How did you get on?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Decisions decsions decisions.

Going fishing tomorrow. The better half wonders why I'm pacing the house.

Do I go back to the perch lake, where the last couple of times the brim and the quality roach have been playing havoc with the large prawn bait and boiling at any mags fed. The roach are decent fish and I understand go over 2lb but lots 6-12 oz and last time I had a few well over 1lb. This entailed waiting for the float to really sail away....but strangely hard when its constantly dipping and lifting.

Do I simply change to really large 1" - 2" hair rigged cube of spam, that I understand the perch like. In fact caught big perch elsewhere on spam!

Do I target the roach with small prawn pieces feeding mags.

Do I take prawn spam and maggots.?

Shall I relax and feeder fish the island rather than fish a crystal 3bb waggler?

I know I'm lucky having a prolific water to fish nearby.

Or do I try somewhere totally different place that has a few tench to 6lb max it seem.and maybe sit biteless for hours. Why am I so jittery?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Temperature's dropped, still what the heck, I love a challenge - back for some more crucians Thursday.............................I love easy decisions...............;)

Chefster

Reaction score
Extension Pool today for the monday open at TBF,i drew peg 38,an area im not fond of as its over 16m wide and 6-7 ft deep down the track..
I opted to fish close quarters today,top kit in front,and down both edges..started on pellet,had a couple,but missed 10 bites on the trot,so switched to corn,still feeding 4mm pellet,by hand,this did the trick,swapping between the 3 lines ,i managed 38 f1,s,and a few skimmers and roach for 72-1-0,which got me in the frame again,but well beaten,Tunnel expert Wayne Sweetman,drew flyer 21,and had 140-0-0,to win..92-8-0 was 2nd by a travelling angler,from peg 26......nothing i could do,to beat those weights,i feel i got the most from my peg:(,Back there tomorrow on New pool,heres hoping for a good draw:Dtight lines ,Gazza

john step

Reaction score
Pretty poorly all day and one bright spot to finish up with.

No decent perch only tiddlers. Then just thinking of packing up and a 1lb 5oz roach took pity on me.

neil1970

Reaction score
Needing to drop off a parcel in a neighbouring town, and with an hour to spare...I decided to have a go in a little pond for a Rudd on the lure.

I cheated, by throwing in 2-4 maggots at regular intervals to get the fish going.

I could probably have caught 20+ if using light waggler tactics, but thoroughly enjoyed watching the little fish chase the artificial bait right to
my feet.

Extremely frustrating, but fun:confused: Ended up with 5.

Chefster

Reaction score
I,ll keep it short and sweet,Tunnel Barn,New and House pools today as a high number booked on 40+,I drew New 22,the start of cyanide straight,that sums it up really ,only thing realistically to fish for was the section from there today:(Even that didnt look possible,until the last 45 mins ,when some fish turned up down the edge,and i added 12 big F1,s to my net,along with the 10 i,d got,and some ide,skimmers,stockies,i managed a modest 55-10-0,to take the section from 14-34....all the big pegs produced,77lb Barry Duggan,peg 7,winning..Ron "Midas"Knotley,was 2nd from peg 10,with a big 74lb,and Jimmy Wills made the frame with a low 74lb.......I,m working now ,for over a week:eek::eek:so no fishing until next thursday and friday...Tight lines,Gazza

seth49

Reaction score
Well it's been a day of extremes today, went out to load the car up, and the windows were iced up.

Came home at seven o clock tonight and the thermometer in the garden had hit 21 degrees at the hottest part of the day. It's been really warm today, bright sunshine and really warm, done my arthritic shoulder a world of good.

It was poor fishing wise for me today, just three skimmers on the float, and a carp of ten pounds eleven ounces of top on dog biscuit, spent a lot of time stalking the carp but they didn't seem interested, looked like they were enjoying the sunshine too.

Had a robin helping himself to pellets of the tray right beside me, saw a buzzard lots of curlews.calling.wren singing his heart out just behind me surprising how loud they are for such a little bird.

Nice to be out on such a good day, even though didn't catch much.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
A wonderful day to be out but disappointed with the fishing. The silvers so active I couldn't fish properly for the perch.

Had a couple of lads come to chat , one I found out being Graham King the barbel record holder and we chatted for a couple of hours. Some peoples ears probably burnt.....

He invited me to have a fish with him on some other perchy places and Severn river bits. He's local to Worcester.

