Thermal boots !

barbelbuster

Reaction score
Continuing from my previous post I checked and my Skee Tex were bought as size 10/11, as I take a 91/2 shoe it looks like in skee Tex your need 1.5 to 2 sizes above your shoe size.

syhaze

Reaction score
i have a pair of skeetex essex thermal boots. second season and i love em.
i'm a size 10 and mine are the 9.5 to 11 size. i find they're super comfortable and have had toasty feet in temps down to -8ºC.

i recommend em highly

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I have been through various of boots including Boom 80, Sundridge Hot Foot, Skee-Tex Field, Muck Boots Lune & Baffin Trappers.

The absolute key with footwear is to buy big enough to allow your toes to move & accompanied with some breathable wool socks.

Boom 80's & Sundridge Hot Foot are great value & warm, but not breathable, which results in cold feet over longer periods.

Muck Boots Lune - Absolute rubbish. Never ever again will i rely on neoprene lined boots to offer enough insulation. They simply dont & they dont breathe very well.

Skee-Tex Field Boots - I've had 2 pairs of these over the years. First pair i had were terrible. They just didnt keep my feet warm. I sold them on years ago vowing never again, however last year, armed with better knowledge on how best to wear footwear, i tried them again. The key is buying size overly big fo your feet. I have also read that people find these boots perform better with thinner socks than thicker socks. I have tried various combination of socks between 1 season & 4 season thickness & would concur that the thinner sock does seem to compliment these boots better.

Baffin Trapper - These ARE the ultimate thermal boot. Very comfortable, very warm (rated to -70 apparantly), completely waterproof and suprisingly lightweight. Not cheap at over £100 but imo worth every penny.

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
Been out and bought skeetex original boots tried them on in the shop and 12/13 are fine for my size 12's .
Worn them out it the snow last night to the pub and then again today (also to the pub) they are great and i can see why they cost an extra £35 very warm and comfortable in fact I had to take them off in the pub to stop my feet getting too hot .
Called the skeetex shop and found out they have just had some new moulds made up for size 14 but they will not be out till febury.

My theroy on the shakespear boots is that maybe in the smaller sizes they are universal fitting then in the larger sizes the ends curve to the right or left making them handed.having now got the skeetex I am even more convinced of this as they are genuine unversal fit .
I could post a picture of the underside of the shakespear boots to prove this point they curve off by about 10 degrees yet the actuall area of grip ends about an inch before the end of the boot.
When on the feet the right foot just feels and looks like you have put the wrong boot on and the left felt and looked fine.