Record carp -denied!

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
A fiish that was imported at 39lb and then artificially grown on has no merit and as such should not be considered for a British record, however, that does not make it easy to catch or any less fun for those who have no problem with fishing for it; it is, ater all, only a fish.
Personally i would not fish for it!

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
the problem was that until now there have been no cultivated carp at record weights.. If one cultivated species does not qualify then it follows that no cultivated fish qualify. You lot are suffering from the English disease: The need to moan!

thecrow

Reaction score
Accepted as a record or not the fact remains that it's the largest rod caught carp in this country, the Brfc only has 2 freshwater members on it.

greenie62

Reaction score
So a few imported arapiema from the amazon might not go down to well ??.

If they feast on mink and otters - I think they might go down very well! - as long as they leave the fish alone! I wonder if they can be trained to go for canoes? :eek::eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Do they take a trotted bait :D
I,m up for one on the Trent if they do Graham :D

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

If they feast on mink and otters - I think they might go down very well! - as long as they leave the fish alone! I wonder if they can be trained to go for canoes? :eek::eek:mg:
If they can Steve would be on the phone in a flash putting in the order!:D

psmith

Reaction score
It is the record, official or not and therefore the one to beat.

steve2

Reaction score
At the end of the day what ever it is do record fish really matter. They are all caught by luck on the day.

bullet

Reaction score
Is the definition of cultivated , then, that the fishery owner feeds the fish in their lakes, rather than relying on angler's groundbait and natural food?
Or do these fisheries have stew ponds, like trout fisheries, where they feed them up and then lob them in to the angling lake at the desired size?

laguna

Reaction score
Is the definition of cultivated , then, that the fishery owner feeds the fish in their lakes, rather than relying on angler's groundbait and natural food?
Or do these fisheries have stew ponds, like trout fisheries, where they feed them up and then lob them in to the angling lake at the desired size?
I honestly don't know mate :confused: tis all very strange, none more so than those who decide these things!

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't think its just the carp record that has become irrelevant but the whole record fish list, one only has to look at the list to see what a mess has been made of it, Catfish? no thanks Zander? yes please, Grass Carp? yes please Sturgeon? no thanks, record Tench full of spawn yes please its just a mess species being allowed or disqualified according to the will of a few mates only one of which has any academic qualifications to do with freshwater fish.

Philip

Reaction score
I don't think its just the carp record that has become irrelevant but the whole record fish list

Exactly. Including the holy grail untouchables like Roach. Nothing to stop someone importing a Roach over the record and sticking it in a tiny puddle waiting its turn to be caught.

I do understand the reticence of some people towards imported fish or fish stocked close or over the record, it devalues the captures of some amazing home grown fish. Yes its sad but its here to stay so we have to get over it.

One thing I would say is that there is sometimes an automatic assumption an imported fish is easier to catch which simply isnt true. Its the venue that will dictate this. Stick an imported carp and a home grown Carp into Wraysbury and I would wager either will be equally hard to catch.

Of course some fish will by their nature be easier to catch than others..Perhaps they eat more, perhaps their eyesight is not so good, perhaps they are just a bit dim...loads of factors but they could all apply to both home grown or imported fish.

In my opinion the record list should now just be thrown open. To attempt to filter it on anything other than weight and capture by fair means is going to be impossible to govern. Just let the biggest caught be the biggest caught and thats it.

Chevin

Reaction score
This note will obviously be off topic, but I honestly wonder just how many record lists are really authentic. For example, the IGFA has world record lists for numerous classes and anyone submitting accepted claims are said to hold the world record for that fish/class. However, that person must be a member of the IGFA to have a record fish accepted. If someone obliterated the record the IGFA recognised, that person's claim would be rejected if he/she is not a member of the IGFA so in that case, the IGFA records are only club records.

puffer_

Reaction score
If it were my shout I would log the top 3 of every species, regardless of where they're caught, on a website which would give you the option to filter the results, i.e. whether the fish were caught on a commercial or natural water, then it would just be up to the individual (me and you) as to whether they class the catch as reasonable or not.

For example; if I only ever fished rivers for common carp then I would be looking to beat the record carp caught in 'natural' water, or not. Up to the individual of course.

If people were willing to be open about baits used and exact locations (extremely doubtful) then you could filter it down more, but we all know that'll never happen :D

Either way, unless I'm just missing something; the records should be put into a lovely new format on a nice website, god forbid maybe even a new app for your phone!

steve2

Reaction score
Why not scrap all the record fish lists and just get back to going fishing.
They are just a measure nothing at all apart from the fish that ate all the doughnuts and didn't get enough exercise.