How did you get on?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Those are stunning roach Artist. Really cracking fish.
And on the bank with family. What could be better.
Brill.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No stunning fish for me today on the canal, 2 gudgeon and 2 small perch was all I could muster in 4 hours with wagg and pinkie....I fancied trying the Colne but it's so low and clear I didn't bother....

Keith M

Reaction score
No stunning fish for me today on the canal, 2 gudgeon and 2 small perch was all I could muster in 4 hours with wagg and pinkie....I fancied trying the Colne but it's so low and clear I didn't bother....

Its definately not the canal it used to be with just 2 Gudgeon and two small Perch in 4 hours Peter.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Some cracking grayling and roach pics, great stuff chaps.

The roach have been kind to me of late although yesterday looked like being an exception to the rule, just when you think you've got everything nailed and you're on top of your game, mother nature throws a curve ball and you find yourself struggling for bites. "Don't worry dad we can't go wrong today" probably was a sentence tempting fate but I was just happy to have him with me as he hadn't been fishing since November. All wrapped up in many layers he looked more like a teddy bear than an angler as I watched him set up in the swim above me. I usually get a head start by the time he sets up so I can usually gauge what sort of day lies in store before he's wet a line but that mattered not today as you grow to realise it ain't all about catching so much and sometimes keeping hold of what you got for a little longer is priceless.

As for the fishing, it was slow.... three decent roach and a solitary chub in the first two hours in a spot where I was banging out one a cast in the cold snap, the only conclusion was the rain the night before was colder than usual and the flush through hadn't had time to warm up, although it was a lovely day to watch dad although he seemed to be amongst the gudgeon in his spot. He cared not, a few decent roach and small chub made him happy and you could tell he was just glad to be out.

When I came to realise he was out catching me and thinking how he wouldn't let me forget that, I went back to my swim after resting it, changed floats for the third time and finally hit in to a quality roach. A bit knocked about but with a belly like a tennis ball it fought like a chub and looked great in the sun

chunk_roach1.jpg

View image in gallery

I was happy with that and the bites still didn't come think and fast but they did come with quality as another cracking roach was on, this time a pristine fish.

With another hour of trotting completely biteless I was finally into a third roach like the last one scale perfect and the strongest of the lot, thinking it was a monster at the time I was in no way disappointed that it was, just like the other two - just under 2lbs. Another totally stunning scale perfect fish that will find it's way in to a drawing someday i'm sure.

Watching dad go downstream with his net to retrieve his lost float was like old times and as ever it signalled us packing up, just as well really as I was totally shattered. The last three hours saw just two bites so it was a case of roach to the rescue when everything else couldn't be tempted. The two hour round trip to drop dad home would go quick I thought as we would chat about giant redfins, absent chub, elusive dace and the wonderful rewards fishing small rivers this time of year can still throw up.

You have raised the bar Rob with those fish; absolute crackers! I will just have to raise my game:rolleyes:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Some cracking grayling and roach pics, great stuff chaps.

The roach have been kind to me of late although yesterday looked like being an exception to the rule, just when you think you've got everything nailed and you're on top of your game, mother nature throws a curve ball and you find yourself struggling for bites. "Don't worry dad we can't go wrong today" probably was a sentence tempting fate but I was just happy to have him with me as he hadn't been fishing since November. All wrapped up in many layers he looked more like a teddy bear than an angler as I watched him set up in the swim above me. I usually get a head start by the time he sets up so I can usually gauge what sort of day lies in store before he's wet a line but that mattered not today as you grow to realise it ain't all about catching so much and sometimes keeping hold of what you got for a little longer is priceless.

As for the fishing, it was slow.... three decent roach and a solitary chub in the first two hours in a spot where I was banging out one a cast in the cold snap, the only conclusion was the rain the night before was colder than usual and the flush through hadn't had time to warm up, although it was a lovely day to watch dad although he seemed to be amongst the gudgeon in his spot. He cared not, a few decent roach and small chub made him happy and you could tell he was just glad to be out.

When I came to realise he was out catching me and thinking how he wouldn't let me forget that, I went back to my swim after resting it, changed floats for the third time and finally hit in to a quality roach. A bit knocked about but with a belly like a tennis ball it fought like a chub and looked great in the sun

I was happy with that and the bites still didn't come think and fast but they did come with quality as another cracking roach was on, this time a pristine fish.

With another hour of trotting completely biteless I was finally into a third roach like the last one scale perfect and the strongest of the lot, thinking it was a monster at the time I was in no way disappointed that it was, just like the other two - just under 2lbs. Another totally stunning scale perfect fish that will find it's way in to a drawing someday i'm sure.

