Cheap small baitrunner

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I occasionally feel I need a small light baitrunner the reasons are

I have some Shimano 5000 GTE C baitrunners but they are sometimes that little bit heavy for my compact all-rounder, a bit out of balance, I am not lazy but sometimes we can sometimes drift off, light a cigarette....I know it is bad for my health.

When I take my son, occasionally I need to grab his attention or just grab him from doing something daft, so again the baitfeeder system does come in handy

Something light and will cover most aspects of fishing like the all-rounder for when occasionally I go camping/on holiday.

So why cheap, you may have noticed the word occasionally, so I really can't justify £45 on a baby Shimano ST 2500/4000 FA....I should have shares in Shimano 8 reels.

I was looking at half the price so I am looking at the following

Okuma size 30

Silvara pro £20
Opti drag £18
Enduro £20
Proforce £25

I can't think of a reliable brand in this price bracket but I am open to any suggestions from users of the above or users of other brands.

Hardly a big mistake to make at the price but hard to earn easy to spend and you all know your stuff .

Cheers in advance

Adam

BarryC

Reaction score
I use a pair of 30 size opti drags.
They seem pretty tough but could be a little smoother but can't expect miracles for £15 with one BB.
Okuma seem to have done loads of smallish baitrunners. I would (in fact I am) look out for either the epix, interceptor or undertaker in the smaller sizes secondhand.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I think your be better off paying more, buy cheap and you may well be buying twice, then you will be paying more than you would have had you paid more in the first place.

Just a thought.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I use a pair of 30 size opti drags.
They seem pretty tough but could be a little smoother but can't expect miracles for £15 with one BB.
Okuma seem to have done loads of smallish baitrunners. I would (in fact I am) look out for either the epix, interceptor or undertaker in the smaller sizes secondhand.

Cheers Barry....I looked at them all, the old epix if you can get it and in the size new ar around £50...second hand you are at the hands of the ebay mad bidders.

The inteceptor pro's my brother has and proved reliable not that they bring in much fish...sorry bro.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm a big fan of Okumas reels. I have an original Epix 30 baitrunner and its been a magnificent reel....one of the best I ever bought and still going strong. I also have 2 x Epix Pro 40's which are even better and all single handles too....I just dont like double handled reels.

Nothing wrong with Okuma's at all.Highly recommended but personally I'd go for top of the range,second hand if necessary.They do turn up because that's how I got my Epix Pro's.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I think your be better off paying more, buy cheap and you may well be buying twice, then you will be paying more than you would have had you paid more in the first place.

Just a thought.

My philosophy Ray......just trying to break away from spending the usual, the trouble is I start looking at £45 - 50 and end up buying the next range up and then it goes on.

So starting low and trying to get a good little reel for little money and look at the short term costs rather than long term investment.

In the past it was very true but is it the case now for "cheaper" tackle?

There are hardly any stockists in the area or they very little regarding the Okuma brand so any other feedback would be great ....if not it will be a shimano and another moan from the wife.......and I told you so from Ray ha ha

BarryC

Reaction score
Yes I know what you mean about the epix pro. Seems to be very well sought after.
I went to £80 for a pair of 30 size a while back and never got them.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
The little Shimano's are very nice reels too and to be honest not badly priced.I can only speak from my experience of Okuma and I've found them superb BUT I have never tried one of the really cheap ones.

A lot of people rate the Okuma Interceptor. Not as good as the Epix IMO but not a bad reel....apart from the double handle which is why I never use mine now.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Yes I know what you mean about the epix pro. Seems to be very well sought after.
I went to £80 for a pair of 30 size a while back and never got them.

Not surprised. That size doesn't come up very often....and IMO that's because they are such good reels people hang on to them.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Cheers for the link Ray.

So looking at it I would need to look at the inteceptor pro new around £35 + P&P and the epix pro that is rarely available second hand at £35 -£40 + P&P so I would need to have a budget of say £40 -£45 inc of P&P for a good small Okuma or a new Shimano.

guest61

Reaction score
I have a couple of Okuma Epix Pro 30's - I've had problems with the bail arm coming across consistently, I use them when ledgering so this isn't a huge issue.

I rarely use the Baitrunnner facility.

I wouldn't recommend them due to the above issue.

Mark

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I have a couple of Okuma Epix Pro 30's - I've had problems with the bail arm coming across consistently, I use them when ledgering so this isn't a huge issue.

I rarely use the Baitrunnner facility.

I wouldn't recommend them due to the above issue.

Mark

thanks for the info Mark, I have just had alook around on a couple of other forums and found on the old epix range that the baitfeeder/baitrunner can fail without notice too, anyone else come across that problem? sounds like an expensive problem if you rely on the baitfeeder function.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I've never had any trouble at all with any of mine but I rarely use the b/r. That said my reels dont get hammered week in week out but they have had a lot of use over the years. All I can say is that mine have been great & owe me nothing.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I supose it depends on it's usage and the user.

still looking at the okumas

however is the Shimano st 4000 fa much of a weight and size difference to the smallest baitrunner I have 5000 GTE?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Had an "Opti-Drag" for Christmas and has been used by myself and SWMBO with virtually no problems at all. There has been the occasional tangle where the line has caught around the reverse lever (if that's what it's called, forgive my ignorance). Mine was bought from Go Outdoors who have stores nationwide but checking Okuma's current catalogue it is no longer shown, (anyone know why? seems a good reel at a bargain price £20-£25)

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Had an "Opti-Drag" for Christmas and has been used by myself and SWMBO with virtually no problems at all. There has been the occasional tangle where the line has caught around the reverse lever (if that's what it's called, forgive my ignorance). Mine was bought from Go Outdoors who have stores nationwide but checking Okuma's current catalogue it is no longer shown, (anyone know why? seems a good reel at a bargain price £20-£25)

I think it has been discontinued this month, what I can see

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

I dont know the 5000 gte but these "baby baitrunners" are quite compact. I dont like big heavy reels for anything and size/weight wise these [to me] are spot on. I've had a look and they are very nice reels.

cheers, looking further into the Shimano side of things the 4000 is about 150g lighter, so about 30% lighter

guest61

Reaction score
I know that there are situations where a baitrunner facility is useful and some would say essential.

But from my own experience this boils down to fishing for Barbel in a heavy river where under the strength of flow the reel back winds and putting the anti-lock on the reel may threaten the rod being pulled in. I generally use a 5000 size reel in this case anyhow. (on another thread I'm looking at using a Centerpin in the coming season)

So the idea of a small baitrunner for me is negated by the situations in which I fish.

My club rule book states that 'members must be in a position to take immediate control of their rods'. I'm not sure how this sits with sleepy Carp anglers but its a rule.

Mark