The Hugh Fearnley-Whitingstall(spelt wrongly possibly)programme.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Sorry ,get a bit annoyed with Pike being treated as second class fish, a lot on my local rivers don,t make to the dinner table and end up under a bush what a waste .
The whole EU fisheries policy does not work and Boat skippers know how to show it not working in the worst possible light for T V. I am going to be more than a bit miffed by programs like this putting addtitional pressure on the stock of fish I fish for in the name of sustainablity whens theres no evidence any form of netting is sustainable. There is no restocking of the Sea when there gone there gone, I think the Blue Fin Tuna will be the first fish to be fished to exticntion.

In what way does Hugh's program put additional pressure on fish?

He used the quantities of fish thrown back to highlight how wasteful and ineffective the current policies are - not necessarily to suggest that we should just keep everything caught.

I agree that the netting process seems to be the linchpin of the whole situation.

Stopping netting = stop catching indescriminately and therefore stop killing fish that are not going to be kept.

hooklineand sinker

Reaction score
Its the Delia effect.say for argument sake that hugh says eat Flounders as they are tasty and there,s plenty in the sea and if your supermarket does not have some on the slab pressure them to make sure there next time it would only take 10 to 20 customers to ask the same question next thing is there on the slab and all the rest of the supermarkets follow suit .The Trawlers are happy now there getting a income from a fish that was worthless before the program. At the moment there is not to much comerical pressure on what I fish for but it could change overnight,I should add I return all my fish

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
But it won't put 'additional pressure' on fish.

The trawlers already catch these species in huge quantities and throw them back dead as they are worthless to them.

They end up dead either way - back in the sea or on a fishmonger's slab - with the current netting practice trawlers use. It is less wasteful to eat them and will take the pressure off species like cod and haddock.

bullet

Reaction score
I suppose the Crabs and other scavengers might make good use of the bycatch.

Someone mentioned that the Cod did well in the 2nd world war,when there was little fishing.

I was thinking that seeing as many of the banks are now owned almost entirely by the taxpayer:wh,What about using the bankers' bonuses to pay the fishermen to stop fishing for a while?

A

alan whittington

I suppose the Crabs and other scavengers might make good use of the bycatch.

Someone mentioned that the Cod did well in the 2nd world war,when there was little fishing.

I was thinking that seeing as many of the banks are now owned almost entirely by the taxpayer:wh,What about using the bankers' bonuses to pay the fishermen to stop fishing for a while?
Welcome bullet,nice one:wh:wh:wh:wh:D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

hooklineand sinker

Reaction score
It is possible for fishing Boats to target a certain species of fish, they shoal up at certain times of the year or they are found on certain ground, this is what worrys me, but after the Guardian aticle all the foodies will be munching on Carp ,Pike and Barbel . Spit roast Swan anyone ?