Record carp -denied!

thecrow

Reaction score
the fish that ate all the doughnuts and didn't get enough exercise

Absolutely not, they are the pinnacle of a given species and as such the record fish list should be something that is properly kept including all fish that swim in our waters including all none indigenous species not just those that the BRFC decide should be included or not. Its because of this committee deciding what is/is not admissible that the list is in the mess its in.

laguna

Reaction score
Absolutely not, they are the pinnacle of a given species and as such the record fish list should be something that is properly kept including all fish that swim in our waters including all none indigenous species not just those that the BRFC decide should be included or not. Its because of this committee deciding what is/is not admissible that the list is in the mess its in.
Well said Graham!

steve2

Reaction score
I will never agree that that records like PB's are anything other than luck.
All they prove is that if you give a fish enough food they will get bigger.Therefore they serve no useful purpose other than to boost someone’s ego especially in this day and age with so many obese fish of some species around.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I will never agree that that records like PB's are anything other than luck.
All they prove is that if you give a fish enough food they will get bigger.Therefore they serve no useful purpose other than to boost someone’s ego especially in this day and age with so many obese fish of some species around.

They often may be little more than luck. Records should be about the fish, not the captor. Personally, I am interested in what the biggest of any species caught on rod and line is. I couldn't care less who caught it, with what gear, or on what bait. That's the biggest problem with the records, they've been corrupted by so much extraneous b/s and individual's egos.

thecrow

Reaction score
I will never agree that that records like PB's are anything other than luck

That's a bit derogatory to anglers that have spent lots of time and effort in the pursuit of a record fish, being big doesn't mean easy to catch anymore than feeding a fish lots of food would make it grow to record size, not all fish have the potential to grow to record size and lots of things have to combine in order to produce one.

It is possible when fish can be seen to be selective in which fish takes the bait, it takes time patience and not a little knowledge of the fish that are being watched.

Do you think that anglers that consistently catch big fish are just luckier than others? One big fish can be fluked by anyone, I have seen it happen but to consistently catch big fish (or win matches for that matter) takes a lot more than simple luck.

laguna

Reaction score
Captain Jack, (who the hell makes up these names?) has been banked at Holme Fen Fishery in Cambridgeshire at a weight of 68lb 5oz.

However, the captor, known only as Bill, does not wish to claim the record.

Considering the flack, I can't say I blame him/her to be honest.

puffer_

Reaction score
Captain Jack, (who the hell makes up these names?) has been banked at Holme Fen Fishery in Cambridgeshire at a weight of 68lb 5oz.

However, the captor, known only as Bill, does not wish to claim the record.

Considering the flack, I can't say I blame him/her to be honest.

Indeed, fair play to him.

steve2

Reaction score
Please tell me then of one record that as not been caught by just being in the right place at the right time.
Nobody fishes for records, there is no years of training needed they just turn up. That record or PB caught today could well be ounces or even pounds lighter when caught tomorrow.

thecrow

Reaction score
Barbel 21.01 Great Ouse

Perch 6.03 Wilstone Reservoir

Bream 22.11 Ferry Lagoon

All fish that were known about.

Who knows how many others were fish that were targeted because of their size? then there are river records, I know one that has never been claimed from a northern river.

Some records are the result of hard graft, skill, observation, time, and not a little expense on the part of the angler, to demean all of these captures by inference that its just luck insults the fish that hold these records and the work put in by the angler involved.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Every time we catch a fish there is an element of luck involved (however small or large that 'lucky' element may be depends on many things)

Having got to know a few 'specimen' anglers and big carp hunters I think it would be fair to say that these guys definitely shorten the odds somewhat simply by the huge amount of time and effort they put in, often before they even get to the bankside.

Sure, no one can be certain that their target fish will take their carefully prepared bait on their finely honed and well tuned rig, but if they keep doing the right things at the right times and their watercraft is top-class and their research sound, they will eventually succeed (probably).

If you want to call it luck then at least acknowledge that some guys seem to get lucky on a fairly regular basis. Personally I would then call it skill/talent/results. Not just luck.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just looked at the link and spotted the 108lb carp at the bottom of the page, don't think I've ever seen anything so grotesque.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Good luck to him with that Israeli strain, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I won't either, but it meets the new criteria that the BRFC miraculously conjured last time round. Unless they arbitrarily change their rules again, or find another technicality, then they may have to accept it.

Philip

Reaction score
I won't either, but it meets the new criteria that the BRFC miraculously conjured last time round. Unless they arbitrarily change their rules again, or find another technicality, then they may have to accept it.

First and foremost well done to the Captor ...I am sure imported or not it did'nt throw itself in his landing net and needed to be caught and I imagine he was not the only one after it either so well done him.

As for the record much as it does pain me in some ways I think its time for the BRFC to bite the bullet and just accept it. If it was caught by fair means and is proved to weigh what it weighs then its the record.

I don't see any middle ground here if the record list is to have any future.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Walker, Redmire, Ravioli. ?
Most definitely an determined assault on a record, particularly when London Zoo just happen to have a couple of stout yeoman chaps, a van, and a huge tank of water standing by - just in case someone phoned up and said 'Do you, by any chance, want a large carp for your aquarium?'............:wh

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
First and foremost well done to the Captor ...I am sure imported or not it did'nt throw itself in his landing net and needed to be caught and I imagine he was not the only one after it either so well done him.

As for the record much as it does pain me in some ways I think its time for the BRFC to bite the bullet and just accept it. If it was caught by fair means and is proved to weigh what it weighs then its the record.

I don't see any middle ground here if the record list is to have any future.
MAybe there needs to be another re working of the rules and one that says very plainly massively over fed lumps of LARD no matter WHAT size or weight they are NOT eligebile for the record along with fish that are of suspicous or known non British origin also do not qualify .

Sorry if this goes against the grain but it is time for king carp to become a minor member of the fish family .

PG ...

thecrow

Reaction score
MAybe there needs to be another re working of the rules and one that says very plainly massively over fed lumps of LARD no matter WHAT size or weight they are NOT eligebile for the record along with fish that are of suspicous or known non British origin also do not qualify .

Sorry if this goes against the grain but it is time for king carp to become a minor member of the fish family .

PG ...

Yeah a rule change that excludes any fish that may have got to the size it was caught at by feeding on baits introduced by carp anglers :rolleyes: