Things left behind and things found on fishing trips

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Years ago I got a very nice Sharpes Belmont telscopic trout net for me birthday..the all black sea trout version.Went to Pitsford for the evening,dark by the time we packed up and can only think I left the black net on the ground by the car.Didn't realise until I got home so turned round and drove 70 miles back to Pitsford thinking we were last off so it must still be there.

Was it hell...searched everywhere but not a sign....I was gutted and then had to drive another 70 miles home.Got in at about 3-30 am.

slime monster

Reaction score
Blimey Skippy you must have loved that net ,bet you were gutted.
I returned home from a remote day ticket water that i had left in darkness,after a wash and my tea my wife asked me to get something from the shop,it was then that I realised my wallet was missing,on phoning the farmer he offered to go and look for it ..a daunting task given the walk to the two acre lake He phoned to say it was lying in the car park .
what a great guy!

Nathan

Reaction score
I've found all kinds of things from floats, line & hooks to slightly more unusual items like marker floats, spinners, bait and a canoe!

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
while piking in february of this year, from a dinghy, an overzealous cast snagged me in an otherwise inaccessible stretch of bank. we went over in the boat to retrieve my spinner, and discovered it was snagged in a giant mess of lines and traces. 15 minutes later, i had no less than 7 plugs of various types, 3 wagglers and 2 cage feeders. and a rather large mess of knackered old line for the bin.

aside from this day, i have only really found the odd bankstick, float or disgorger, bait needles and i did once find a pack of three pre-tied hair rigs. all of which i have lost plenty of in my time. especially banksticks, i'm a ****** for forgetting them!

a friend once pulled out a full match rod from a local pond, and he still uses it to this day, lol

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
I remember fishing a match once and after it was over, I packed all my stuff away and made the very long walk back to the car park. It was raining and a thunderstorm was looming. I went to put one of the legs of my Boss Box down only to find it missing, and it had obviously fallen out. I decided to retrace my steps, all the way back to my far distant swim and I found the missing leg, about 5 feet away from my swim. I just about got back to my car before the thunder and lightning started

Philip

Reaction score
Interesting this thread has come up now....I have been out fishing the last two evenings on a river. On Sunday a massive Barge with a looney captain sped past way too close after dark and in my mad rush to avoid the wash I dropped my polaroids right were the tidal wave was heading. I had literally a couple of seconds to try and find them in the headlights of the barge before the water covered everything but I failed and got totally soaked to boot.

Monday evening I returned a little before dark and would you believe it - there they were.

Happy.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Blimey Skippy you must have loved that net ,bet you were gutted.
I returned home from a remote day ticket water that i had left in darkness,after a wash and my tea my wife asked me to get something from the shop,it was then that I realised my wallet was missing,on phoning the farmer he offered to go and look for it ..a daunting task given the walk to the two acre lake He phoned to say it was lying in the car park .
what a great guy!

You lucky sod Slimey....I went back for two reasons 1] I did indeed love the net and 2] it was a present from the long suffering Mrs Skippy who is not to be trifled with.A 140 mile round trip in the dark seemed a very reasonable option at the time.

And this prompts me to ask...given that most trout waters have a "lodge" of some sort if you had found my net would you have handed it in ? I'd like to think I would have in the same circumstances.

Which reminds me...I once left 3 Mitchell 300's on the banks of the Cherwell again packing up late,black reel,black case.Went back early [and I mean early] the next day and asked everyone if they'd found them.No,they said.That night I got a call from the club sec to say that "a member" had found them but didn't give them back to me when I asked because "he didn't recognise me".Hows that work then ? I got me reels back but I was a bit hacked off about how as I had to drive over to said members house with a letter of introduction from the Club Secand which,to me,felt like begging for my own reels back.

I never really forgave that bloke...I was only about 17 at the time and I'd worked & saved hard to buy those reels and nearly lost them because of a pompous fart !

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Oh and I found a motorbike...right in my favourite tench swim on the canal.Dragged it out,wheeled it down to the rozzer shop who re-united it with its owner.I felt quite good about that...though I'm not so sure he was.I suspect an insurance swindle.

PREDATOR

Reaction score
I was dead baiting for pike on carlingwalk loch a few years ago and i had taken along my mates new abu/shimano spinner rod to flirt about whilst waiting for a run etc anyway it was leaning up against a tree behind me and when i next looked some cheaky ****** had nicked it from under my nose i did,nt see anyone to be honest but had to pay £120 to replace my mates gear when i got home

Rickrod

Reaction score
Welcome to fm predator,bet you were gutted there's some sneaky ba$ta£ds about

slime monster

Reaction score
Welcome Predator,In my younger days I was the intended victim of a distraction theft of my rods high above me on the banks of the Severn but I rumbled them the idiot that came down the bank to me did not get away so I "punished him".

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I found a nice catapult on the bank yesterday - it was mine that I left there the week before! I always thought this place was underfished, this just confirms it.

I had my scales nicked too in a distraction theft a few months ago by some young kids, I caught a biggish tench afterwards too which I couldn't weigh and might have gone a Pb!