When to hit the Perch bites when ledgering ?

shane99

Reaction score
Whether Live or lobs on a running rig, when do you guys ?

I have missed too many ...

B

binka

It's the kind of thing that can drive you to distraction.

I've done a heck of a lot of float fishing for perch and prefer it as I can leave a long tip showing with worm which makes it easy to see what's going on, ignoring the numerous plucks and pull downs until the float sails away.

If legering try and interpret the movements of an ultra-light bobbin in the same manner if you can, ignoring the tweaks and twitchy pulls until something positive happens but if you get a small lift which stays up for a second or so hit it.

Beyond that it might be worth looking at your hook size and bait hooking arrangement and making sure there is as little resistance in the rig as possible.

Good luck with it...

denzinho

Reaction score
I've done a heck of a lot of float fishing for perch and prefer it as I can leave a long tip showing with worm which makes it easy to see what's going on, ignoring the numerous plucks and pull downs until the float sails away.

Couldn't agree more....it's better for preventing resistance which Perch hate and will drop a bait in a second if they feel anything.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I use a very light bomb rod fitted with a quarter oz glass tip and a running half ounce Arlesey bomb for lobs. Hook size 12/14. Once I cast out and place the rod in the rest I let my mainline go a bit slack. Rather than watching the tip I watch the line at the point where it sinks. It will either move quickly and register on the sensitive tip or go totally slack. Either way I lift into it asap in order to avoid deephooking.

nicepix

Reaction score
I use a very light bomb rod fitted with a quarter oz glass tip and a running half ounce Arlesey bomb for lobs. Hook size 12/14. Once I cast out and place the rod in the rest I let my mainline go a bit slack. Rather than watching the tip I watch the line at the point where it sinks. It will either move quickly and register on the sensitive tip or go totally slack. Either way I lift into it asap in order to avoid deephooking.

Good tip that. :)

It is amazing at what you see develop with no indication of the quiver tip or bobbin just by watching that bit of line between rod tip and water.

john step

Reaction score
This has cropped up before and my twopennysworth was.....I use a hair rig for perch. Usually about a 6 on about 2inches for live or dead bait and a 12 or10 for worm. One of those Korum bait spike things for worm and a thing that looks like a round safety pin for the fish.( cant think of the correct name). All barbless.

A fine quiver tip that is almost about to bend on a running bomb completes the set up.
Sometimes I do the same bait arrangements with a small top and bottom float that is cast out and tweaked back every couple of minutes or so.
I am not saying you can leave the strike a long time but you dont have to hit every little knock straight away as the bites are mostly posotive and the fish hooked just inside cleanly.
I've had plenty on this in several waters.

rubio

Reaction score
A missed bite will often mean the fish is still around watching. You could do worse than tighten up slowly and twitch and lift a little at a time. They often seem to hit once dinner is disappearing. Bass, which have similarities with perch often hit a bait, fish or worm, with their gill covers then follow it down before taking it into their mouth.

sagalout

Reaction score
Have you tried Sakuma circle hooks, I use them for all my live bait fishing now, pike and perch and have had a much improved hook up rate with no deep hookers. Apparently there is no need to strike and the hook catches on the way out.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
I use Sakuma circle hooks for worm fishing size 8-12 and they are great , hit most bites and no deep hooking

The bad one

Reaction score
Whether Live or lobs on a running rig, when do you guys ?

I have missed too many ...

In many cases it's small perch just grabbing the end of the worm without taking the hook in its mouth and running off with it, giving what looks like a real positive perch bite.

shane99

Reaction score
sagalout, looked at circle hooks in general today & the principle makes sense so will follow your lead ..

J hooks will deep hook if the Perch has the time

strikerbw

Reaction score
Shane99,

Used circle hooks for first time on weekend fishing lives for the perch. Was really impressed with both the hook up rate and the ease the fish hook themselves with only a need to lift the rod and not strike. Also by hooking the livebait NOT in the lip but further down the body all the perch were lip hooked in the corner of the mouth with not one of us deep hooking a perch.

shane99

Reaction score
Will try them next time ...

---------- Post added at 14:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Shane99,

Used circle hooks for first time on weekend fishing lives for the perch. Was really impressed with both the hook up rate and the ease the fish hook themselves with only a need to lift the rod and not strike. Also by hooking the livebait NOT in the lip but further down the body all the perch were lip hooked in the corner of the mouth with not one of us deep hooking a perch.

Thats the thing mate, where do you hook them ...

sagalout

Reaction score
I always crush the barb (club rule) and hook my live baits in the top lip/through the nostril then put a small off cut of rubber band on the hook to stop the bait swimming off.