Pva

mikench

Reaction score
Never having used this I quite fancy the idea of a little bag of bait attached to the hook on a hair rig! So what starter pack/ make or supplier would you experienced guys recommend? The simpler the better!

carpinbob

Reaction score
I use NGT narrow mesh pva .

So far had no trouble with it at all.

john step

Reaction score
If you use boilies, don't ignore PVA string to put a group of boilies or drilled pellets around your hookbait boilie. It doesn't seem to be as much in fashion lately but it still works.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
A member from another forum showed me his approach with PVA mesh for barbel. Having never used PVA before, I was totally blown away by the results. After that, I pretty much used PVA for all the bait fishing. Never felt confident without it! Definitely worth a go. Sorry, can't remember the brand used.

mikench

Reaction score
I have ordered some NGT 25 mm mesh and some small bags and will give it a go next week once the wife's car is back!!!

robtherake

Reaction score
I have ordered some NGT 25 mm mesh and some small bags and will give it a go next week once the wife's car is back!!!

I like these leads, which work both for solid bags and mesh. https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/CarpFishingLeadsBackLeads/Anchor-BDS-Swivel-Leads.htm

They have a groove which runs around the circumference of the lead and a flexible O-ring sits neatly in the groove, trapping the open end of the bag in place. It's imperative to dry the lead and remove the PVA snot from the O-ring between casts, but overall it's a quick and painless operation. :)

mikench

Reaction score
They look interesting and as per usual I will probably now have to buy some! Please keep your recommendations to yourself !:wh

I do not need to cast very far on most of the lakes( ponds) I fish so the lighter the better. I will get a few 1.5 oz and give them a try.

One of my clubs waters is big so I can practice all my techniques, and I use the term very loosely , to my hearts content and I plan to try it soon. It is 53 acres.

I will try out my new rod and a carp rod which remains unused

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

Bought some 1.1 oz specimens . There are so many new bits and pieces to try next time out I am almost overcome with excitement!!!:)

At my time of life this is all almost as enjoyable as ........ Er whatever floats your boat!:wh

mikench

Reaction score
I will try. I'll bet you anything that my first attempts will be in the rain and I will just have a soggy mess!

mikench

Reaction score
Do the pellets/groundbait you use have to be dry! What happens if they are damp?

Does the bait, the weight and a short hooklength all go into the PVA bag/mesh or is the hooklength with bait atteched kept seperate?

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
When I do use PVA it's generally small clumps of dry pellet, sometimes with a little dry groundbait or crushed boilies. If you want to try particles like corn, salt added to them helps slow the melting process before you cast 'em.
As for bags they work best for me fishing weedy areas, getting loosefeed and hook into a nice little patch in amongst the tangly bits. Well worth getting some pva string and tape to help with sealing these. At least if you are bit clumsy like myself. Bags cast well too when you get the corners rounded off and streamlined.