What do you do ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Once the Bivvy is up, Baits are out and the Buzzers are on ?

I like to take a book with me, if it's winter I turn on the Radio and listen to Talk Sport.

Bob

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I would be sat next to my rods watching either the water or the indicators.That said I dont do long sessions though all day in winter seems long enough. I'm afraid I just cannot sit out of reach of my rods and have to pay full attention to what is going on. It is not in me to do otherwise.

uscarper

Reaction score
i normally sit and watch the water for signs of fish, and watch my rods and lines. i don't own any alarms, just a set of rod holders. i like to watch birds and wildlife. i usually fish day sessions, but have seen the time when a bivy would have been nice during some multiple days catfishing. most of my carp sessions are from 3 to 12 hours. i take some fruit and sandwichs some tea and i'm set for the day.

beerweasel

Reaction score
I don't fish "A LA BIVVY" but if I did anybody with a radio would wind me up big time.
That is not fishing mate !

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Is this site full of People that have never gone Modern Carp Fishing ?

I think it is.

Why every time a thread comes up about Modern Carp Fishing, do the same old suspects get on a tread and Say- It ain't prper fishing, sit on your rods, hold the handle of the rod ?

Are you stuck in the Dark Ages ?

This is a thread about lads who do go Night Fishing in all weathers, not about those who have no wish to go night fishing ?

Bob

richiekelly

Reaction score
i always take a radio fishing, when i fished for carp a lot the winter nights were very long, i still take one now to listen to the test match there are some very good comedy shows and plays on radio 4.

jollyboy

Reaction score
Never owned a bivvy and have no wish to,

ditto .

---------- Post added at 10:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Why every time a thread comes up about Modern Carp Fishing, do the same old suspects get on a tread and Say- It ain't prper fishing, sit on your rods, hold the handle of the rod ?

Are you stuck in the Dark Ages ?

Thats a bit of an unfair comment Bob first off the Bivvy and buzzer approach is hardly new age modern. Second just because someone prefers more real time interaction while fishing it does not mean they are in the dark ages...Everyone is each to there own and it is all down to what rocks ones boat.....

The reason that fishing "detached" as to speak is not for me personally is I crave the anticipation and when you get that knock on the rod or a dynamic take after waiting there in anticipation you seem to feel it right through your body... and that ain't including what the mind is doing tying to work out just what is going on down there while all the little vibrations and nudges... I just don't think I would get this sitting in a bivvy watching tv waiting for the remote controlled alarms to get me running to my rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Bob,
unless it's chucking it down, I'll put my chair as close to the rods as possible and relax. Chances are that I'll have a bit of a sweat on after wrestling with the damned bivvy and lugging all the gear so I'll have a quick slurp of water/pop too.

I am likely to have my little DAB radio with me and it's likely to be on either 5Live or Radio 2. I'm also likely to take my Kindle with me. If anyone else can hear my bite alarms (set on silent with a buzzing remote) or radio then it'll mean that they are sat in my peg. If it bothers them so much, they can feel free to get out of my peg.;):D I'll bet that they can't hear it if they move more than five paces from me.

Not everyone with bite alarms or a little radio is the inconsiderate hooligan that some folks on here make out. I have had several folks comment that I can't have caught as they've not heard my bite alarms, despite me catching several fish. I've also had questions about the radio along the lines of "why bother bring it if you don't turn it on?" when I've quietly listened to it all day.
My own radio on loud would annoy the hell out of me, let alone anyone else. I don't wish to spoil my own day let alone other peoples.

I'll be surprised if for every annoying loon with music blaring there aren't at least another ten folks with a little radio that no one but the owner even knows is on.

cg74

Reaction score
These days I usually collapse into an exhausted heap, but if I've got the energy, then I'd flake into my chair with a cup of coffee, a smoke and the radio playing quietly in the background. Regards the station, depends on location and time of day, been getting into Wyvern fm's Sunday night talk show of late....

Bob, I think the trouble isn't so much that many on this forum have never done "modern carping;" its more that they can't see past their experiences of fishing. I think many might change tact if their quarry took 240 hours to finally pick up your bait,,,,,,,,, some would quit, some would seek their own roots to success but most (if committed to the challenge) would go down the bivvy and alarm approach.

But many on here seem to see the local commercial as the epitome of carp angling and where we're all at!!

