Saw an amazing thing yesterday

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Following the successful merger of the "greatest" threads, in future all posts will be on this one thread. Anyone breaking the rules will be beheaded in a duel with the moderators until there is only one.
Get this out of the way first, :p :p :p :p :p :p to you then Mr Lout! :D

RIGHT - my topic.

My friend and I were fishing a nice little pond in the very deep south of Buckinghamshire, nice and quiet, just the two of us on it. Nice liitle jay popping around probably feeding its young and then ......

A splash, looked in the direction and see a crow, yep- a crow, flying off with a small fish in its beak.

A little while later, splash, and again, said crow was flying away with another fish. It then started sitting on the edges of the swims watching the water when all of a sudden, it took off, hit the water and came off it with another small fish in its beak.

Five times in all we saw this. Never before have I seen a crow do it. Had it been taking lessons from a passing cormorant or was it trying to acquire
some protection status by pretending to be an osprey?

However, no protection for crows so get the guns out lads.....

flightliner

Reaction score
Just goes to show that you never can tell what will happen next in the animal world-- re the crow-- I once saw one empty a nest of waterhan chicks one by one when on the "old river" trent (thats the section that is un-navigable and runs around Newark).
I,ve also seen them wait in a tree until a pheasant leaves her eggs in the morning to go for a s--t, as soon as its clear they hop down and steal an egg or two.
Eyes at the back of their heads and very very difficult to shoot.
I live right beside a rookery and watch them regularly, amazingly social birds that will take off anytime at night to forage for food, just got used to the racket after twenty five years!.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I was walking the dog down the canal the other day and saw a pike about 8lb on the surface with a jack pike over a foot long in its mouth.
It was holding it by the head and stayed on the surface for around 30 seconds waiting for the jack to stop threshing.

Before I started fishing I wouldn't even have noticed

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Spec Savers.....:D

I bet it was one of them flying UFO's, undercover flying osprey...............:)

Nature has a way.

Now last night when in the back garden a pair of blackbirds started to build a nest in the garden, bit late if you ask me, tonight she is sitting on the nest.

Plus after having No Hedgehogs for 2 years, they are back nesting up in the same place as always, good to see.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I noticed a huge hole had been dug next to the new fence and straight away suspected the dog seeing as it looked dog sized to me, albeit he's not normally a digger.

This morning the wife says, perhaps it's a hedgehog!

One called Hogzilla, no doubt. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Saw an amazing thing etc :...................

This morning on our front lawn, a Rat and an Hedgehog fighting, they were at it hammer and tong, I watched them for a good half-hour before the Hedgehog won on points !!!.

little oik

Reaction score
" I saw an amazing thing this morning ". I looked out of the window and saw what I can only explain as a multicoloured furball rolling about the drive .After staring at it for a period of time in became apparent that it was a Stoat and a Rat .I think they got fed up with the audience so moved into the hedge after about 5 mins .I have a feeling that the Stoat came off the better though !

beerweasel

Reaction score
Awesome !, I would loved to have seen that,Stoats are well hard. Although any member of the Mustelid family is. Terry nutkins lost two fingers to an Otter, I'm surprised an Otter can take two.

little oik

Reaction score
I didnt want to go to get my camera in case I missed something ,the thing that amazed me was they weren't squaring off to each other .The only way I can describe it was that it was like a snake wrapping itself around its prey .It was a full on roll around not stopping at any point and going off in all different directions .I take it the Stoat has come up against these before and wasnt giving the Rat a chance to use its teeth.
Why is it that the majority of the time you see something amazing,its either a case of "I wished I had taken a picture "or "Where did I put the camera"

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Why is it that the majority of the time you see something amazing,its either a case of "I wished I had taken a picture "or "Where did I put the camera"
Murphy's laws!

EG:

• If anything can go wrong, it will.
  • Whenever you set out to do something, some¬thing else must be done first.
  • Nothing is as easy as it first looks.
  • If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong then a fifth one will promptly develop.
  • Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
  • Accepting the best possible advice could well be the worst decision of your life.
  • If there is the possibility of one of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one.
  • An important phone call will only ring once you are in the bath.
  • It always costs more than first estimated.
  • If you try to please everybody, somebody will be disappointed.
  • Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
  • Everyone will say that your new business idea has a solid gold future until you ask them to back you.
  • It is far easier to get involved in something than to get out of it.
  • Every solution breeds new problems.
  • If you get something right, don't worry. Things will soon get back to normal
  • Your best chance of succeeding is by never attempting to try.
  • It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious.
  • A failsafe circuit will destroy all of the others.
  • If you tinker with something long enough, it will break.
  • By making things absolutely clear, people will become more confused.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I've seen a crow fishing before and I once had a bucket of tadpoles out the back, which was later descimated by a magpie, which had no problem dunking it's head clear underwater.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Just goes to show that you never can tell what will happen next in the animal world-- re the crow-- I once saw one empty a nest of waterhan chicks one by one when on the "old river" trent (thats the section that is un-navigable and runs around Newark).
I,ve also seen them wait in a tree until a pheasant leaves her eggs in the morning to go for a s--t, as soon as its clear they hop down and steal an egg or two.
Eyes at the back of their heads and very very difficult to shoot.
I live right beside a rookery and watch them regularly, amazingly social birds that will take off anytime at night to forage for food, just got used to the racket after twenty five years!.

you live next to a rookery then I'm guess you're seening rooks:eek:mg:

Taxi for his lordship

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Amazing creatures are crows.

Happy to live in groups or on their own. Very good on the wing. Can eat almost anything. Live for years.

I remember a raven which lived in a wood at the side of a lake I fished. It would cackle and talk in a tone like something out of Evil Dead. It was that old, some of it's feathers had turned white.

thisisben

Reaction score
i saw a pair of crows doing the same thing at a little lake i fish i just assumed they were taking spawning casualties as the roach and ide were in a frenzy in the margins