''The price of fame''.

Philip

Reaction score
I think its a very rocky path to accuse anyone of fish chasing because in the uk at least its almost impossible not to be. We all i imagine have fished at least some waters because of what we have heard they contain. I first fished the Kennet because i wanted to catch a Barbel which i read other anglers had caught there. Is that fish chasing ? ....ok how about i read some more and heard the RDAA club card had some good streaches with Barbel so i got thier club card...is that fish chasing?
Ok how about i read even more and saw the Benyons streach on the RDAA ticket was noted in particular for Barbel so i went there...is that fish chasing ?...ok so how about i went to Benyons to take a look and saw a guy in a certain swim catch a Barbel so i fished there the next time...Is that fish chasing?

Maybe you see the point i am making...same i imagine applies to anyone fishing rivers like the Lea for Chub...how can you NOT be accused of fish chasing if you went to say fishers green ?

Of course there are good and bad anglers but i think there is also an element of people sometimes wanting to keep thier fishing to themselves or protect the validity of thier own catches and "fish chasing" or the "circus" are good terms to throw about to try and put people off.

I am not saying it doesnt happen but i think its a very subjective accusation that maybe gets branded about too easily at times.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Maybe you see the point i am making...same i imagine applies to anyone fishing rivers like the Lea for Chub...how can you NOT be accused of fish chasing if you went to say fishers green ?

I suppose that could be levied at me, but as I have fished the Lea for 60 year and caught Chub all that time, having watched them grow from Chublets to Monsters, it hardly applies.

Pot chasers, are anglers who drive miles from home, live off the back of other efforts, find out where well known anglers are fishing, wait until the swims are free and take up residence until they catch !!

Many of us know who they are and have very little time for them ?

Or you have the bloke who rings you up and asked for a few pointers, in good faith you give him the information he asks for, that might be anything.

I once had a well known angler say a water was easy when he caught a 14lb and 12lb Barbel from a river I helped with, I replied, it is if someone, takes you to the swim, tells you how to fish it and gives you the bait.

He did not even give credit where credit was due, he did name the river and put up a picture of the swim, with a very distinctive bridge in the background.

Blaggard !!

Bob

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Like Bob I have fished the Lea, not for 60 years, but 48 years. Chub, Barbel, in its day very good Roach also.

The `Ouse I started fishing when I was 10, thats also 48 years.

We all go to waters for one thing, to catch fish. Sadly the circus go to boost their ego's, don't do the hard work regarding swims, methods, bait etc etc.

Thats the difference.

There are plenty of waters I could go to for big fish, but I don't, as I don't want to be part of that circus.

I can see what your trying to say Philip, but think about this. How would you feel if, you had fished a water for years, that started to give up fish close to record size. An angler reports a big catch, next thing you know, that water is over run with anglers, who know nothing about the venue. They are there day in, day out, night in night out, and break just about every rule than can, just to get that big catch.. You and your mates who have fished it for years, can hardly get a look in. Sounds over the top ??? well its not that is just how it works.

That in the eyes of the circus, is the price of fame. I have seen it happen on a number of waters, and it will happen again, trust me.