Why a Pike close season?

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
I'm the Regional Officer for the PAC in Rotherham and Sheffield and in my personal experience other species are just as vulnerable to going belly up in water with low oxygen levels.
I fish the Trent quite often during the summer off my boat and its amazing how many barbel come floating past either dead or dying not too far below anglers who thought their catch had gone back well. I believe similarly that some pike go back fine but suffer later while many others are totally unaffected.
I also believe that pike should be fished for in the summer with tackle that is capable of bringing them to the bank fast to minimise their exertion and related build up of lactic acid which seems to be linked to some deaths. This is because they do fight much harder as they are at their peak of fitness and you can struggle with light tackle.
One thing I have noticed though is that generally the size of pike during the warmer weather is smaller than the winter, which is probably a good thing as a fighting fit 20 will test even heavy tackle.
Finally I'm a big believer not bait fishing outside what was the traditional pike season as due to the warmer water the pikes metabolism makes them susceptible to gorging a bait much faster than in cold water. At times they do simply flare their gills vacuum a bait in and swallow in one action and no matter how good your bite indication is you have a deep hooked pike to contend with.
I have had one known fatality during my summer fishing and that was on a small bait intended for zander, the pike was only 5lb or so and lightly hooked, it was brought in reasonably fast but even while being unhooked I could tell all was not well. I nursed it in the margin for around 20 minutes before it finally died, I did feel bad about it for a long time afterwards but feel I didn't do anything wrong.
Lets be fair if we wanted to be totally risk free we wouldn't fish at all and common sense must prevail.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
if we wanted to be totally risk free we wouldn't fish at all
I think that is the most telling statement of all. There's a risk in catching any fish at any time of year, whether close season or other traditional season. There can always be one fish, big or small, that no matter how it is handled or quickly brought to the net, it passes away and there is no evidence for it having done so. It wouldn't have felt any self pity and neither should you. It's nature.

Just to pass on a couple of ideas I've been given over the years, this first by an old Dutch friend of mine who was a keen predator angler. He fished in deep waters and would drop his fish slightly nose down from about a metre above the water. He reckoned that the fish doesn't have much time to dwell on the surface and hurries down to cooler water in the depths where it feels safest. Whether this applies to other species such as barbel and chub I have never been willing to test out, but with pike it does...

Also, from a former EA Area Fisheries Manager, with most species you have approximately 20 minutes to fight a fish before the lactic acids start to build up in their muscle tissue. Even then, it's not a foregone conclusion that the fish will die, but it does put it more at risk. So, a quick fight, unhooked, and back in the water double quick. Never mind taking pictures of yourself holding it, although sometimes that is necessary.

BTW, does anyone know the levels of DO that fish can tolerate?

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Had a quick read of the Anglers mail while waiting in Tescos. An article by Dr Ian Welch caught me eye on why he would ban summer pike fishing. He also would like to see a ban during their spawning season February March and April and in the run up to it. So using the traditional pike close season, in which he believes, as a yardstick his pike fishing season would only be for 2/3 months a year.

Philip

Reaction score
Had a quick read of the Anglers mail while waiting in Tescos. An article by Dr Ian Welch caught me eye on why he would ban summer pike fishing. He also would like to see a ban during their spawning season February March and April and in the run up to it. So using the traditional pike close season, in which he believes, as a yardstick his pike fishing season would only be for 2/3 months a year.

Well he had no problem sticking a 1st October start date when he was head of LSA /CEMEX

I think its all a bit screwy. Fish dont like to get caught at any time summer or winter. If we really cared that much I doubt anyone would go fishing at all.