Saw an amazing thing yesterday

no-one in particular

Reaction score
crows are intelligent

Crows are one of the most intelligent birds about. Once saw a program where they had learned to read traffic lights. They would wait for the red and lay a nut under a cars wheels so it would crush the nut and wait for red again to collect. something like that anyway. Magpies (crow family) have learned to dip bread stale bread in the bird bath where I live to soften it. They are the only bird I have seen do this. I suspect the crow has learned to exploit a new food source where you saw this. It could catch on as they pass this behavior onto their offspring and other crows. Hope not.

dezza

Reaction score
Re: crows are intelligent

Plain white bread is not good for birds.

Some of the most intelligent birds around are the rainbow lorikeets, a type of small parrot which are very common in New South Wales. They are the colour of the South African flag.

They refuse to eat bread yet go barmy when you give them an apple or other similar fruit. I had them eating bits of apple out of my hand, perched on my wrist. You wouldn't get a British bird to do this.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

Some of the most intelligent birds around are the rainbow lorikeets, a type of small parrot which are very common in New South Wales. They are the colour of the South African flag.

They refuse to eat bread yet go barmy when you give them an apple or other similar fruit. I had them eating bits of apple out of my hand, perched on my wrist. You wouldn't get a British bird to do this.

I have seen these kind of birds, always walking into the gym's eating fruit..:)

But yes Ron your right, my son has pictures of him sitting in the garden hand feeding them, the parrot is about the size of a starling.

Reaction score

Ooh and then there are the ducks that visit my garden regularly.

The other day my daughter was hand feeding 5 males a female and a chick. The bolder ones were at our front door eating out of her hand.

Th more hen is a bit more stand off ish

little oik

Reaction score
Pigeons seem to have sussed out the underground system and use trains quite regularly to get about (poss learning from other fare dodgers)

laguna

Reaction score

Beautiful lorikeets but by hell they do make a racket when settling down to roost at dusk. I like the fruit bats too... scared the hell out of my missus though :D

White bread is the cause of pigeon's being born without feet... apparently!

Yes I said without feet straight up! :eek:

5520928047_aa295d3c30.jpg

delphi 73

Reaction score

Beautiful lorikeets but by hell they do make a racket when settling down to roost at dusk. I like the fruit bats too... scared the hell out of my missus though :D

White bread is the cause of pigeon's being born without feet... apparently!

Yes I said without feet straight up! :eek:

5520928047_aa295d3c30.jpg

The main cause of the pigeons feet is because they are standing in their own faeces and get infected so drop off - they are not born like that! Apparently!

A

alan whittington

A couple of days ago, I noticed a huge hole had been dug next to the new fence and straight away suspected the dog seeing as it looked dog sized to me, albeit he's not normally a digger.

This morning the wife says, perhaps it's a hedgehog!

One called Hogzilla, no doubt. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Its a fox Jeff,my mum had the same thing,last week she woke early to see the b ugger in the garden,in these days of urban foxes its a common occurance.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
It is indeed a disease that costs the pigeon its feet..it's on the increase too.

I sat and fished the other day and threw a couple of bits of sweetcorn to a duck and her 6 ducklings. Every hour or so she came back with them and quacked at me in a very determined way until I threw them some more, then off she went with them back on the water.

Yesterday I watched a magpie walk under a car boot outside the tackle shop. Under the car was a large green bait bucket. The bird was just able to hop up onto the bucket rim and then jump in to feed. I guess it's seen a lot of bait buckets before. It makes a change from them stealing ducklings!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Yesterday I watched a magpie walk under a car boot outside the tackle shop. Under the car was a large green bait bucket. The bird was just able to hop up onto the bucket rim and then jump in to feed. I guess it's seen a lot of bait buckets before. It makes a change from them stealing ducklings!

I saw a Blackbird stealing yesterday. She had two store detectives from Curry's chasing her down the road.

On a more serious note if you look on u tube there are clips of stoats chasing down rabbits and catching them. I found this amazing as I thought they caught them solely underground.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
there are a pair of peregrine falcons hunting from the Bell Tower of the Town Hall in Walsall, stunning to see them drop out of the sky and take a pigeon.
They make a right racket first thing in the morning as well - their call reminds me of the noise they used to use for pterodactyls in all those lost world type films , where they used to strap fins and horns to a baby alligator and an iguana and make them fight it out for the camera.

Wouldn't be allowed these days of course "baby alligator in strap on slo mo wrestling shame".