The Barbel Society Midlands’ Rivers Annual Research & Conservation Fundraiser

Steve Pope

Reaction score
One hundred percent wrong Mr. Berry.

But you won't accept that I know but its the truth.

Enjoy your fishing.

T Rocca

Reaction score
You answer that then Mr Pope, but are so rude as to not answer direct questions from Mr Wood,...... [comment moderated]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Hilton

Reaction score
Just to clear one or two things up because one or two are being shall we say a little creative with their versions of the truth, and aiming criticism where it's not warranted...

So, it is true I've had one or two issues going on personally that have diverted my attention.....
The lateness of the magazine is down to nobody else but me. If I'm guilty of anything, it's not asking for help soon enough... I thought I could juggle things, but clearly that was not the case.... So, with the help of one or two other committee members, it is now being dealt with and will be sent out as soon as feasibly possible....

The merchandise query you refer to Ray is one of many orders I receive... There was a stock issue and a missed email.... Nothing more, nothing less....
Please find something else to occupy your time rather than knocking people that actually get off their backsides and do something instead of blowing hot air......

Many Thanks
Rob

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
The merchandise query you refer to Ray is one of many orders I receive... There was a stock issue and a missed email.... Nothing more, nothing less....
Please find something else to occupy your time rather than knocking people that actually get off their backsides and do something instead of blowing hot air......

Many Thanks
Rob
Rob
I am far from blowing hot air! With all due respect, I rather think the version posted above regarding the merchandise and missed email is as Mr Pope would say "a bit wide of the mark".

I am far more informed regarding this issue than you might suspect;)

Regards

PS,
If you had not noticed my post regarding the merchandise was made in your support for no one picking things up in your absence! But I suppose I got the sort of response I should have expected from a BS committee member...oh well

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Really?? there is always a story..... I am on the money on what I have said..... And I am sorry to say you know it too. :(

Good grief Rich, I knew you would eventually see the light but to be this scornful? Whatever it was they did to you must have stung.

If you take my advice you will back off now and not waste any more of your life with this tawdry little group.

It's looking like a more like a run down, dwindling, mendicant order of friars dependant on an ever declining pool of converts for its alms; or perhaps, some sort of third rate pyramid scheme which is nearing saturation, every week.

Without its core values the only reason for its existence becomes its continued existence, and like the Ouroboros, if it continues to feed upon itself it will eventually reduce itself to a single point and vanish from the universe utterly.

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Mr. Berry,

Just to clarify a situation for you and anyone else who looks in on here and may have an interest.

I will never engage with Mr. Wood, Mr. Fletcher ( Black Kettle), Mr Williams (Titus), Mr. Betteley (Judas Priest) on here or anywhere else.

That is my decision and is based on my dealings with them over the years, I don't like them and they don't like me.

Now that is crystal clear.

I am not being rude, I'm not breaking any T and C's, I'm stating a fact.

I meet and get on with hundreds of people, you can never please everyone - I certainly don't please the four I have mentioned, and I am comfortable with that.

It would save everyone a lot of time and trouble if this was taken onboard.

Now you have every right to be critical of me for saying this and you might label me as rude, I have more important things to get on with than to get involved in forum nonsense and now that you also have the explanation from Rob it ought to be good enough.

And to draw a line I put out a challenge, if those who constantly take delight in rubbishing me and the BS would like to get their act together, organise a meeting I will happily sit around a table with them and answer any questions they may want to ask in front of an audience but be aware I will have my say too.

I personally cannot be fairer than that.

Time to put up or shut up.

Enjoy your fishing, I do, and will be spending the next four months doing just that.

All the best.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now you have every right to be critical of me for saying this and you might label me as rude, I have more important things to get on with than to get involved in forum nonsense

And to draw a line I put out a challenge, if those who constantly take delight in rubbishing me and the BS would like to get their act together, organise a meeting I will happily sit around a table with them and answer any questions they may want to ask in front of an audience but be aware I will have my say too.

I personally cannot be fairer than that.

Time to put up or shut up.

I won't label you as rude 'Mr Pope', even though you patently are, but I will label you as evasive.

You say you will sit around a table in front of a live audience and answer questions (which incidentally is as close to the dictionary definition of a forum as one can get) but refuse to sit around a virtual table or forum and do the same.
Would that have anything to do with the fact that in a virtual forum you have no control of the audience one wonders?

I am more than happy to discuss anything which you have to say on my conduct towards you, the majority of which is a matter of public record and is available for anyone to read, but I would love you to put to my face on an open forum some of the things you will happily accuse me of in closed rooms and in what you think is private company but I will do it from here and in my own tine with nothing hidden or edited after the fact.

As they say across the pond, 'Bring it on'.

T Rocca

Reaction score
Peter,
Sorry for that slip on my part.

Mr Pope,
I am aware of many of your actions of the past, and the way you treat supposed "friends", Phil Betteley is an example of that, Rich Frampton is another, and there are countless others. I feel for the "hundreds" of people you meet and the risk they are taking. I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you san.

And if Mr Hilton isn't able to fulfil his role he should fall on his sword and give someone else a go, even though it is you as Chair who is ultimately responsible for this failing.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
In answer to Mr Pope's challenge of (Put up or shut up) and who he dislikes or who likes him.

I Will deal with the accusation that he don't like me and his claim I don't like him first of all.

I am sure he would love the readers of FM to believe that myself, Lee Fletcher, Phil Betteley and Ade Williams dislike him.

I can only speak for myself in this regard, my criticism of both Mr Pope and the BS are based purely on the way he has run the BS for the past 19 years as it's unelected chairman.

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking him.

My belief in the BS aims and objectives is as strong today as it was when I attended every single meeting in it's formation.

Mr Pope can clear on that, he can also be clear that I am in total opposition to the strangle hold he has held on the BS during his chairmanship, along with his suffocation of progress and freedom of speech.

None of these things are based on disliking him or liking him. I have asked many questions of Mr Pope and his committee over many years, never getting any answers from him or his committee.

What I have received when asking questions is bullying as have others who have criticized both Mr Pope and his committee.

He may wish to take the issues and questions I have with the way he does things out of the public domain and into a closed room. Where I am sure he would try to manipulate the audience.

By his own admission he has run the BS as what he calls "a benevolent dictatorship" forgive me but I think I would be right in saying that throughout history there has never been such a thing.

A dictatorship does exactly what is says on the tin, it dictates by the few to the many. The BS was never set up to be like that, and Mr Pope is fully aware of that.

I for one am fully prepared to pick up Mr Pope's "Time to put up or shut up" challenge but it will take place here on FM.

FM, where Mr Pope along with his BS peddle both his and the BS wares.

I have nothing to hide, so unlike Mr Pope I have no desire to do things in a closed room with a small audience.

All my questions have been asked in public forums, and that is where they will continue.

So here is my challenge for Mr Pope, forget that you apparently dislike me, put your feelings aside for the time being and have the courage to answer honest polite questions put to you here on FM.

What have you to lose? This will give you the opportunity to "draw a line" and silence me for good if you do.

What are you scared of?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I will second everything you have written there Ray.

I am more than happy to discuss matters on this open forum for all to see rather than in front of an invited audience, I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Rich I know we haven't, and perhaps never will see eye to eye on most matters but your last 2 posts are spot on. Thing is that a lot on the committee are retired and only hold positions that require little input but still whinge constantly about their workload.

Reminds me of the year after I left, the guy running the NEC show rang to say could I help out again ( like every year) for the 4 days as he was stuck and no one else on the committee would help out.
Summed it up perfectly to me.

black kettle

Reaction score
"Dear Steve, your quote of;

“And to draw a line I put out a challenge, if those who constantly take delight in rubbishing me and the BS would like to get their act together, organise a meeting I will happily sit around a table with them and answer any questions they may want to ask in front of an audience but be aware I will have my say too.”

Steve. You have had more than ample opportunity to answer questions over a very very long length of time going back 15 years at least on various internet forums. How long do you need?? As for answering questions in front of an audience? I know a place where an audience of possibly thousands will assemble to read a compiled list of questions ready and waiting for you to answer where you will undoubtedly have the opportunity to have your say. It’s called Fishing Magic and it’s your very home turf so here will do just fine. Here you have the support of its moderators who hold the responsibility to see everyone plays by the rules , but also here those who oppose and criticise the way you run the BS must also play by the rules so its a meeting place with referees. Even so, I’m certain those opposed to you will be happy to jointly compile a list of previously unanswered questions going back many years where you can as your say, “put up or shut up”. Remember Steve, amongst those asking questions could well be individuals from a wide selection of people not just past BS members, but ex BS committee men as well.

Now to clarify. No one has ever rubbished the BS. Certainly not me and certainly not Ray Wood who is a founding member and has always wanted the BS to succeed and grow. It was why he attended every single meeting prior to the BS being formed. What I have always done is criticise YOU and some of your cronies in the BS hierarchy. Never once the BS membership. I have NEVER done this behind closed doors but openly on open forums for all to see very often against the opposition of your bully boys which of course is all a matter of record in various archives and files in my possession. Know what Steve? Many of those bully boys have left your side but here I am still standing still criticising how you run the BS and the list of others criticising you has grown significantly. Are we ALL wrong? So let’s be clear, this is NOT about the BS it’s about the way YOU run it clear and simple.

Steve, I don’t think you are up to the job. And I have a very long list of reasons why I don’t think you are up to the job and these will be reflected in my forthcoming questions along with the questions from your many critics I would think.

So I thank you for the invitation to finally get you to answer your growing list of critics via a comprehensive list of questions. And as invited I will personally take on the responsibility for asking some of these people to “get their act together”. I’m sure they have many questions to ask you.

But remember Steve, I am looking for every single questions posed to be answered openly and honestly in the same vein that the questions are asked.

As we are in holiday season this might take a week or so to compile so be patient Steve but we WILL get back to you ASAP.

For those wishing to ask Steve Pope questions concerning anything to do with how he runs the BS, please send your questions to trent.barbeler@btinternet.com where I will be happy to compile a comprehensive list for submission to him here on FM. I will not be accepting any anonymous questions only direct questions from a known source/name. All questions posed to accompany the authors name. We have all been demanding clarity from Steve Pope over a range of issues over the years about the way he runs the BS therefore we must afford him the very same courtesy in asking questions openly and honestly in the same vein we always have whilst having the confidence to air our questions and criticisms with our real identities behind our words.

Regards,

BK."

I have placed the post here for two reasons. Firstly t

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
And there was me hoping you would need an upright knowledgeable,only semi tainted facilitator for the evening.
(SMILEY THING)
Graham

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Actually I was refering to Adrians post.

I was going to wait till you finished yours BK.

Another smiley thing.
G

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Right, to be absolutely clear; the moderation team here on FM have no favour to any individual or group.

Our job is to simply ensure that everyone abides by the T's and C's of the site and when they don't then to edit or moderate the post accordingly, and when things get out of hand to put restrictions in place either temporarily or permanent.

I believe that is exactly what you have been told on the Facebook page as well . . . . . . .

FM is here as a friendly forum and in the 12 years I've been associated with it we have had several (for that you can read, far too many) Barbel Wars.

We are not about to let another one kick off here under any guise, so feel free to collate your questions but I doubt they will be posted here.

As I read in a previous post:

"And to draw a line I put out a challenge, if those who constantly take delight in rubbishing me and the BS would like to get their act together, organise a meeting I will happily sit around a table with them and answer any questions they may want to ask in front of an audience but be aware I will have my say too."

So, the detractors have had what appears to be a fair offer to discuss the problems in an appropriate setting, so can we now please let this thread rest?

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Peter
There is no barbel wars kicking off.
Steve Pope has put a post up suggesting a meeting with an audience, the detractors as you call them have said they are more than willing to discuss the matters on an open forum with a larger audience so as to create total transparency. I cannot see how this is barbel wars 25 or whatever, in fact it seemed to me to be quite a moderate response by those who have had dealings with Steve Pope and know how he operates?

To save you sleepless nights though I shall desist from posting anything else on this thread unless a BS spokesperson posts a response.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Why would I feel the need to do that ?

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Oops posted when I shouldn't have ?