The World Carp Fishing Championships

michael kirby

Reaction score
104 Reier Road , Atlasville , Boksburg , South Afr
mickerick

hi phillip , afraid rons right , i live here in SA fish competitively , and predicted all 3 victories to ron , believe me i am as english as you can get even though i have lived here for 30 years , afraid its time to start asking how and why the SA team have done 3 in a row , i tried to tell the england team manager 3 years ago here in SA , but he felt he needed no local knowledge , or in fact any knowledge other than he already had , the subject is interesting as well , and to boost Rons pension , with all the cuts you guys are facing , what a pleasure.

Philip

Reaction score
Hi Michel, all good stuff, ...I am open to new ideas so would you mind putting some more meat onto the bones of why Rons right and why S.African anglers manage to catch more and why more than luck saw them win 3 seasons on the trot ?

…is it bait ? Rigs ? Tactics ? ...I'm all ears, really I am ...because at the moment the only reason anyone appears to have put forward as to why they are better is basically...“because they are” ..

Philip

Reaction score
No Rooney I am afraid..problem was England only pay travel expenses and Rooney wanted 200k a week. Plus he complained about Englands lack of ambition & is jetting off to S.Africa to fish for them instead.....

cg74

Reaction score
Hi Michel, all good stuff, ...I am open to new ideas so would you mind putting some more meat onto the bones of why Rons right and why S.African anglers manage to catch more and why more than luck saw them win 3 seasons on the trot ?

…is it bait ? Rigs ? Tactics ? ...I'm all ears, really I am ...because at the moment the only reason anyone appears to have put forward as to why they are better is basically...“because they are” ..

Well Philip, this is a case of clever marketing by "The Hat" cos you'll have to read his CAT article too find out more..... And heaven forbid you do so without buying your own copy of said magazine, as the 'Mad Clay Hatter' will be hurling accusations of pedophillia or something equally absurd in your direction.

In answer to your question; bait, rigs or tactics? I suggest a multitude of all the fore mentioned considerations.
Commonly put together under the title of poor angling.
Our nations finest, my @rse!!

Linears is not exactly the hardest fishery in the world (or UK) and four anglers managed a mere nine carp average weight 14lbs, well if I fished any of the Linear pits and only took a little under 32lbs of carp (the av taken by each of Englands team members) in 72 hrs I'd be miffed and I'm by no means a good angler.
Rather says how poor a team Englands were but who cares???
(but when I say Englands team, I do mean the selected team and not English anglers as a whole)

Yes I'd be happier if they'd won, national pride and all that but do I care that we came fourth, NO!! Does your average English carp angler really care, err NO!!

Last edited:

