How did you get on?

robtherake

Reaction score
Caught a couple of decent perch today(logged onto the perch challenge).
I used lamprey section about 2" long on a size 6. I wondered if perch would go for it and know I know. I had several smaller perch as well.

At the end of the session I tossed the lamprey section into the margin and a goodly carp woofed it down. Food for thought???

Nice tip, John. I've heard of chub being a sucker for a lamprey section, but never perch. Something I'll be trying in the near future. I'm assuming you legered it?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Decided to go to northen river for a couple of days sun as such nice day
Got there at 4pm and dropped in black cap feeder under rod tip for roach . 10 mins done by barbel and two chub around 4lb.!

Started barbel fishing and managed six. First 11.2 and then two 9's then 10.4 and small one. Packed up 10.30.
Fighting like crazy hard.
Next day made mistake roach fishing in sunshine. About 8 to 12oz only. But later rotten headache.
Started barbel fish about 4.30. Within 10 mins a powerful 11.4
Followed by two more.
Headache so bad decided to get some painkillers and head home. Packed up 7pm. Loads roads closed..nightmare journey home 11pm.

mikench

Reaction score
northern river and sun! is there such a combination? Sounds like you had a good few days despite the headaches!:)

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Back at the reservoir this morning to be greeted by an osprey circling overhead,it didn't stay long,I should have took the hint - nothing again on deadbaits and only managed 3 'subway' pike and a perch spinning.

neil1970

Reaction score
I went down the weir today with a mate who's just started fishing again after 30 years off.
We both struggled a bit until Simon came down and showed us how its done.
My mate was grateful of some expert advice and finished the day with a nice 1lb Perch...cheers Simon!
:)

greenie62

Reaction score
Had an afternoon at the local day-ticket water. Got a funny mixture of roach and gudgeon on maggot - most of the gudgeon were bigger than the roach! This is my new mini-net for just such as this!

IMG_1300_zpsgyhahary.jpg

Switched to float/ledger - mussel as bait - and had a couple of barbel. 1st was 4.5lb and 2nd - a 'last cast' special guided into the margins while I started to pack away whilst it was still light.

It was difficult to subdue and didn't want to give up and wouldn't come off the bottom - I'd thought initially it was a double figure common carp until eventually it showed itself - before it took-off again! Eventually tamed it enough to threaten it with the net - only for it to take off again! - Once I'd seen it next to the net I started to get worried that it might not go in! Eventually got it played out enough to try the net again - fortunately it 'folded' in the right place to net - just!

Thought I've got to get a piccy of this one - got the mat out and remembered to switch the flash on as it was getting dark - 7lb10oz PB!

IMG_1304_zpszbzqlyqi.jpg

Need a bigger net!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I couldn't get out but Big Phil was down at Windsor again yesterday hoping to continue the good roach fishing we've been enjoying. Once again he managed to find about 30 useable elderberries and I gave him some tares to try which we were both convinced would work.They didn't....he struggled.

All he could get was small perch & gudjin with the odd micro roach and dace. No quality at all. Couldn't buy a bite on hemp or tares so ended up scratching about on maggot Then about 4pm suddenly the quality roach were there and he had a good hour or so.....then they switched off as quickly as they came on. Though he had a few fish on the berry he couldn't get a bite on hemp or tares...it was all maggot. The kipper dace we'd been catching just didn't not show

Very odd. What a difference a week makes....last week they were crawling up the rod yet nothings really changed. He was quite crestfallen the poor Old Boy !

B

binka

I met with Graham (The Crow) shortly after 6am this morning for a very enjoyable day out on the river.

In contrast to the sharp frost back at the beginning of the week it was a mild start and whilst I was after another big stripey to top the one last weekend, Graham was having what turned out to be a successful crack at the barbel.

A slow start for me really on the long rod with float and lobworm with little to show for the first few hours except a possible missed chance on the first drop in, I know the swim well and remarked to Graham that I was thinking about setting up the light float rod and just trotting down the edge under a constant rain of maggots which I know, from previous experience, the big perch get preoccupied with.

Shortly afterwards I was doing just that having set up a light 2 x no.4 stick rig shotted with no.10’s along with a 3.3lb Supplex flouro hooklink and B911X size 18 spade end and whilst it was always going to be a case of wading through the bits I didn’t expect a barbel of around 8lb but I soon had one in the net.

A while later and I hit into another seemingly ordinary bite just off the rod tip and this time I remarked to Graham that I knew it was a good perch as it bored away whilst angrily shaking its head, to put it into context just how well these Trent fish fight it took me for around four rod lengths which was further than the barbel and it still went on a second run, almost as far, after I had first seen the fish on the surface!

