How did you get on?

soft plastic

Reaction score
Having missed the opportunity of fishing the last four warm days I simply had to get out this morning. A cold NE wind blowing and the canal gin clear, things didn't look promising. 13ft light float rod, a Billy Makin loaded canal blue waggler to a 22 B511 hook to 0:07.

No groundbait, no hemp, no nothing, just double squatt at dead depth whilst liberally pinging in a pinch of squatts every so often. I honestly expected to blank but after an hour my float buried and a small dace saved my bacon.
Neil1970 turned up and as we chatted I had another bite.
Another small dace.

I fished on for a bit and it started to rain so I called it a day...
Glad I went though...
Nothing big or in any numbers and very testing conditions but you still had a good time. That's the beauty of canals. Sometimes every fish is hard earned but that's what makes fishing them so rewarding. I love canal fishing.

flightliner

Reaction score
Sounds like a good day Mick, here's your carp...

I reckon you borrowed the scissors off Izaak Walton himself :D

All stocked up with fresh cherry pies here and ready for the off tomorrow :)

Steve, re the scissors, yes, dead right, he borrowed my best plaited horsehair line and never returned it :D
Enjoy the pie--- dont forget the rennies!:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I haven't seen a pair of scissors like that for sixty years at least ! I think my mum had a pair in her mending basket ( another item from the past ) with a very loose central pin.
From memory they seemed to be missing most of the plating as well and had trouble cutting through paper, let alone cotton....

I suppose they might work on 10 lb line though....

flightliner

Reaction score
I haven't seen a pair of scissors like that for sixty years at least ! I think my mum had a pair in her mending basket ( another item from the past ) with a very loose central pin.
From memory they seemed to be missing most of the plating as well and had trouble cutting through paper, let alone cotton....

I suppose they might work on 10 lb line though....
Tee cee lol, they're Earnest Wright hand made scissors, you cant buy any better.
I wish I could do a link to his website or u tube clip , but have a look, we bought a large pair for our daughter not long ago as a reminder of her Sheffield heritage while she lives in italy.
I know mine look pretty poor but its superficial , well, most of it, like as not salt from the mussls I've been using of late.
Cutlery figures large here also as I suppose you well know, not as large as in earlier years but it does exist nontheless.
one manufacturer had a request recantly from someone asking for a "cherry pie cutter" but tho they had plenty in stock it had to be specially made as those in store wer'nt big enough!.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I have said previously that I love fishing canals...Here's why. This Thursday, when everything came together.
6fb750bcadcdfac64b35bf68b17c0705.jpg

Not a very good picture but 20lb+ of silvers. Not another angler in sight all day, bliss.

john step

Reaction score
What a day yesterday. Tackled up in sunshine. Then came the hail and sleet. Then sun then rain and so on. One minute shivering the next cooking in bib and brace.

Ended with about 50 silvers in various sizes from silly small to netable. Enjoyed it nevertheless.

rubio

Reaction score
Got in another short go yesterday evening. Sheltered spot out of the wind and in the sunshine was a lovely way to end the day. Catchwise it was pretty ordinary only netting 2 fish from a string of perch, roach and rudd. Carp are getting ever more busy nosing in and around weedbeds. Perch now sleek and hungry, so probably done with spawning. One or two of the roach were rough skinned with tubercules beginning to form so they're getting it on too.

B

binka

A double session for me this weekend with today’s being a carbon copy of last week’s report on the same ancient lake and for pretty much the same reason, using up leftover bait.

Needless to say I fished it exactly the same with the chopped worm and dibber tight to the margins and enjoyed some great sport with chunky crucians and tench of generally a much better stamp than last week.

I say generally as there were one or two exceptions, just to keep the pressure up on Jerry in our smallest tinca competition…

:)

Luckily his dad wasn’t far away along with a fair few of his mates…

Quite a mixed day again with the weather and it did feel cold but the dull sky occasionally broke into sunshine to put that warm golden glow on the crucians…

Fish of the weekend had, without doubt, a connection to that constant northerly that was blowing and at times was…

Proper ruffe!