michael kirby

Reaction score
Insights into why the sa team have won 3 times

Hi my fellow countrymen , particularly Phillip and cg74 from a sunny , summer coming up South Africa , why did you have to mention Rooney !!! , as an avid Englishman i had to suffer watching him and all the other overpaid , overated , England team, live, here at the world cup face painted with the flag of Saint George and all ,still we had a ball but my Scots mates have lifetime points now !!! back to the more important business of the carp fishing , cg 74 you are probably right about the best carp anglers in the UK not being in the team but that is not really the point of what Ron and i have been discussing for 4 years on and off , obviously i am assisting Ron with his article as i live here ( 30 years ) and am 1 of only 3 non Afrikaaners who fish in provincial and national championships here in SA for freshwater Bank Angling , Ron will fish with me at "LAURENTIA" carp Dam in Johannesburg on his proposed trip in 2011 ( GOOGLE "LAURENTIA DAM JOHANNESBURG " ) i fish only socially for specimen carp but understand the reasons for the SA teams success as they were fishing against me in the SA STYLE BANK ANGLING scene until 5 years ago ( YES THEY ONLY STARTED SPECIMEN ANGLING 5 OR 6 YEARS AGO AND ARE NOW 3 TIMES WORLD CHAMPIONS !!!! ) in fact 5 of the 8 man team are my provincial team mates including the captain and 4 of the 6 anglers. i can see cg74 is a specimen angler in the true sense of the word , and i hope like Phillip he will find this interesting , without spoiling Rons forthcoming articles , here are just 2 points that to be honest have stunned this former TRENT , NIDD , WHARFE , AIRE AND OUSE stick float trotting angler ( left UK at 25 )
When i first came here i found the 90% predominant species fished for in SA inland waters are CARP , having joined a club i was horrified to find everyone fishing with traces with 2 hooks , and everyone fishing with 2 rods , plus the competitions were either ALL weekend competitions or full 8 hour days , the reason for both of these is the distances to the dams , i drove for instance 4 hours to practice last week then 4 hours back in one day !! , the reasons for the 2 rod and 2 hook set ups is that you look out over dams the size of which you can only imagine , you cannot see the other side , then the bottoms are from 6 to 8 inches in silt , BUT to get to 6 feet depth or where the fish are you can walk out up to 100 sometimes 150 meters , the 2 hooks are so at least you can over the match find out if you are in silt and which hook the fish are taking , once we have confirmed this we often remove the unneccesary hook actually , there are some important things regarding the composition of feed etc but thats for later, here i will give you 2 tasters and some of the reasons why the SA anglers have been doing so well as Phillip requested.
1. At first the 2 hooks story seems odd , but i soon discovered an amazing thing , the SA anglers were using different flavours of dip or glug on the top and bottom hook , for instance top hook dipped in Garlic , bottom hook in Banana , one was a caller the other a taker !!! i refused to believe this at first , but in one club comp was blanking and then the guy on the next peg came over with 2 bottles , the top hook he dipped in TCP the bottom in STRAWBERRY , within 5 minutes of casting in both rods ran , i then discovered that these guys fishing cases carried up to 100 different flavours and all the combinations were listed in books , for different water conditions and different waters , these days i carry in my own box 66 dips or glugs and have all my own combinations listed i fish for the province and i know more or less what to use where and when , on Saturday for instance at the nationals venue where i practiced i discovered that just a touch of 'CLOVE OIL" on my feed , with my hooked dipped in PEACH was a killer , the point is these guys have taken this to the CARP fishing scene i know for a fact they won on a combination of caller and taker last year in France , the amount of dips for sale here is unbelievable , i tried to tell Mitch Smith the England team captain this here 3 years ago but he basically gave me a blank , i can promise you take the amount of dips or glugs on the market in the UK and times it by 100 and you still will not be near the amount on the shelves here in the fishing shops , for you to try put the first dip of the following on your feed or PVA bag , soak or dip the second on the hookbait , these are known winning combinations i know you can get.
GALIC/BANANA , TCP/STRAWBERRY , MOLLASES/RASPBERRY ALMOND/ BANANA , CARAMEL/PINEAPPLE.
2.CASTING
Because of the big shallow dams , we have to cast here very small weights ( that do not sink into the mud ) we put the feed AROUND THE WEIGHT , up to 150 meters the SA bank Anglers through necessity have become the very best light weight long distance casters in the world ( Ron has some of my traces to show ) sometimes if you cant get to 150 meters you wont get a bite every one in the SA team was a top bank angler then moved to 72 hour carp scene , i once fished with one of them Andries Maree at provincial trials he put those small weights with the feed around 120 meters into a 30km an hour wind into an area the size of a dustbin lid with both rods he got 39 fish i got 9 ,because i could not get the distance or the accuracy , these are just 2 of the reasons , there are more hope his gave you a taster and please try the caller /taker theory it works , by the way we fish here with dough made from flour on the hooks , hooks are quite small 0.8 DAIICHI size here is a KILLER dough recipe to try a paste bait with
1. Take a powerade bottle and clean well
2. pour in one tin condensed milk
3. pour in one bottle moirs or robertsons almond ( 40ml )
4. fill bottle to top of wide bit
5. dip knife into bottle john west crushed garlic
6. wash off into powerade bottle
7. Shake bottle , keep in fridge
8. night before fishing pour 1 inch into bottom of coffee beaker , mix in cake flour with a fork adding a bit at a time until it is like chewing gum .
9 put into a bank bag
10. at venue snip corner of bag , squeeze out and mould on to hook the size you want , keep dough in cooler box .
ALTERNATIVE
Make thicker with either 1 or half another condensed milk , then glug or pour onto feed .
these things work !! for the bio chemists Almond is the second highest MAGNESIUM content after the Hazel Nut .
Good night all , please keep well .
Best Regards until later
Mike Kirby

cg74

Reaction score
Michael, interesting read and I for one openly admit casting 150 metres with any sort of consistancy just ain't going to happen, as for accuracy, nuff said!

Should add, after working (and fishing) with a few SA's over the years, they do swear by two things; their pastes and natural baits.
The amount of times I've been told to get a suction pump to extract naturals from the lake bed..... but also they've all commented favourably on our boilies, as I've said before, we should never stop learning from others.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Hello Michel, it was very good of you to come back to share these things with us. Some very interesting points.

I think part of the fun of fishing is to experiment with baits and flavours, I thought there was already a mind boggling number in the UK but it sounds like you guys in SAfrica are even more spoilt for choice !

My only problem with such a vast selection is that with so many it must be tempting to chop and change and it must be almost impossible to really give any 1 or 2 an extended trial…and by that I mean over a entire season or even several seasons of fishing to see how they compare against one another.

The ground bait around the lead idea is similar to the concept of the method feeder, you also mention PVA bags and this is something else that is used allot in the UK which gives the same sort of bait distribution.

The idea of the 2 hooks and the caller and the taker idea sounds interesting …it sounds similar to something I saw as a kid whilst Cod fishing in the English channel. The skipper of the boat used two hooks baited differently, 1 with a smelly piece of squid or fish and the other with Lug worm and he was absolutely adamant that one attracted and the other nailed the fish…the tickler and the nailer something like that he called it. Anyway it brought back memories !

I am not sure the two hooks idea however would really be accepted in the UK for Carp fishing, more from an ethical point of view rather than a practical one although on the other hand I think we can also be a bit OTT on whats deemed as ethical or polically correct from time to time.