I can't remember who mentioned not being able to sit out of reach of their rods, I to have fished in such circumstances; I fished with the rod butts inside my bivvy doorway.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I find mobile phones more annoyng than a radio that I can hardly hear...don't own one of them either:D

Snap, I cringe when loud phones go off every five minutes. Fortunately, no one ever rings mine!:eek:;):D Only last week I was on a busy day ticket stretch of the Swale. I could barely hear my radio over the, almost continuous, conversation between two blokes fifty yards downstream of me. I ended up having to turn it up a notch, louder than I'd like, just to hear it. I still couldn't hear the thing if I moved much more than five yards from my chair.

jollyboy

Reaction score
Snap, I cringe when loud phones go off every five minutes. Fortunately, no one ever rings mine!:eek:;):D Only last week I was on a busy day ticket stretch of the Swale. I could barely hear my radio over the, almost continuous, conversation between two blokes fifty yards downstream of me. I ended up having to turn it up a notch, louder than I'd like, just to hear it. I still couldn't hear the thing if I moved much more than five yards from my chair.

Twice now I have lost the plot over mobile phones although polite for me!!! why on earth people feel the need to talk down the things as if they are speaking to everyone on the river or lake is beyond me.........sent a text:D

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
So how many of you who replied have ever Carp Fished (it is on the Carp Board) for more than 48hours ?

Or fished a water of 110 Acre's with 20 to 30 Carp, not many I bet ?

Or Night fishing right through Hard Winters ?

Not moany of those either ?

The Question was put on the Carp Board for those of us who do go Serious Carp Fishing.

And once the traps are set, what do the Serious Carp Anglers do to while away the time ?

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
So how many of you who replied have ever Carp Fished (it is on the Carp Board) for more than 48hours ?

Yes, but not too often. Might have been more had I a willing fishing buddy.

Or fished a water of 110 Acre's with 20 to 30 Carp, not many I bet ?

Nah, too hard for my liking. A 30 acre pit with an average depth of about 15ft and less than 200 (small but gaining weight fast) carp is hard enough for me.

Or Night fishing right through Hard Winters ?

Not if I can help it, hate being cold.:eek:;)

The Question was put on the Carp Board for those of us who do go Serious Carp Fishing.

And once the traps are set, what do the Serious Carp Anglers do to while away the time ?

Read, listen to a bit of radio, tie rigs, try to spot fish and more recently, check my emails/browse the web.

Philip

Reaction score
I like the idea of relaxing with a book but in reality I find it very difficult to forget about the rods or the fishing. I am generally always doing something related to the fishing...tying rigs, sorting the tackle, watching the water and so on. Its probably a consequence of my pre Carping/buzzer days when you stared at the washing up licquid bottle top all day and night....you couldn't forget about it then.

If the swim allows for it I sometimes get out a float rod or whatever and do a bit of fishing with that. Surprising what you can catch on the "spare" rod sometimes !

cg74

Reaction score
1, So how many of you who replied have ever Carp Fished (it is on the Carp Board) for more than 48hours ?

2, Or fished a water of 110 Acre's with 20 to 30 Carp, not many I bet ?

3, Or Night fishing right through Hard Winters ?

4, Not moany of those either ?

5, And once the traps are set, what do the Serious Carp Anglers do to while away the time ?

Bob

1, A resounding yes and also for other species.

2, Does the Thames count, as the longest English river and with an indeterminate carp population, it can be tough if you stay away from the known areas.

3, Done a few, 4 or 5 years back I had a real carp head and everytime a warm (unsettled) westerly front moved in, despite meaning wet and often windy, I'd grab my rods and go. It was fairly productive but no chance of me doing again, looking back I must've been a bit mentally detached, though I did enjoy it.
These days winter means rivers!

4, Answered above.

5, Watch the water (like all the anglers here profess to do, yeah right), even when asleep I have one eye fixed on my rods and the water.

Last edited:

uscarper

Reaction score
i have fished multiple days for carp. i do night fish occasionaly for carp. not as much as i like, because of home and work commitments. in my last post i didnt say anything about if you use bite alarms, bivies, not sitting and watching your line as being the wrong way to carp fish. to be honest i dont give to s----s how anyone else does it. ive taken a radio before, but now i choose not to.no i havent fished for carp on cold winters nights. i have fished some tough carp waters with few fish.i answered the first post honestly and exactly how i do things, again never said that others ways are wrong or i do it proper and your ways not. but since i'm not a serious carp fisherman in certain peoples eyes, i dont think i'll be commenting on this persons posts anymore.

dezza

Reaction score
I have fished long sessions including nights since 1958, and not just for carp.

I have made use of all the modern devices to make long stay angling more comfortable. I have fished carp waters 60 miles long, averaging a mile in width, chock a block with too many carp.

I have spent many of the dark hours watching a barbie with a beer in my hand too. In fact I sent 3 weeks earlier this year doing just this.

And all of it was fun. And along the way I caught many carp, and loads of other species too.

Such are the delights of long stay angling.