Trust Ambassador Resigns

rayner

Reaction score
Regarding the banning of angling. That will never happen.
There are far too many jobs involved, too much tax + VAT. The tax paid to the government is not off set by medical expense such as smoking, boozing and drugs.
If the antis have any grunt at all they would have shown themselves.
The only thing I have heard is from unsecure anglers, kids used to be scared of the bogey man. It is evident that some anglers are afeared of the antis. oooooo

Reaction score
Angling has many threats,anglers have to pee and poo and as i've experienced to my cost,the modern idea of going for walks around(and around)lakes and along rivers doesn't give much opportunity in these times of no toilet facilities,also angling can be a dangerous sport,especially when done by the inept,or inexperienced,discarded tackle causes harm to wildlife,which then leads to complaints,i'm sure most know of waters we used to fish years ago that you can't today(that's banned you know:)),i've talked on a thread on FM where Furzton Lake's angling future is/was under threat and when most of MKaa's stillwaters and some stretches of river are council controlled in virtual parkland,it's possible to destroy an angling association,not maybe likely,but certainly possible...

rayner

Reaction score
If anglers are to behave in a reckless manner then they should lose their waters.
The anti angling brigade, the likes of PETA perhaps scream a little. Their main focus at the moment is trying to get zoos abolished.
They are only here because they have been given short shrift in the USA.
The likes of PETA or any others for that matter keep quiet regarding angling because they have finally got it through their scull that anglers are as a whole are really good for fishes. We look after water ways notifying any authorities of any fish loss and pollution, in fact without anglers our waters would be in a far worse state than they already are.
If these fools can stop angling then I say bring it on.
If any one has objections to angling they should contact the government first, they are to blame for the state of our waters are in. They are indeed to blame for pollution and fish deaths with their cuts.
Sorry for any political content I probably wont do it again.

thecrow

Reaction score
If angling was banned then who would police the ban? wouldn't be the EA because they hardly police it now and we pay them to do that. The missing funds from anglers for the EA would maybe mean redundancies and the closing of some EA establishments.

The police? don't make me laugh I can just imagine the response if someone phoned to report someone fishing ... blue lights, sirens area taped off armed response vehicle ? no I doubt there would be any response.

The volunteer bailiff team? well for a start the Wangling Truss would no longer exist although I am sure those making a living from it now will move on to champion something else perhaps fighting for the rights of Otters :rolleyes:

How many votes would a political party loose by banning angling? not only most of/all the anglers that can no longer angle, then there's the businesses that would close and the wives of anglers that can no longer get rid of their partner or negotiate jobs at home being done in return for fishing time, no I reckon it would be political suicide for any party to ban it.

Reaction score
I think the biggest threat to angling at present isn't PETA or anti-anglers,it's the public in general,people who walk the bank,people who don't understand that if your on the bank for 4-10 hours your going to need a pee or poo and think you are a dirty bast&rd if your backs showing and your hands are holding something,they can't see anything,but that doesn't matter,these people think you should leave your tackle and go miles to the nearest toilet(as if your gear would be there when you got back),some believe we leave lead shot everywhere and kill swans with it,I was accosted by an elderly lady walking her dog telling me this,she didn't want to listen when I told her that I(and most others)havn't used lead shot since it's sale was banned back in the day,can't remember how many years ago that was,but a lot that's for sure,the public also see litter left by people fishing(I refuse to call them anglers)and there must be many complaints because it certainy pi$$es me off,there lies the threat,many of these complaints will be made by people who's dogs leave turds everywhere,but that seems more acceptable.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The folks at PE*A are in this for the very long haul . . . . they know it and are setting themselves up accordingly. When I say long haul I mean a generation or two . . . .

Look at how they have been brainwashing kids in the USA, we lived there for years and had to take action against them on several occasions.

There was a period when I spent so much of my time at their school that they were considering giving me a bloody locker ;)

There are more vegetarian "children" in the USA today than anywhere else in the world (excluding India of course) and thst has come about by their teachings in the schools.

If, or is that when, they turn their sights on angling then it will be with the long term aims in mind.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I just read on FB that the subject chap, Mr Taylor has become an "ambassador" for the Barbel Society now . . . .

Are the two mutually exclusive?

Reaction score
No Peter,but the one he's just taken on is more likely to be fishing related rather than the mumbo jumbo of the trust...:)