What defines a truly English carp?

preston96

Reaction score
I suspect that few if any of us has ever seen a genuine Aischgrunder carp. After WW2 the German fishery authorities unified all their historic breeds into one single race. According to Werner Steffens (1980) in his book Der Karpfen the Aischgrunder disappeared from carp farming in 1955. In the early part of the 1900s the old inbred historic breeds – Bohemian, Aischgrunder, Galizier (Galician), Lausitzer, Frankonian and a few others, were being 'hybridised' together on a regular basis as it was by then widely recognised that this produced faster growth. As I said there is a lot of heresay, folklore and downright nonsense perpetrated about carp races, with people looking at photos of fish and saying this one's from the Royale race, that one is a Frame carp, that one's a Galician and that one's a Dink. Honestly guys, it simply can't be done by looking at the fish.

A prize of £25 for anyone who can correctly identify these two strains.

guess1.jpg

guess2.jpg

I can't but i am fascinated by this thread!!.....look at the difference in tails!

Keep it up lads......fascinating!

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
I can't but i am fascinated by this thread!!.....look at the difference in tails!

Keep it up lads......fascinating!

Look at the difference in the front fins. (Dont know the correct name for them?) or are they just a deformity on the first fish?

i also find this thread fascinating, as i had never really considered different strains in such detail. mind, if they put a bend in my rod, thats the most important thing to me. and they would all do that!

preston96

Reaction score
Look at the difference in the front fins. (Dont know the correct name for them?) or are they just a deformity on the first fish?

i also find this thread fascinating, as i had never really considered different strains in such detail. mind, if they put a bend in my rod, thats the most important thing to me. and they would all do that!

I don't mate....but i would gamble on that common pulling harder than the mirror.

Frothey

Reaction score
i had never really considered different strains in such detail. mind, if they put a bend in my rod, thats the most important thing to me. and they would all do that!

the rig you'd need for

aisch.jpg

to put a bend in your rod would be totally different to the rig for

OldLeney.jpg

kevclifford

Reaction score
Stealph Viper, I see you've been looking at the Szarvas Fish Culture Research station's list of carp they have stored for a gene bank. Since this list is fairly easy to access on the web I wasn't going to make it that easy to win my £25! Nice try.

preston96

Reaction score
I suspect that few if any of us has ever seen a genuine Aischgrunder carp. After WW2 the German fishery authorities unified all their historic breeds into one single race. According to Werner Steffens (1980) in his book Der Karpfen the Aischgrunder disappeared from carp farming in 1955. In the early part of the 1900s the old inbred historic breeds – Bohemian, Aischgrunder, Galizier (Galician), Lausitzer, Frankonian and a few others, were being 'hybridised' together on a regular basis as it was by then widely recognised that this produced faster growth. As I said there is a lot of heresay, folklore and downright nonsense perpetrated about carp races, with people looking at photos of fish and saying this one's from the Royale race, that one is a Frame carp, that one's a Galician and that one's a Dink. Honestly guys, it simply can't be done by looking at the fish.

guess1.jpg

guess2.jpg

OK...this is to easy for a man of my calibre....the top one is of the Mirror (lateral variaty) strain.

The bottom one is of the i go like stink, Common ( canadian:p) strain.

Please send all my winnings to the pub at the end of our road.:D

noknot

Reaction score
Dear Kevin,

Would you be so kind to tell the strains of these Carp, as I would love to know, then I will tell you where I caught them:

DSC_1705.jpg

Mirror.jpg

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My tuppenceworth.