Taxi!

:w

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Thank you, My Lord......:)

I think our senses of humour are fairly similar and missing an open goal like that? Not the done thing, old boy, is it?? :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Oh, I see Steve, weekend mini tincas count as well now........................;)

Away next week so no fishing, but after that it's all guns blazing for a mini-mini weekday midday fish..................:)

qtaran111

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting much today what with the temperature drop over the weekend and with the wind gusting. Still, I couldn't go fishing last weekend so absolutely had to this weekend :)

It turned out much better than expected and the fishes seemed to be playing along. I started out with red maggot over black groundbait and hemp which got the roach going, then switched to worm and sweetcorn to pick out some bigger fish. I ended up with a nice mixed bag of a few small carp, some decent perch to about 1lb, good roach (not huge but all in good nick), bream to about 2lb and two small surprises ;)

I'm not that keen on carp fishing per se, but there is something pleasing about landing one on a light float rod, especially when you're playing the fish after everyone has gone home with the late sun shining off the surface.

IMG_6229-L.jpg

One of the better roach

IMG_6232-L.jpg

A tiny knock and slide of the float produced this nice perch

IMG_6236-L.jpg

This one put a nice bend in the rod before I headed off to catch the train

IMG_6234-M.jpg
IMG_6223-M.jpg

Plus a guest appearance from two tiny tincas

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well yet another visit to the pool .

got there around 11:00 fishing by 11:30 slightly different peg to my normal favorite but fishing just as good , first cast into small roach with varying sizes of roach perch a Carplet then more like it Bream around 2 lbs followed by more similar .

Then the float takes off like a moon rocket with one very angry 4.5lb tench connected using 4 lb main 3.6 hook lenght to a 16 hook with 3 white maggots dipped in the juice form Gel baits imitation salmon eggs he wanted that .

Also had a visitation from a few nice Crucians nothing big but nice all the same .

Even one of the Chubb put in a show one thing that was noted by it failure to show was any of the Carp not one not even splashing around or crusing the margins .

PG ...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
All morning I sat staring at the reflection of ' The Day after Tomorrow ' skies in the flat calm water, expecting a soaking at any moment. Fortunately, apart from the occasional, sudden, minimal shower I stayed dry and the brolly in it's bag for the whole of the 7 hour session...
The array of colours in the sky was truly amazing at times, ranging from various shades of angry grey and blue to a sort of orange / mauve and this dispersed with short spells of bright sunshine. When a really black cloud came over it felt more like 9pm than am - and in October rather than late April !!

As far a the fish were concerned I think they were also in a ' day after tomorrow ' frame on mind because they only fed in very short spells - one or two fish, followed by long spells of staring at the water, and when they did come they were of decidedly average size...

Red maggot caught most, with hemp only producing twitches and dips most of the time and even when a bite really developed I managed to strike into thin air - all very frustrating !!

TBH I didn't have great hopes of catching either good fish or of quantity today following the very cold, wet weekend, but I needed to get out in the fresh air and to that end I succeeded admirably !!

I lightly prebaited another swim for tomorrows session before I left for home, but again I think it will be very hard going and will remain so until the weather settles down...a few warm days wouldn't go amiss..

On more positive note I gave my 'pin a good clean and loaded new line this afternoon so at least the tackle is ready !