With a visit soon arranged to tour Redmire with Les Bamford things are looking up in the Celebrity Squares arena. ( smiley)

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
A day out yesterday to try for some roach, a day entirely dependent on a small bed of hemp lightly scattered at intervals along with mussels as hookbait.
I had done ok with it last week and had decided to use it again to see how it would fare.
A very late start around noon saw me finally casting to my tiny circle of hemp and finely chopped mussels some three feet from the marginal reedmace. To be honest I didnt fancy my chances all that much as the high sun wasnt really in my favour but I had the choice of staying till dark on account of gaining a good few brownie points earlier so if my early efforts didnt come to fruition then dusk could just maybe save the day.
Some ten minutes in and it was nice to see the float rise and then slowly slide beneath the surface whhch resulted in a bream of some twelve ounces or thereabouts, a promising start, and one that continued with more bream pretty much the same as the first .
All very nice but much as I like bream the absence of my intended quarry was prooving to be a little dissapointing but I hung in hoping that things would change, maybe a Tench would turn up as they had done last week, after all it was a warm day-if proof was needed how warm one only had to look out over the lake to see dozens of carp that had abandoned their never ending quest of nosing in the mud to enjoy a bit of basking in the sunshine, at one point I counted no less than nineteen in front of me that I could almost touch with my rod but not wanting to waste my efforts I soldiered on hoping for a nice roach.
SPER -- LASH!. looking round a carp angler had just gone in the lake, tho not entirely sure I thought he may have lost his gear to a fish but it all looked ok and he came out quite unconcerned so it remained unclear-- maybe a long session- who knows, it reminded me of the time I was on the banks of the upper witham many years ago when I had arrived very early at Dry Doddington to catch the river at dawn, a guy came walking past with all his gear on his shoulders, passed a few pleasentries then moved on, seconds later he fell in the river for no apparent reason clambered out and went back to his car to drive back to Nottingham .
Two pm arrived and my float slid away ,expecting another bream I was pleased to feel the unmistakable nodding of a nice roach that came to the net after a rather spirited struggle-- a nice one two that made 1-3 on the scales later in the day.
Three more put ins gave me three more roach-- all cracking fish over a pound and fish that verified my choice of bait, tactics and venue. The bream had gone now and with the odd top up of hemp n chopped mussel it was roach that made the running with one that came to my net that for that one split second had me thinking" Ive done a two" but no, o n inspection in the landing net I knew it would be light, sad, but a belter anyway.
I was also beginnig to doubt my fish as a few had look of rudd or quite possibly rudd/roach hybrids, not all but some, maybe decide yourselves if Steve puts the piks up later on.
I had eight roach (and rudd or rudd/roach hybrids)in total tho like a prat I missed the net with the last one, , everyone over a pound in wieght two were 1-3 and 1-4 with the big one going 1-13 , big fish in my neck of the woods.
Time to go I returned about fifteen bream but retained the roach (or whatever) for a couple of piks, the carp angler nearby came down to look and was pretty impressed which was nice, he had had some ten carp on the zig rig , agood session too but what can you expect from another guy from Mansfield!!
Got to say however joking apart that any water I target in the future for roach will not see me without a few mussels-- deadly, and they certainly sort out the better fish.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
FLIGHTLINER.
Loved the story and great result. Can I ask where the mussels come from. Fishmongers?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes I'd agree with that - a very nice write-up flightliner with some good fish caught on an unusual bait !
Always good to see someone thinking out of the box with results to show for it...

Great stuff and much deserved IMHO..

flightliner

Reaction score
Graham, the mussels were from both Morrisons and asda at £1-30 a punnit tho I have found that tesco do the same quantity for a £1. They're both described as cooked mussels, the morrison ones further described as "rope grown".
If you use them I would be most interested to know how you get on.

Tee cee, thanks for your comments tho I take no credit for trying mussels as bait, its going out to use them with nothing else to fall back on thats the big hurdle.
Do try them tho, I was using a piece about a quarter full size, tho experience will tell you whats best for your particular fishing style.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Are you using just a particular part of the mussel and cutting a section off ??

Trying to visualise bait size and hook...Let's face it, roach can handle a decent size of bait ( like whole lobs ! ) so no reason not to use a biggish bait ??

I can see the queues forming outside Morrisons this coming week as the rush starts !! I'm going to give them a bash - love trying new stuff !

ps I can't help thinking this should be on a separate thread, though..

flightliner

Reaction score
Are you using just a particular part of the mussel and cutting a section off ??

Trying to visualise bait size and hook...Let's face it, roach can handle a decent size of bait ( like whole lobs ! ) so no reason not to use a biggish bait ??

I can see the queues forming outside Morrisons this coming week as the rush starts !! I'm going to give them a bash - love trying new stuff !

ps I can't help thinking this should be on a separate thread, though..
ok, new thread coming up.