Anyway Interesting stuff…I like the idea of using TCP as a flavour …I might even give it a bash myself on some bread for Chub.

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. Hopefully we will see you on the forum on a regular basis.

dezza

Reaction score
All most interesting Mike.

In the days I fished in SA using 2 hooks in the large silty bottomed impoundments such as Vaal Dam and Bloemhof, I don't remember ever having a fish tether itself as a result. I used to wince a bit when using 2 hooks, but in time I forgot about it and carried on with my fishing.

And I nearly always used two different baits. Maize on one hook and paste on the other was a common combination.

Two hooks are often used in the UK (where allowed) for roach fishing using a heavy feeder filled with maggots and the bow string effect.

The concept of using two or more hooks is common in the UK especially amongst fly fishers. I often use as many as 3 flies on one leader, a point fly and two droppers. And I think I can count on one hand the times when a trout has tethered itself! What does happen is that you hook a trout on one fly and whilst playing it, another trout takes one of the other flies.

And you always lose the bigger fish!

michael kirby

Reaction score
Mike Kirby

Good Evening fellow anglers , have just returned from our masters bank angling championships ( over 50s ) representing our prvince ( like a county ) we came 2nd in what was one of the closest nationals in years , after leading on day one with carp our biggest rivals decided to fish with one rod ( we fish with 2 rods ) for Carp and the other rod for "catfish" and they caught on 2 or 3 of the 6 pegs catfish up to 19KG with several just behind , on day 3 we resisted the urge to change stuck to the Carp and nearly caught them , however silver was a good result. 96 anglers ( 12 per province , 2 to a peg in 6 Zones ) caught over 4 tons of fish in 3 days , we fished at Bloemhof Sloep , and the average carp was about 2 kgs , biggest caught over 5kgs , as you can see the entire Bloemhof dam is an Angling Mecca and anybody wanting a hectic fishing holiday should consider it , the cost of our very good accomodation which included a packed lunch and a good evening meal was 10 pounds per night , as i have stated before and what you will see in Rons forthcoming articles,i am sure, is we caught on combinations on the outside of the feed bomb ( method feeder ) on the 2 hooks we used some locally made SA things called floaties one rod we fished with "soft sweetcorn floats" and on the other " plain orange hard floats " on the outside of our feed bomb we used basically 3 combinations we found worked in practice
COMBINATION 1 cover feed bomb in Banana cream , then put on top a dip called "guru" which is a raspberry flavour with a slight scent or musk undertone
COBINATION 2 was cover the feed bomb in peach , then add a very strong granidilla over it
COMBINATION 3 was to cover the feedbomb with a strong orange coloured Almond
For all those of you that do not believe in this attractor theory , i beg you on your next fishing trip using the method feeder to try putting something over the bomb , i am sure on a cold winters day in good old England a few drops of TCP on the bomb will have amazing results , in the summer try fruity stuff , on hot very windy days try " clove oil coloured red " particularly in the afternoons , and please please give us feedback , and dont worry about Ron we will look after him , i believe these articles of his could be of great use and i can honestly say there is no one better qualified to write them , and i truly believe in this ever shrinking world that we can all learn from each other .
By the way i would have liked to dip bloody Rooney in TCP when he was here ~!!!! , fishing is a sport of enormous intelect sort of a cross between doing the telegraph crossword , playing cluedo and trivial persuit , i beg you lets not discuss a man who still has the "beano " delivered
Tight Lines
Mike Kirby
THE SOUTH AFRICAN CONNECTION

cg74

Reaction score
I am not exactly sure when in 2009 the Gigantica European Carp Cup was held but I watched the conclusion on Sunday evenings Thinking Tackle, results as follows:

position / total team weight / number of fish

1: England / 383lb 12oz / 17

2: Holland/Belgium / 191lb 8oz / 8

3: Germany / 0lb 0oz / 0

I guess that is definative proof we were/are Europes finest???????;):wh

Compleat irrelevance to anything both this competion and the one featured in this thread, I guess it matters to some?!:confused:
(Anyone know if England defended the title this year and if so, how did they go??);):D

Mr Clay Hat (or whoever/whatever you are), I never read your article in WH Smiths but never fear a mate of mine buys CAT mag so I'll get to browse through it.

Nice read Mike K. cheers.:)

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have been using two hook rigs for carp for ages but now only do it when things are getting hard as most people give me funny looks though it is not often banned specifically .I usually use a pop up style bait on the helicopter style rig about 16" away from the lead .

Very interesting reading this thread but not anything new revealled apart from the actuall quanty of flavours though the use of one to pull them in and one for the taker is a nice adaption on what most people do anyway .

I don't agree with the use a flavour all season to be able to compare it brigade or the sit around for three days waiting for a bite brigade either my time is to precious for all that .

For me fishing for carp is about forcing the fish to feed so it's always been different flavour or different hook bait every hour untill something starts working better.And ultimatley you can't beat actually finding the fish in first place I have been known to move four times in a five hour session even though I have been catching and it seems to work for me.