rubio

Reaction score
Squeezed an hour or so last night. Hadn't expected to have the opportunity so a pleasant dry evening and a few fish was a great bonus.
Started off by tackling up my tench rod ready for a go at them properly sometime soon. For now I convinced myself it would be wise to have a few casts to settle new line onto the spool. With that in mind I put on a loaded insert that would cast straight thro the crosswind. I reached the far side of the lilies easily enough but fished just 5 rodlengths out cos I couldn't catapault maggots any further without broadcasting the entire swim. Small perch were on it swiftly then some small roach. Even tho I had only a short time I began feeding 2 inside lines. To my right I dumped two generous handfuls of maggot, and on the left started flicking 2/3 regularly. Bites become more frequent out in front but were harder to hit. With 30 mins left I finally bothered to change down to finer hook and trace and fished higher up in the water. A couple more missed bites then the rod pulled round as I was reaching for the catty. I feared another carp had gatecrashed my party as seems to be the case more often than not. They won't go near anyone actually targeting them at the moment, but a single red maggot is the killer carp bait for sure. It wasn't particularly big either as I turned it away from the lilies. Then it rolled and I took a lot more care with a nice roach of about a pound. Next fish was a netter too and half a dozen more from all 3 spots in the swim. This my first time in this swim I was pleased enough to leave ontime for once. Whilst packing up I did get a visit from a carp. No idea of it's size as it snapped the hooklength before I'd even got a hand on the rod.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Oh Lord, I've done some dumb things down to this sport and this morning I reached new heights / depths.

My first "proper" trip to the new "local" tackle shop. Admittedly, I went in tooled up as I needed a new seatbox. They did their best to steer me towards a Frenzee model at £350 but, no, the business genius in me had to have the Daiwa 500 model at £500.

So far, so good. That was when the willpower went the way of an England batting performance on a bad day in India. You may remember, dear reader, a couple of weeks back I was kicking my Shimano Beastmaster pole into the doldrums?

For reasons I cannot ever hope to fathom, it suddenly became the most pressing engagement of my adult life and, having already read some rave reviews, I just had to have the Preston Response (didn't they get THAT right?) M70 pole. I did maintain enough common sense to get them to elasticate it, as it's a job I detest with complete passion. I sat, drank a coffee and wondered how to sneak it past the current future ex Mrs.

A quick phone call to her to assert my Alpha Male rights and privileges and I drove to the fave commercial to road test both items of kit. It could only be a couple of hours but better than nothing.

Upon arrival, I set up using a Preston hollow core elastic for munter huntin and a ready tied rig that's served me well recently, a Middy Carp dibber to 9lb main and a 7.6lb trace and a 14.

A while ago, I noted the step up from 6mm cubed spam to 10mm definitely put the skimmers off so I opened a tinny and knife cut half a can to the required size.

After plodding out a cup of hemp via the cupping kit, I pushed the meat out and settled back to await events.

Sure enough, the first customer was the usual, a common around 5lbs which fought well. I was more than pleased with the pole. Not since the original Preston PXR reels have I found kit that felt like it was made for me.

A second followed some twenty minutes later, a shade bigger, a pound or so. Again, a good fight but the pole performed superbly.

With the unsettled conditions, sport was slowish and nothing followed for half an hour or so until a third, a sprightly mirror around a pound and a half quickly followed by a similar specimen a shade more at two pounds or so. Having a lot to do, I decided that one more fish was all the test I could conduct today and another half hour or so later, the float dipped again and a mirror around five pounds was soon netted.

So, that was it for today. Well pleased. Arriving home, I found the old adage of Who Dares, Wins applied in full. I got a text, she was in Morrison's and did I want anything? Yes, actually, I wanted to quickly smuggle my new prize to my tackle room which was duly accomplished.

Michael Caine's Self Preservation Society then took over and I remembered a conversation a few months back when I mentioned the absolute lack of quality of the pole holdall that came with the Shimano, I mean it was bad enough to have finished below Villa this year. The Preston holdall was merely a replacement (well, it's kind of true....) if questions followed.

Her only comment on the Daiwa box was that it was a nice shade of red. Can't wait to get out there properly next week and run the pole out again.

Till then, adieu. :)

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
With plenty of maggots at hand, my tench rod set up in the boot and a couple of hours to waste I took myself off to club lake in the hope of a few quick bites. The wind still cutting thro to ya bones did not make it a comfortable experience. Plenty of small perch kept me distracted enough but I kept pulling my collar up in the vain hope I could stay warm. A run of roach a little later and I couldn't care less. Soon as bites dropped away I was off tho. On time for dinner again.