RW was famous because of his scientific approach to angling so of course he would have used delkims, hnv baits and carbons if they had been available.
---
My recording of the Martin James interview has RW saying "...it was very accurately weighed the next morning with an inspector of weights and measures and one or two witnesses present and found to weigh 44 pounds"
---
I'd like to thank all of you for a most entertaining thread. I don't care if it went off topic. But I'll still call my local pond carplets 'wildies' because that's what they look like to me.

kevclifford

Reaction score
Dear NoKnot,
If you read my postings carefully, you'll see I'm the bloke who claims you CAN'T just look at a carp and determine it's strain or race. Maybe a 100 years ago when there was just a handful of proper distinct races, but there have been 1000's of strains created since the 1920s and I reckon it's simply impossible with any degree of certaintly. There may be other evidence that might give you an idea. For example everyone knows that if you catch a carp from Redmire it's of the Galician race... why? Because everyone says so. But has anyone ever checked the evidence? Or have we just repeated what one man said (and I don't mean Donald Leney because he simply repeated what he was told).

noknot

Reaction score
Thank you kevin,

Both of these Carp were caught in Hong Kong, the Mirror is a special fish as they are very rare indeed, I have caught 100's of Commons here but only two Mirrors!

Thank's again for your reply.

Philip

Reaction score
Quote===================================================================================================================================

guess1.jpg

guess2.jpg
[/QUOTE]
=====================================================================================================================================

...Excellent stuff guys..so much still to learn !

I agree its impossible to i.d the strains from a photo. Guessing it may be a trick question so to try and get my hands on the cash ;-)) I'll go for them being a recent Uk bred fisherpond / Mark simmons type fish or something like that ..only reason I say that is because someone has gone to the trouble to carefully photo them with a reference number so its prob in a country that sees Carp as a valued fish and don't just chuck a whole lot in a bucket...i.e the UK...

I was very interested in the info on true wild Carp. One thing still not clear to me...are they saying they can now positively i.d a true wild carp (like the Danube fish) with a DNA test or not ? I find that pretty amazing if they can...how else could they be 100% certain about 3 of them ? Further, if its DNA is different does that also mean its Latin name will also be different ? ...which in turns means its not actually a "Carp" as we know them in the UK so wild or not it then falls into the Blue/Bull/Chinese and so on category of Carp ? ...does that make sense ? ..prob not..

Ok put it another way. If someone caught a 100 pound true Danube wild Carp...would that be classed as the new world record and the first true 100 pound "Carp" or would it be classed as a different fish like the Chinese or Blue Carp ?

I caught some Carp in Australia a while back I don't know the history behind how Carp arrived there and I guess the text books will say "feral" or similar
but to me they will always be "wild". Anyway here's a link with some photos so you can make up your own mind..

http://www.fishingmagic.com/venues/travelreports/9492.html

Last edited:

elliottwaters

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I occasionally get permission to fish a small estate lake in Kent, which I fish mainly for its beauty and peace and quiet rather than any expectation of catching much. It’s in the grounds of what was once a medieval monastery and the current owners claim the lake was originally used as a stock pond by the monks.

The lake has never been stocked or managed by an angling club and contains small roach, tench, gudgeon and carp. The carp which look to run no bigger than 10 pounds or so are extraordinarily wary and very difficult to catch. On the odd occasion I strike lucky they are fully scaled, long, lean, and totally different from the carp caught from commercials or club lakes which now seem to be as broad as they are long.

Can these be the original; “wild carp”? Anyone got any ideas?

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I occasionally get permission to fish a small estate lake in Kent, which I fish mainly for its beauty and peace and quiet rather than any expectation of catching much. It’s in the grounds of what was once a medieval monastery and the current owners claim the lake was originally used as a stock pond by the monks.

The lake has never been stocked or managed by an angling club and contains small roach, tench, gudgeon and carp. The carp which look to run no bigger than 10 pounds or so are extraordinarily wary and very difficult to catch. On the odd occasion I strike lucky they are fully scaled, long, lean, and totally different from the carp caught from commercials or club lakes which now seem to be as broad as they are long.

Can these be the original; “wild carp”? Anyone got any ideas?

