How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Went for a couple of hours yesterday just to use some left over lug-worms and still caught zilch, waves were good but wrong sky this time...

still, beats the M25.

Spotted a few of these crawling around the wall, about an inch long, not sure what they were, any good as bait?

That's as interesting as it gets for now, next time will be my day..."yeah right", I said it for you.:)

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Went for a couple of hours yesterday just to use some left over lug-worms and still caught zilch, waves were good but wrong sky this time...

still, beats the M25.

Spotted a few of these crawling around the wall, about an inch long, not sure what they were, any good as bait?

That's as interesting as it gets for now, next time will be my day..."yeah right", I said it for you.:)

Sea Slaters, like giant woodlice. Don't think they're any good for bait.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
A morning spent catching small Perch and Ide, Was Prity cold I must say!!

21b8vmq.jpg

2ymdt9h.jpg

fly03n.jpg

211qyyg.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I has no intention of fishing yesterday following a fairly heavy night and with very rain in the forecast, but having woken at 5am and with little hope of resuming sleep I decided to make the effort...
Getting down the stairs took some time as I had to carry the fishing clothing, and in the dark I have to be very careful these days. First problem was to lug bait from the freezer into the kitchen and start to defrost it. Hemp of different sizes, corn and even slices of sliced bread took very little time and this along with the elderberries still in the fridge gave me enough for a morning on the bank. (10 day old elderberries still okay, if not a little soft!)
I checked the weather on TV and still it promised rain, sometimes heavy from around seven(ish) I decide to head off at 06.30 to arrive at the venue at just after seven. Sure enough at 7.15 spots of rain appeared on the surface of the lake so tackling up was down PDQ and by 07.30 I was ensconced under the umbrella and ready to go. The other factor was the water being covered on a sort of rolling mist which came and went and in varying degrees of intensity for some 2 hours. Not actually cold as such, but definitely the coolest morning since last spring.
At one point the rain eased and the heavy cloud thinned just enough to reveal a very watery sun, which, with the mist, gave the water a very eerie feel. The lack of any wind helped give that ' something appearing out of the mist' .........................

When sorting the gear I noticed some small rises on the surface which looked to be roach (the target fish) so I set up with a small float with a long antenna using a coil of lead almost an inch long resting on the bottom shot which was a good 8" from the 18 hook and fished large hemp. In the 6/7' deep swim I decide to try mid depth and then come shallower/deeper if bites were scarce.
In the first hour I had eight roach up to 10" long and then the bites became finicky so I went down to a 20 and fished standard hemp. Plenty of bites followed but I managed to miss them and some of those hooked were lost almost at once.
With standard hemp a 20 hook sits into the slit of the seed pretty well, but on occasion it tends to sit too far into the seed so I changed back to an 18 ( the seed just pushed onto the bend of the hook looked wrong somehow) but I tried a very gentle cast and took a nice roach almost 11" long.
My only conclusion to all of this was that the hook point on the 20 was, perhaps, masked by the seed because after this I carried on catching through until 1pm. It was a real bind to find seeds that would take the bigger hook and stay on, and this not helped by the rain which really hammered down from time to time and wet, soggy hands...
I found, once again, that after a fish or two I needed to cast to the other side of the swim, and then to the central area just to keep the bites going but it worked well and I finished with more than, well, TBH I lost count !! Most above 8" but none bigger than the 11" fish.
I did try elderberry a couple of times, both plain and steeped in flavour but the bites were such that I think the fish were just charging at the bait as the float vanished in an instant. I has a couple of roach on them but the hemp (not large stuff) was producing well so I stuck with that.
Just after midday the heavy cloud cleared and the rain stopped completely, so I managed to dry the gear before making tracks.

Yes, under the brolly (again) in heavy rain, which doesn't make for easy fishing as everything seems to take so much longer, but I really love the feeling of seclusion it offers - almost like being cut off from the rest of the world........I just loved it!!

Out again much of the coming week with perhaps the chance of a reasonable perch, but nothing that might challenge the best perch competition. If I manage a 2lb'er I will be more than happy with that..

Anyway, enough of this chat, I've got fishing stuff to sort!!!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

still, beats the M25.

Sea slaters dang things can bite be warned i have been nipped a few times fish do not seem to like them Westwood Ho used to be crawling with them .

PG ...

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Went out to one of my regular spots today .

Started out ok the usual suspects Roach Rudd Perch Bream coming out nicely then along came old Esox attached to a roach of about 6 oz then that was it fish switched off , Even the Heron gave up and flew off that was that .

Packup and head home .

PG ...

rubio

Reaction score
Fished club lake yesterday for roach and caught ever smaller perch as the day wore on. Blighters were repeatedly taking sweetcorn. Eventually got a few roach late on to improve my day.
Went to river today and fished punch on a light stick float for much better roach action. Nothing outstanding but a steady relaxed session with plenty of bites. They made me work a bit adjusting shotting and depth to keep 'em coming. Just the sort of day I enjoy. Had a couple of fine looking rudd and some small chub at the fallings and a plan to return again. Hopefully after some rain!

Chefster

Reaction score
Open match today on House pool,at TBF,out of the drawbag came peg 19:eek::mad::(horrible draw,i dont usually mind where i draw,but this is dire!!...Anyway,it was a real struggle all day,with foulhookers,missed bites,liners etc:(,to cut a long story short ,ive caught 44lb odd,of stockies,roach and perch ,a few on bread,some on maggot,and some on pellet,for nowhere,the guy next to me faired better,and won section with 53lb odd,then it was 20lb+ weights,along the section,terrible area..The match was won by John Johnson from peg 4(flyer),with 90lb +,and there was an 88lb,from peg 29(Flyer)dont know what else framed,but ,there were a few 60lb+ weights,im not out at all this week,anymore ,due to work,i dont know whether thats a blessing or not:DTight lines,Gazza

Pete Shears

Reaction score
First piking trip of the autumn on the reservoir - thick fog,0 degrees C according to the car dashboard - 3 rods on deadbaits, not a sniff : out came the spinning rod and managed not to blank with a small perch and a tiny pike ( a subway one- 12" long ) but when the sun broke though - very warm,still some swallows flying low over the water,dragonflies & butterflies,spent a few minutes to watch a red admiral sunning itself on my landing net handle,back tomorrow for some more punishment.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Has another go at the Warks Avon yesterday, half a dozen of the smallest Dace I've ever caught, a solitary Roach that didn't trouble the net, a Gudgeon and twenty odd Perch best about three quarters of a pound and four other "netters"
Beautiful day and a superb setting, shame about the fishing:)

john step

Reaction score
Caught a couple of decent perch today(logged onto the perch challenge).
I used lamprey section about 2" long on a size 6. I wondered if perch would go for it and know I know. I had several smaller perch as well.

At the end of the session I tossed the lamprey section into the margin and a goodly carp woofed it down. Food for thought???

flightliner

Reaction score
A change of water colour/clarity and lower temperatures had me changing my approach on a local dam. Lots of striking perch and pike thro out the summer had me using my lure gear to see if a stripey would secumb to one or other of my offerings.
Second cast and a small jack is swung to hand --- yes, it was that small ---- and in the next ten minutes several others could be felt nipping the lures back end while others could be seen shying away at the last possible second.
I moved on.
Hoping for a perch instead of tiny jacks I settled beside a big overhanging bush, an ideal ambush point that prooved exactly that, but sadly another small pike --- god, whats happened here, a big pike venue that suddenly starts turning up jacks in quantity, maybe a sign of the big fish dying off--- who knows?.
A quite half hour followed so I up sticks and legged it to the far side where another two tiny jacks had me throwing in the towel in favour of a look around the top end of the water where it's a little shollower.
There's a bit of high bank up there which is a good place to look from, the down side being that to its left is a no fishing zone where --- guess what ------ two really good pike are sidling around together with that decidedly pikey expression that suggests " no, after you" but each declining the offer.
Typical that they out of bounds but thats fishing at times. Either of them would have been a "scalp" , maybe another day.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a couple of hours out today after tea, the river felt cold and the fish weren't playing!
I don't suppose it was that bad really, wasn't that good either though lol. I had two nice chub of about 4 1/2 and about 5lb but not a sniff of a barbel.
I had a play fight with a Tup, it was built like a small rhino and it really thought it could take me in a straightner....proper fun playing at bull fighting with a sheep! I had to grab it's harness at the end to calm it down as it had a bone on and had it's eye on me harris.....sex mad them Tups, it had a field full of effin' ewes and it fancied me, must be my youthfull good looks LOL.

Last edited:

wawaw1867

Reaction score
Had a four hour session Sunday morning on a local pond (Bradley's near Sheffield) with my 11 year old daughter. I had a mixed bag of small common and mirror carp, bream, Crucian and tench - 10 fish in total my daughter managed 1 mirror around 3lb. Both fishing method feeder. Nice mornings pleasure fish.

robtherake

Reaction score
I had a couple of hours out today after tea, the river felt cold and the fish weren't playing!
I don't suppose it was that bad really, wasn't that good either though lol. I had two nice chub of about 4 1/2 and about 5lb but not a sniff of a barbel.
I had a play fight with a Tup, it was built like a small rhino and it really thought it could take me in a straightner....proper fun playing at bull fighting with a sheep! I had to grab it's harness at the end to calm it down as it had a bone on and had it's eye on me harris.....sex mad them Tups, it had a field full of effin' ewes and it fancied me, must be my youthfull good looks LOL.

I have no words.:eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
Maybe it was fed up with a fieldfull of those plug ugly jacobs --- were you wearing a fleece ?.:)