Luckily I didn’t suffer a dreaded hook pull and with the fish in the net I was pretty certain it was my first ‘3’ of the season…

Graham did me proud with a few pictures and the fish was weighed and returned at 3lb 1oz.

Happy with that, roll on the weekend!

Cheers Graham, great craic once again... :w

Chefster

Reaction score
I met with Graham (The Crow) shortly after 6am this morning for a very enjoyable day out on the river.

In contrast to the sharp frost back at the beginning of the week it was a mild start and whilst I was after another big stripey to top the one last weekend, Graham was having what turned out to be a successful crack at the barbel.

A slow start for me really on the long rod with float and lobworm with little to show for the first few hours except a possible missed chance on the first drop in, I know the swim well and remarked to Graham that I was thinking about setting up the light float rod and just trotting down the edge under a constant rain of maggots which I know, from previous experience, the big perch get preoccupied with.

Shortly afterwards I was doing just that having set up a light 2 x no.4 stick rig shotted with no.10’s along with a 3.3lb Supplex flouro hooklink and B911X size 18 spade end and whilst it was always going to be a case of wading through the bits I didn’t expect a barbel of around 8lb but I soon had one in the net.

A while later and I hit into another seemingly ordinary bite just off the rod tip and this time I remarked to Graham that I knew it was a good perch as it bored away whilst angrily shaking its head, to put it into context just how well these Trent fish fight it took me for around four rod lengths which was further than the barbel and it still went on a second run, almost as far, after I had first seen the fish on the surface!

Luckily I didn’t suffer a dreaded hook pull and with the fish in the net I was pretty certain it was my first ‘3’ of the season…

Graham did me proud with a few pictures and the fish was weighed and returned at 3lb 1oz.

Excellent Steve,you are a truly great all-rounder mate!!!!:D

B

binka

Excellent Steve,you are a truly great all-rounder mate!!!!:D

Cheers Gaz, although "all round" might be more appropriate with my waistline :D

Having said that my recent efforts with the diet have seen me reduce to just the two chins now, i'll soon be down to the real one if I can keep going :D :D :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers Gaz, although "all round" might be more appropriate with my waistline :D

Having said that my recent efforts with the diet have seen me reduce to just the two chins now, i'll soon be down to the real one if I can keep going :D :D :D

LOL Steve, the chin thing made me laugh :D

Cracking perch bud :).

sam vimes

Reaction score
The local rivers have been out of sorts for a while, and a recent long stay session really wasn't worth mentioning with regards to fish. I've been struggling a bit for motivation to go. Several days have seen me poke my nose outdoors and find any feeble excuse not to bother. Today I finally got my backside in gear for a bit of a dabble. Went to a local beck that I can't fish during summer and I tend not to fish unless there's plenty of water in it anyway.

Today there was next to no water in it. The few fish I could see were exceedingly flighty in pretty shallow water. It was a real struggle until the sun started to go down. I knew there were fish about, but I could only tempt the odd little trout and grayling. Eventually, I managed a proper grayling, despite being able to see that they didn't appear to be moving in the slightest to grab any bait. As I could still see a few fish, they barely moved a muscle as I played the first, I kept plugging away. Just as I was about to give up the ghost, the float paused and shot under. Considering that I was fishing in no more than 12" of water, it put up a good fight. As soon as I could see it properly, I knew it was a decent fish. As soon as it went over the lip of the net, I was hopeful that it might be an exceptional fish. Slightly frustratingly, it was a grayling and it went 1lb 15oz.

thecrow

Reaction score
A smashing day today on the river with Steve, lots of laughs and a couple of pristine barbel that looked resplendent in their autumnal colours and fought like demons, just one downer on the day that I should own up to even though I had sworn Steve to secrecy, I had a bream of around 3 lbs but it was soon forgotten as another barbel came along.

The day was made a little more special for me as I was lucky enough to be there to see Steve's 3+ perch having been there last season when a larger one was lost, keep at them mate.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Get in!!!

Seeing these magnificent perch being caught is doing my head in, for reasons far too boring to go into I can't get down to my perch water at the moment, hopefully that will change and if I can net one as beautiful as above my season will be made.

robtherake

Reaction score
Get in!!!

Seeing these magnificent perch being caught is doing my head in, for reasons far too boring to go into I can't get down to my perch water at the moment, hopefully that will change and if I can net one as beautiful as above my season will be made.

Me too - I'm proper revved-up. Even got myself a pack of lamprey after John's success with it. Worms are dug, mawks bought and ready. Just need to find the bloody time...:rolleyes:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Just a quick resume of the last few weeks.

Been working far too hard (God, I hope that it results in a few quid!) but managed a few afternoons with a good mate, a bundle of moderate carp and a belly full of laughs the result.

An Autumn go for a big tench planned for Saturday and three days on the Wye after Barbel next week.

Let you know how I get on!

Stu