Them small shots

denzinho

Reaction score
How do you put small shots on your line?

I give up when I use anything lower than a 4. 8's are ridiculous :(

Reaction score
Hold shot against the end of your forefinger with the line held tightly across it in the groove. Bite with teeth.

That's how I do it anyway.

And it's 'those' :)

lureed

Reaction score
I don't like biting them either - lost too many teeth already. The solution I found was my long-handled forceps. If you use the very tip of the jaws and apply the minimum of pressure it doesn't damage the line. The only problem I have is getting the shot off again!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The match lads do them at home with special tweezers for the job then put the rig on a winder ready to go. I never really worked out how they move them so quickly when on the bank without damaging the line though.
Practice I suppose and watching the best. I sat behind Dave Harrell once in Shrewsbury while he was fishing a match, I learned more about feeding a swim in that couple of hours than I learned before or since.
Beg steal or borrow some of the old school dvds and learn from the masters, many of them are on youtube now but steer clear of the 'Me and my mate baggin up' ones, they are nearly always rubbish.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
denzinho..............That's all very well, but what you fail to realise, is that Sam can see a grayling at 100 metres - without polaroids !!

Some of us have it, others, well, they just don't....

IF I know I will be fishing a certain swim in a certain fashion and my home tied hook length is ( more or less ) a 'given' then I may well place my No8 or 6 bottom shot(s) on this length before I leave home ( or the night before). This helps tremendously if fishing early mornings or in bad light and saves an absolute age of fuffing around on the bank.
Obviously it doesn't work if fishing ' straight through ' !!

I don't say it's ideal, but it does mean you will be fishing quicker and I think that is more important !!

Works for me .......................

john step

Reaction score
Stotz and more Stotz. I use Daiwa shot pliers to pick them from my palm split down then lay the line in the split and gently squeeze. Done.
They don't ping off under tension like shot and can be moved.
If you want a 6 just put to 8's together. Matrix do a similar thing but a lot cheaper.
Best things since sliced bread.

john step

Reaction score
Laguna, I had a couple of these that didn't last until the shot were all used.
They were about £9 if memory serves. I find the purpose built forceps with stotz so quick even with my clumsy fingers.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Stotz and some Styl Pliers, my eyesight isn't great but using these I can easily apply the smaller stotz and they don't ping off like shot do IMO of course.

Anything from a size 8 and smaller I only use Stotz, I can't use shot in the smaller sizes, my eyesight is **** and my Fingers are like Sausages.

laguna

Reaction score
Laguna, I had a couple of these that didn't last until the shot were all used.
They were about £9 if memory serves. I find the purpose built forceps with stotz so quick even with my clumsy fingers.
Thought they looked pretty good to be fair but nine quids a lot of money to a Yorkshire man John even for refillable dispensers! Do you have a link for the Daiwa pliers? I might need something to aid putting shot on one day soon (eyes failing now)...

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Anchor Quickshot have an applicator as part of the packaging. The little red peg is the tool, and it works.

denzinho

Reaction score
IF I know I will be fishing a certain swim in a certain fashion and my home tied hook length is ( more or less ) a 'given' then I may well place my No8 or 6 bottom shot(s) on this length before I leave home ( or the night before). This helps tremendously if fishing early mornings or in bad light and saves an absolute age of fuffing around on the bank.
Obviously it doesn't work if fishing ' straight through ' !!

I don't say it's ideal, but it does mean you will be fishing quicker and I think that is more important !!

Works for me .......................

I agree, I usually do rig up the night before a session especially if it's going to be a 3 hour or less session. For some reason I have over looked micro shotting at home.....I will remember that tip :D

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Personally I use forceps , as someone else has mentioned , even with glasses I can get down to very small stotz or shot plus I have the forceps in my bag anyway.

nicepix

Reaction score
I can't see the bl00dy things let alone put them on :D

Edit ; Just spotted Laguna's post. It wouldn't load before. I'll have to look into that gadget.

silvers

Reaction score
Hold shot against the end of your forefinger with the line held tightly across it in the groove. Bite with teeth.

that's how I stil do it as well.

I haven't resorted to an applicator yet although it's only a matter of time as my short distance vision is deteriorating.

It's a lot easier to put tiny shot on very thin line as well. eg. no 12 on 0.07

I very rarely use lower than a no. 10 shot now anyway.

addendum - have just looked up the anchor quickshot system as recommended above - will have to give that a go.

Last edited: