How did you get on?

swizzle

Reaction score
Well I have only about three targets fish wise before I clog it. Most realistic.

One of those is a 3lb Grayling. On the Frome today and it was fairly quiet although conditions looked good.

After an hour I had managed a couple of fish to about one and a half. Then the strike met some solid resistance on the strike and I knew it was a good fish.
Slowly slowly up the inside it ran. Then out into the main flow giving me the shakes until I edged it into net.
I didn't think it was and I was right, but a beautiful fish at 2.13 equaling my pb.

Quiet for a time and lots of swims tried for a couple of 1lb+ fish. Then...... A really big fish twisting and turning in the vortex downstream, edged inside, a jump....and it was gone. Fishcakes or similar screamed one demented angler!!!!

Back towards the start of the beat....another half mile snd immediatly into another cracker. Into the net! Yes yes.

Exactly 3lb ...but the plastic bag weighed an ounce...so really 2.15. Still happy, no estatic. What a fish!

A couple more fosh lost both around 2lb I reckoned.
Now in the pub in Wareham celebrating.

I cant use photobucket just virus earnings, but if anyone is prepared to add the pics I would like to share my fortune.

Graham, if you wish, you can email them to me, I'll send my email by PM.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice fish Graham...well done :).

You sure that placcy bag weighs an ounce.....that's a heavy placcy bag m8!

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Well I have only about three targets fish wise before I clog it. Most realistic.

One of those is a 3lb Grayling. On the Frome today and it was fairly quiet although conditions looked good.

After an hour I had managed a couple of fish to about one and a half. Then the strike met some solid resistance on the strike and I knew it was a good fish.
Slowly slowly up the inside it ran. Then out into the main flow giving me the shakes until I edged it into net.
I didn't think it was and I was right, but a beautiful fish at 2.13 equaling my pb.

Quiet for a time and lots of swims tried for a couple of 1lb+ fish. Then...... A really big fish twisting and turning in the vortex downstream, edged inside, a jump....and it was gone. Fishcakes or similar screamed one demented angler!!!!

Back towards the start of the beat....another half mile snd immediatly into another cracker. Into the net! Yes yes.

Exactly 3lb ...but the plastic bag weighed an ounce...so really 2.15. Still happy, no estatic. What a fish!

A couple more fosh lost both around 2lb I reckoned.
Now in the pub in Wareham celebrating.

I cant use photobucket just virus earnings, but if anyone is prepared to add the pics I would like to share my fortune.

Excellent Graham, well done,

A grayling of that size is certainly no mean feat and a treasure to behold, I love grayling being very high up on me river fish but unfortunately there's not many decent grayling waters here in Kent :(

Incidentally Graham are you definitely sure that the plastic bag weighs 1 oz, to be honest mate I've used the strong Asda or WH smiths bags for years for all of me weighing for the simple fact that they don't really weigh anything, maybe a few drams but that is honestly nothing :rolleyes:
On me Rubeon Heaton digital scales when when the tare setting is on lbs and ounces a plastic bag weighs nothing and is why I deliberately use the bags,

It seems to me Graham that providing yer scales were correctly zeroed and the grayling stated 3lb id then say that you've got yerself a 3 lber,

And I'd now be cheering and celebrating even more :thumbs:

The Frome is certainly the place to be

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Congratulations on a lovely fish Graham, several in fact! Spinners stretch?

Despite the regular reports a 3lb grayling is a rare beast from the Frome. It is one of the few rivers where there is definite realistic chance of one but they don't turn up anywhere near as frequently as claimed.

I've got less than two weeks left on the stretches I fish but at the moment I'm struggling to get out of the house (suffering from severe man flu).

:doh:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Graham's grayling.....

Truly a pucka looking fish, that's a proper lady of the stream :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Congratulations on a lovely fish Graham, several in fact! Spinners stretch?

Despite the regular reports a 3lb grayling is a rare beast from the Frome. It is one of the few rivers where there is definite realistic chance of one but they don't turn up anywhere near as frequently as claimed.

I've got less than two weeks left on the stretches I fish but at the moment I'm struggling to get out of the house (suffering from severe man flu).

:doh:

Yep I whole heartedly agree Neil, in reality to catch a run of big grayling and even from the Frome is as rare as hens teeth,
Definitely a lot easier said than done :D

Hope you get well soon and manage to get out on the bank within the last few weeks, my much preferred and favourite time :thumbs:

john step

Reaction score
Isn't it fun packing up in the pouring rain IN THE PITCH DARK after a zander trip.
I have a garage full of wet dripping things to sort tomorrow.
Just one Z of 5lb 9ozs on the Wonder Tress I have invested in.

There was a discussion on here recently re Z's and the bites they give and the hooking thereof.

I would have thought it was a minnow tap tap tapping on the rod top if it wasn't for the fact I had a deadbait on!

I had tried the rod in the air type of set up as told on here about German zander fishers recently.

Roll on Spring.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Thanks all.
And thank you to Simon for adding the pic. Thats actually the 2.13 fish.

Steak with trimmings for 2 at £10 and a few pints. Then a few. Britford tomorrow.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Some great fishing Graham!
I agree with someone else - no way a plastic bag can weigh 1oz (can it?)

Wareham pub as good a place as any to celebrate. Mind you, after the third pint you could be anywhere!

greenie62

Reaction score
Between duties yesterday, managed to get a few hours fishing in the afternoon at a local mill pool to see if the roach had woken up a bit more than last week!
50p worth of maggots - mixed red & plain - and the pole top 2-3 to keep things simple :eek: First put-in a real confident bite - a cracking roach of 10oz! Next fish 8oz, then a 6oz, then a 4oz, 2oz, 1oz,...1oz....1oz!

Where have the decent fish gone now? Rather than carry on at full-depth - 6ft - shallowed-up to 3ft - and there they were - half-pounder! Then they started to get smaller again:eek: Gaps between bites got longer - and I started to miss them!

Went back to full depth - got a few more but missed every other:(

I was using 1-2 maggots on a light 18 to 2lb hooklength and decided to try something out that had been mentioned recently on FM - the mousetache-style hooking of the maggot.:confused:

I'd avoided this for over 50 years since being shown the 'right' way to hook maggots - just nicking them through the top corner to leave them unsullied and perfectly wriggling! Hooking them through the middle used to puncture them so badly that they 'deflated' sadly and weren't so appealing as a juicy bait - I blame the old hooks for not being as sharp as the modern ones!

The 'sideways in the middle' hooking saw the same pattern of bites - but I stopped 'missing' them :) Can't say it works every time but it was a noticeably-improved hit rate:)
I reckon that after the initial 'Oooh - food!' confident bites - the roach had got a bit wary and were taking the dangling maggots by sucking them in - giving the bite indication but the strike whizzed the maggot out of their lips causing the 'miss' - whereas the cross-hooked maggots weren't dangling for a suck and got taken straight into the mouth - bite!:eek:

Put the rest of the pole up and tried the far bank - skimmers! - forget that! :eek:
Tried near bank under my feet - perch! - diddy ones! - all lip-hooked neatly - perhaps they are slowwer to gobble-down the cross-hooked maggots rather than gulp them down for a deep-hooking like normal:confused:

Worth trying again! :D

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Between duties yesterday, managed to get a few hours fishing in the afternoon at a local mill pool to see if the roach had woken up a bit more than last week!
50p worth of maggots - mixed red & plain - and the pole top 2-3 to keep things simple :eek: First put-in a real confident bite - a cracking roach of 10oz! Next fish 8oz, then a 6oz, then a 4oz, 2oz, 1oz,...1oz....1oz!

Where have the decent fish gone now? Rather than carry on at full-depth - 6ft - shallowed-up to 3ft - and there they were - half-pounder! Then they started to get smaller again:eek: Gaps between bites got longer - and I started to miss them!

Went back to full depth - got a few more but missed every other:(

I was using 1-2 maggots on a light 18 to 2lb hooklength and decided to try something out that had been mentioned recently on FM - the mousetache-style hooking of the maggot.:confused:

I'd avoided this for over 50 years since being shown the 'right' way to hook maggots - just nicking them through the top corner to leave them unsullied and perfectly wriggling! Hooking them through the middle used to puncture them so badly that they 'deflated' sadly and weren't so appealing as a juicy bait - I blame the old hooks for not being as sharp as the modern ones!

The 'sideways in the middle' hooking saw the same pattern of bites - but I stopped 'missing' them :) Can't say it works every time but it was a noticeably-improved hit rate:)
I reckon that after the initial 'Oooh - food!' confident bites - the roach had got a bit wary and were taking the dangling maggots by sucking them in - giving the bite indication but the strike whizzed the maggot out of their lips causing the 'miss' - whereas the cross-hooked maggots weren't dangling for a suck and got taken straight into the mouth - bite!:eek:

Put the rest of the pole up and tried the far bank - skimmers! - forget that! :eek:
Tried near bank under my feet - perch! - diddy ones! - all lip-hooked neatly - perhaps they are slowwer to gobble-down the cross-hooked maggots rather than gulp them down for a deep-hooking like normal:confused:

Worth trying again! :D

Absolutely worth trying again greenie if it works for you,

I've also tried this tactic over the years for canny roach and chub and admittedly thinking at first about the presentation because to be honest the hooked maggot don't exactly look great but it does work,

Glad to see that you had a good day

barbelboi

Reaction score
I decided to carry out a few hours stream hopping today so with rod, pin, net, half a pint of reds and small bag of bits took a stroll over a couple of fields to find that the overnight rain had changed the picture somewhat. A raging chocolate coloured picture, not quite the gentle stream I’m more used to. The water was still freezing cold and the fish felt like ice blocks.
16feb17is4_zpsiftfw9rn.jpg

16feb17is3_zpshsjevnjx.jpg

And how I prefer it.............:)
is%2023jun16%203_zpsooosqb7d.jpg

16feb17is2_zpslv1tfyn2.jpg

Anyway, nothing ventured – nothing gained, and all that, so 4 hours trotting over a couple of miles of ‘molten chocolate’ and thankfully managed to tempt some fish. Just over 20 roach and ‘lets, one perch and not a sign of the dace. Fished from 10.30am - 2.30pm starting in bright sunshine quickly turning to white cloud and a nippy breeze.

bracket

Reaction score
Like Graham I too have been checking the water level on the Frome and biding my time. I got out for three hours this morning and the river was 6 inch up and sock on, with a steady draw and a nice colour. Unusually for me I stuck the centre pin on and took a pound fish first run through, normally the kiss of death. The fog lifted and the sun came out, shirt sleeves weather almost. There was no wind, in fact ideal conditions, the stick went down a treat, just the sort of day to relish. Finished up with 18 grayling the best being this one:

It hit the scales in the landing net, at 3lb 14oz. I checked that the empty net on the scales was zeroed, which I had set some time ago, but it was reading plus 6oz. So correcting for that brings it down to 3lb 8oz, which I will happily take, thank you very much.

This is one of my centre pins that I used. It's a bit shy, not seen daylight for sometime.

This is the peg, don't look bad do it, four foot deep and pulling through nicely. How can you walk passed a peg like that? Pete.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent result Bracket! :)

That grayling looks every ounce it's weight and in typical full on winter condition. That's two "Hen's Teeth" to us on FM this season. :eek:

Still sat here at home, just a 10 minute drive from that swim, feeling even more sorry for myself! :eek:mg:

Very well done!

Rog Hill

Reaction score
"Still sat here at home, just a 10 minute drive from that swim, feeling even more sorry for myself! "

What's up Neil, can't you get out?

mikench

Reaction score
The weather forecast said dry, calm and mild! The reality was wet cold and windy. In the morning I fished liquidised bread in a grip feeder with punch on a hair rig . Had about 6 roach about 4oz each. At about 1.00 I switched to an elasticated bomb with bread punch, then wet bread ,then corn- nothing barely a knock. I then switched to an 8mm crabpellet and had 7 more roach all around 1lb ish with one about 1lb 2 oz. how do you figure that!!

I took some pics for the benefit of Mr Crabtree and once photobucket( useless) enables me to upload them I will post a couple to demonstrate that my assessments are reasonably accurate:rolleyes: I have never caught as many large roach before and never had one genuinely over a 1lb. Thrilled:)

Roach really scrap for their size!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"Still sat here at home, just a 10 minute drive from that swim, feeling even more sorry for myself! "

What's up Neil, can't you get out?

Serious terminal case of man flu :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

It hit the scales in the landing net, at 3lb 14oz. I checked that the empty net on the scales was zeroed, which I had set some time ago, but it was reading plus 6oz. So correcting for that brings it down to 3lb 8oz, which I will happily take, thank you very much.

Pete, please excuse my ramblings but this sort of thing interests me.

I think it's safe to say your grayling measures around 50cms (your net is 20in = 51cms ish). My fish back in November was 54cms. A long fish but not so deep as yours. Mine was a bit of an old warrior but yours looks in superb nick and a reasonably young fish.

Again, a very special grayling.