in my town, two have gone and one now really only does sea angling gear and the other is just damned annoying.

I'm sure the owner is a nice guy but always gives off the air that he's doing me a favour just by being there. But what really gets my goat is the stock policy, particularly bait and, most especially, pellets.

Don't find yourself a favoured pellet because it probably won't be there next time you need to stock up. This happened so often that, eventually, I must have tried every single manufacturer and not once repeated a purchase. I tried explaining my thoughts that some are like Heinz beans, some customers just don't want alternatives but all I got was mumbled excuses.

Contrast to Ringwood where I know I'll get exactly what I want, every single time. It's 12 miles which can sometimes equate to crawling bullock naked over broken glass but the stress relief is wonderful.

It's all very well wanting to help local dealers but they have to start by wanting to help themselves.

Regards to all. :)

Reaction score
I only use one local tackle shop, but that's because I work there. Can order things in for myself, get a bit of money off, and help keep the gaffer in business. Before I worked there, I made my decision based on two things: customer service and how much stock they carried.

bleak

Reaction score
unfortunately the friendliest one in Louth has gone to the wall. I always tried to buy from there.
The biggest at Scunthorpe I try to avoid as there is an attitude there. I think the staff really think that being a shop assistant is beneath their ego.

Unless the shop is a small owner one I find this attitude prevalent.

I once waited patiently at the maggot counter at the now defunct Leslies of Luton while the assistant sorted some bait.
In walked a nationally known SPONSORED angler. The assistant ignored my presence and started fawning over the said celeb who was by the conversation getting his for free.
A piece of Anglo Saxon preceeded my departure. I never did go back.

Back in September this year a tackle dealer near Lincoln promised to ring me back ASAP regarding a couple of barbel rods. A reminder from me and further promises... Zilch.

Sometimes I think with the lack of business acumen many are their own worst enemies.

Meldrew moment vented I now feel better:wh

Friendly helpful service is paramount for me. I will travel as far as it takes rather than put up with arrogance and blank brainless 'service'... ah thats better;

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Back in the day, my favourite in SW London was KC Angling mainly for the incredible selection of bait (everything possible) and their own rods based on Normark blanks etc. It was a mecca for club/match anglers and way ahead of any other shops in a wide area. I now hear that this shop has closed down - unbelievable.

Here in Norfolk the first shop i tried had everything i needed - fresh bait, decent hooks, terminal tackle etc and not just the pre-tied hair rigs and the limited range of just obvious carp gear that used to annoy me at a previous shop i frequented in Hertfordshire.