Changing your reel line

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I assume I'm doing it the same as everybody else, but is there a better way of removing old line from the reel than just pulling it off the spool and into a bird nest on the floor?

robthomo

Reaction score
A cordless drill with an old sea fishing float stuck in the chuck, obviously you could knock up something a bit more advanced than the float if you could be bothered but I can't!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good suggestion.
Bearing in mind I haven't changed my line for some time, you can guess that anything more inventive than an old float is unlikely.

Thanks Rob

I may be gone a while, well after I've found the drill and the chrger and re-charged!!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fortunately, my DIY skills wouldn't dare run to a blowtorch ownership Matt.

Now one of those weed burner torches I do have, second thoughts thankfully they are mostly plastic spools.

Reaction score
Fred

Get a rubber glove (a small yellow Marrigold works best) and blow it up. Tie it to the end of a 3ft bank stick. Place the spool of line on the floor and shout at it while tickling it with the rubber glove. That might work.

robthomo

Reaction score
there's a purpose built gizmo I think

Yes at least one, ACE do a de-spooler, basically a spool on a spindle/axle type thingy with a slit in the spool so that you can cut the line off when you've finished.

Then there's the Berkely line stripper which is a powered gadget that pulls the line off and I suppose you stick a carrier bag or similiar in position to catch it

beerweasel

Reaction score
Tie your line to the waist of a Whirling Dervish, your spool will soon be unloaded. :w

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now the Cambridgeshire flatlands may be full of them for labouring, but up here, not a common site.
In fact they are as common as the blow torches in my house.

Just trying work out what to shout a the rubber glove at the minute!:eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm quite happy using your method Fred - never bothered with the line stripping devices.
Jerry

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it was just it I'm sure I could handle "pulling it off" Spiders.
BUT, it's all of my reels and their extra spools that need doing, you know those you have just in case, as well as those in use!

Simon K

Reaction score
Put the spool on the floor between your feet, hold the end of the line in one hand while pulling it off the reel with the other, using your elbow* and the thumb/index finger as a winder. You get a nicely coiled de-spooled line which you then cut through twice to reduce the menace to wildlife at the landfill. :)

No gadgets and good exercise. ;)

* Use another part of your anatomy at your peril. The operation is extremely unpleasant. :wh

robthomo

Reaction score
Winding it off by hand is ok if you don't have much to remove, when you've got 3 big pits with two or three hundred yards on each its a pain in the arris. But your right to mention how to dispose of it, I burn it as I'm a pyromaniac :D

terry m

Reaction score
If there is not an effective gizmo, then that is a gap in the market! Tis a real pain in the backside respooling multiple reels at this time of year.

The suggestion of burning off with a blowtorch may have been tongue in cheek, but if anyone is tempted, then make sure yopu do it in a well ventilated area as the resulting fumes will contain toxins.

dangermouse

Reaction score
If there is not an effective gizmo, then that is a gap in the market!

hamster-to-generate-energy-for-mobilephone-450x281.jpg

Simples :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you have a spare spool for your reel, simply wind it onto that, the line that has never seen the light of day is instantly at the top of the spool and the shagged out line acts as backing...
How many fish rip off more than 50 metres of line Fred?
With 100m on a spool it's double bubble...

Last edited: