Cheap small baitrunner

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I know that there are situations where a baitrunner facility is useful and some would say essential.

But from my own experience this boils down to fishing for Barbel in a heavy river where under the strength of flow the reel back winds and putting the anti-lock on the reel may threaten the rod being pulled in. I generally use a 5000 size reel in this case anyhow. (on another thread I'm looking at using a Centerpin in the coming season)

So the idea of a small baitrunner for me is negated by the situations in which I fish.

My club rule book states that 'members must be in a position to take immediate control of their rods'. I'm not sure how this sits with sleepy Carp anglers but its a rule.

Mark

I tend to use the baitrunner for Barbel and carp only, it was more of a safe guard when I take my son fishing and I have to prevent something that most 7 year old boys do...add what you want to that and have small reel that cover a number of disciplines in 1....an occasional reel.

Interesting rule and something I agree with, is there night fishing allowed at your club waters?

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

'Ave it !:D

If you want to try an Okuma I have an original Interceptor somewhere which you are more than welcome to field test. Double handle though ! :eek:mg:

PM me if you're interested.

That's very kind of you, if I cannot make my mind up I will give you a pm and give it a whirl.

Cheers

guest61

Reaction score
Interesting rule and something I agree with, is there night fishing allowed at your club waters?

Yes, night fishing is allowed and in my opinion there is a contradiction between this and the rule book.

Incidentally, I understand your baitrunner 'needs' - I was just putting forward my own experiences.

Mark

Mark

BarryC

Reaction score
I do'nt fish for Barbel (no rivers down here) and only occasionally for carp. I do fish many lakes that contain carp so use the baitrunner whenever there is a chance of being 'mugged' by one.

guest61

Reaction score
I do'nt fish for Barbel (no rivers down here) and only occasionally for carp. I do fish many lakes that contain carp so use the baitrunner whenever there is a chance of being 'mugged' by one.

In what context do you mean 'mugged'? I'm not familiar with that one.

Don't get me wrong - Baitrunners have there uses, and I understand why they're popular. I'm merely pointing out that the only time that I specifically fish with one is for Barbel in the situation outlined in my post.

I've found that on still waters they're not needed - my fixed spool reels back wind freely, and my centre pin lets me know. I'm sat within arms reach of the rod(s). If I can't reach my rods (e.g. while having a 'natural break') then they're not in the water.

Mark

BarryC

Reaction score
Mugged, to be beaten up and robbed.
I am well aware that on lakes containing big carp the speed of a take can remove your tackle very quickly.(ouch)
Being merely human and therefore less than perfect I am well aware that I will not maintain perfect concentration during a long day session after getting up at 4am.
The baitrunner merely safeguards my tackle and the fish in the event of a savage take.

guest61

Reaction score
Being merely human and therefore less than perfect I am well aware that I will not maintain perfect concentration during a long day session after getting up at 4am.
The baitrunner merely safeguards my tackle and the fish in the event of a savage take.

I love Sarcasm - Thanks very much.

Mark

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
otherwise I might look at a fightin drag, as most of the time I will have the rod at in my had or next to me, I guess I can use the fightin drag as a bairunner, if I set the drag low

waggy

Reaction score
Mugged, to be beaten up and robbed.
I am well aware that on lakes containing big carp the speed of a take can remove your tackle very quickly.(ouch)
My low-tech solution for tight arses is 1 1/2 yards of braid lashed to the reel handle and tethered to my rod rest. It works.