This sounds exactly like the sort of place I've been hoping to find but unfortunately evidence would suggest that the carp in your pool are "feral" carp as opposed to true wildies. It still sounds like a wonderful place to fish.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

As a quick off topic post I've just got hold of a video (one of John Wilson's Go Fishing Masterclass series) with **** Walker and John discussing Pike and Chub fishing. Is anyone aware of any other footage of **** Walker out there? Kev?

kevclifford

Reaction score
Philip,
I am not a fish geneticist but I understand you are asking this question: If you leave a domesticated carp long enough would it revert back to a true ancestoral wild carp? All varieties of dogs came from the wolf and were domesticated by man. If you left a pekingese or a bulldog long enough would it revert back to a wolf? The origin of the domesticated cow is the auroch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs). If you left the domesticated cow to its own devices would it revert back to an auroch? Scientists tell us that the answer to all three questions is empatically no. The domesticated cow wouldn't survive long left in the wild without fields of managed grass and would soon fall foul to predators and disease. In the case of carp the changes made by man are not as great as that made in dogs and cows, but the same applies. Once man removed the ancestoral wild carp from its original home - the Danube, and put it in ponds, it changed irrevocably. Man didn't have to do anything else – that was enough to change it. It's shape, muscle content and other biological features would change because it no longer needed to swim against a strong current and find its food in a river, etc., its spawning time, oxygen requirement, temperature preference would alter as would other functions of it existence. But of course man did much more. He selected individuals for particular characteristics and inbred these - just like dogs and cows – and produced individual breeds having specific and reproduceable characteristics. So a domesticated carp can, over a very long time, revert to what looks similar to Danubian wild carp but it will never be identical.

Chris, there was an excellent feature about **** Walker's radio and tv appearances in No 59 Classic Angling. I don't suppose the editor would mind me scanning those pages and letting you have them for the purpose of research! Or you could buy it direct from Classic Angling. Drop me a line on carpercfn@btconnect.com with your email and I'll send it to you. How did you get on at Croxby?

The images of carp by the way, since I'm not overwhelmed by folk wanting to take my £25. The top one (No 11) is a South Bohemian mirror carp. It is kept at a gene bank in the Czech Republic becaue of its importance. The bottom one is a cross between the Russian Ropsa and the Mariánskolázenský scaly carp.

Australian carp are definately feral domesticated carp. Got the following from Australian Museum. Three strains of carp have been introduced to Australia, an ornamental strain near Sydney (1850-60), a Singaporean strain in the Murrumbidgee (1876), and a hybrid "Boolara" strain in Victoria (1961). The latter two strains have interbred and this species is now a major pest in many inland streams in New South Wales.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The images of carp by the way, since I'm not overwhelmed by folk wanting to take my £25. The top one (No 11) is a South Bohemian mirror carp. It is kept at a gene bank in the Czech Republic becaue of its importance. The bottom one is a cross between the Russian Ropsa and the Mariánskolázenský scaly carp.

FFS Kev, i was just going to say it was them two :D

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
"Australian carp are definately feral domesticated carp. Got the following from Australian Museum. Three strains of carp have been introduced to Australia, an ornamental strain near Sydney (1850-60), a Singaporean strain in the Murrumbidgee (1876), and a hybrid "Boolara" strain in Victoria (1961). The latter two strains have interbred and this species is now a major pest in many inland streams in New South Wales."

And throughout the entire Murray river system where, having destroyed all the habitat and spawning grounds of the Murray cod and other species they are considered vermin. When I lived in Oz in the early 80s, there was a A$4000 fine for returning a carp alive and all netted carp (truckloads!) were plowed into the soil. I was a headbanger carp angler at the time and had a bit of trouble getting my head around it. One mans meat etc...

kevclifford

Reaction score
Slealph Viper,
Why did I think you were going to say that? Tell you what I'll dig out another couple and give you a second chance, eh?

preston96

Reaction score
Kevin, the cow comparison is a bad one....any domesticated mammal, humans included would probably die if left to fend for themselves, fish may not( which is basically what you said).......how can you be so sure the carp would never totally revert back to a danubian? if they can almost get there what stops the final metamorphis?.