''Why''

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well, my wife says I still look okay.....mind you, she hasn't mentioned this of late. Come to think of it, not for some years !!

The freebies thingy sounds just the ticket for those with limited funds......AND those who just like something for nothing. Heaven forbid this applies to ancient FM members, though !!

thecrow

Reaction score
The freebies thingy sounds just the ticket for those with limited funds......AND those who just like something for nothing. Heaven forbid this applies to ancient FM members, though !!

As I am always skint I fall into both of those categories, would it be enough for me to produce an article for FM? not sure it would, I have written a few articles for the ABF online magazine (riffle) and many moons ago for the Barbel Catchers magazine but I aint no Charles ****ens and I am not sure I would have the confidence to write one for here and I think that may be the problem stopping others from doing it.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Creating a post about ones fishing exploits isn't difficult, you write the words and insert the pics by using the image box to link to your picture hosting site..
Not difficult at all, but maybe it could be explained at the top of the pages?

given the level of tech required to do that, yer average 10 year old could manage it.... I think there is a certain reluctance to post on the part of new members, when they see other board members ripping into each other... it's not pretty and adds an atmosphere to the site.... hence my decision to take a step back a few weeks ago....
That said, I get as much enjoyment from writing up my trips as I do from the fishing...

Just a thought.... Maybe there should be a welcome pack sent to every prospective member's email at the time of their application, on how to post and how to insert pics.

And Facebook....(I hate it ) is slowly killing off fora up and down the country.... in the main, because it's not as tightly moderated....(god knows it should be) as your average fishing forum.... Twitter is just as bad
(can't be having with either of em)

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
If you upload your pics to a hosting site like The Cloud, Tinypic, or Photobucket then to post them on here, you just right click on the pic you want, select "View Image Info" copy the link, then open the "reply to thread" on this site, select the little picture icon on the toolbar, when the box opens delete the HTTP highlighted in blue, then right click and paste the link you copied, select okay and it's job done:cool:

well.... that's how I do it from Photobucket....

thecrow

Reaction score
If you upload your pics to a hosting site like The Cloud, Tinypic, or Photobucket then to post them on here, you just right click on the pic you want, select "View Image Info" copy the link, then open the "reply to thread" on this site, select the little picture icon on the toolbar, when the box opens delete the HTTP highlighted in blue, then right click and paste the link you copied, select okay and it's job done:cool:

well.... that's how I do it from Photobucket....

Thanks for that Arthur, its as clear as a swim full of Bream to me, what does it cost to upload photographs to any of those sites you mentioned?

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Photobucket is free....:thumbs:

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

if you have a smartphone you can upload direct to Photobucket via their mobile app (free from the playstore) as soon as you've taken the pic (as long as you have a signal)

robtherake

Reaction score
Nope, right clicked on pic but don't see any "view image info" fell at the first hurdle :(

You've uploaded a pic to photobucket? It's easy from there; on your Photobucket page click on the thumbnail of the pic you want to show in the forum. When the image appears, you'll see a selection of links on the right. The IMG one is what you want. If you click on it it'll then say "copied" or "copied to clipboard." That's all you need to do on here.

Back to the post on the forum. Now right-click at the place in the text that you've chosen for your pic and select paste. If all is well, the gobbledegook that appears is a direct link to your image in Photobucket.

If you've done it right, (try "Preview Post" to see if you've been successful) then your pic will show up and you just need to post it in the usual way.

flightliner

Reaction score
After so many piks on your phone stored by i cloud it costs The crow, its just a con to get folk to spend.
I use another forum at times and its just three very simple clicks to upload a pik, Its sooooo easy for a computer user like me with no experience / training.
I enjoy posting piks there and would post more on the "How did you get on" thread if it were more user friendly on FM.
I must try this photobucket.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Interesting points about putting pics on forums, I know how awkward it is, (well for me anyway), to upload on to the BS forum, its one reason why Facebook is so popular and I have to say I'm a huge fan of Facebook because the moderating is as good as it gets.....its me!
And to be fair I've hardly moderated a single post on my own page in the past five years.
Most use phones for pics and its a couple of clicks and the pic is on FB.
Facebook has made a huge impact on forums and that cannot be denied.

Going back to articles for the site, it's simplicity itself.

1500 words on a word document, half a dozen pics as an attachment and email it to the editor - job done.

Bearing in mind the amount of 'abuse' I've had to endure over the years I can't see why anyone should be concerned about the reception their work might receive!

And anyone should be able to do it.

Yesterday I put together 1000 words for Coarse Angling Today - straight off the top of my head, emailed it over in the way described, an email comes back a few hours later saying its ok and another job is done.

It really is that simple.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Binka...Thanks for the quality step - by - step guide ! It's on my favourites bar for quick reference, so who knows, I may just add a few pics from time to time.

Just need to catch a few fish now.....

bracket

Reaction score
Thanks for the link binka. I had already worked it out, but knowing the procedure is readily available is reassuring. Continuing on the “Why” theme, I had the good fortune to make the acquaintance of Dorsetandchub yesterday evening at my local. We spent a pleasant ninety minutes discussing angling and the world in general and I appreciated he’d taken the trouble to make the contact. I know that distance does not always make such meetings practical. However I have no doubt that being able to put a face to a name certainly “oils the wheels” breaking down barriers, so to speak, and can only be of benefit to the continuation the forum. Pete.