Watching dad go downstream with his net to retrieve his lost float was like old times and as ever it signalled us packing up, just as well really as I was totally shattered. The last three hours saw just two bites so it was a case of roach to the rescue when everything else couldn't be tempted. The two hour round trip to drop dad home would go quick I thought as we would chat about giant redfins, absent chub, elusive dace and the wonderful rewards fishing small rivers this time of year can still throw up.

Truly a magnificent catch of quality redfins, lovely conditioned fish in last 2 pics, good to hear that dad also had a good day, well done :thumbs:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A return to reservoir piking this morning,virtually no breeze to speak about, the flat calm surface broken only by . . . . cormorants - three of them,later five more flew in but three flew off .... great.
Deadbaits set, settle back with a coffee and brush up on my waiting skills - white egret,
heron,nine goosanders,eight grebes, two tufties and all the usual small birds including a skylark.
No pike whatsoever.
Trying again tomorrow - very trying . . . .

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
A return to reservoir piking this morning,virtually no breeze to speak about, the flat calm surface broken only by . . . . cormorants - three of them,later five more flew in but three flew off .... great.
Deadbaits set, settle back with a coffee and brush up on my waiting skills - white egret,
heron,nine goosanders,eight grebes, two tufties and all the usual small birds including a skylark.
No pike whatsoever.
Trying again tomorrow - very trying . . . .

Unlucky fella,

Best of luck for tomorrow :thumbs:

I'm a bit up on me British birds aswell as I used to breed and exhibit avairy bred British birds ( finches and small soft bills ) on a big scale at champion level for a good number of years, nowadays I just keep a small handful for me general interest, don't bother showing no more.

Be lucky

john step

Reaction score
Gear ready, sandwiches made, breakfast and ablutions done. Picking up keys ready to go piking.

Ring ring, hello? Your Mum is in hospital. Back down in the Smoke for a few days. I hate S-Kippies traffic down here:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Sorry John. If you were on the dreaded M25 tonight you have my sympathies.

Good luck with your Mum. Take good care - we only get one!

Kind regards

Hugh

B

binka

Gear ready, sandwiches made, breakfast and ablutions done. Picking up keys ready to go piking.

Ring ring, hello? Your Mum is in hospital. Back down in the Smoke for a few days. I hate S-Kippies traffic down here:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry to hear that John, I really hope she proves to be ok for the long run.

I know that you've been doing this for a good while and a thankless task it sometimes seems to be but from my own experience, of nothing resembling the mileage you've been covering, it's an invaluable one nonetheless especially in terms of appreciation of those on the receiving end.

I've abandoned tomorrow even though I've got the bait, I'm trying for Sunday now due to the fact that I didn't get the garage finished today as expected.

But tomorrow?

Whoa!

Tomorrow...

The organised angling world is set for something of the likes it has never seen before including a central alter, the carousel of banksticks and a free standing reel rack :)

Roll on Sunday :eek:mg:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But tomorrow?

Whoa!

Tomorrow...

The organised angling world is set for something of the likes it has never seen before including a central alter, the carousel of banksticks and a free standing reel rack :)

What will be the opening times? and will there be concessions?

B

binka

What will be the opening times? and will there be concessions?

:D:D:D

I've sworn this is the last time I do this although I now have the layout for when I move it all into the living room :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that John, I really hope she proves to be ok for the long run.

I know that you've been doing this for a good while and a thankless task it sometimes seems to be but from my own experience, of nothing resembling the mileage you've been covering, it's an invaluable one nonetheless especially in terms of appreciation of those on the receiving end.

I've abandoned tomorrow even though I've got the bait, I'm trying for Sunday now due to the fact that I didn't get the garage finished today as expected.

But tomorrow?

Whoa!

Tomorrow...

If this is going to be featured in Ideal Homes let me know the edition:rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Sorry to hear about your Mum, John.

It's not my traffic, John though I am beginning to wonder if I am the victim of a Dept of Transport conspiracy. On Thursday I headed north for some gliding out of Long Marston. M40 down to 1 lane forcing me to go via the back roads and adding an hour to the journey. Coming back ought to be ok though......Wrong....M40 down to 1 lane while they repair the barrier damage from the morning. 90 minutes later I hadn't even cleared Warwick !

There seems to be a distinct common factor here..... motorways and me ! :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score

Sorry to hear that John! From other posts I know we are in similar boats. I spent the day at my parents yesterday and mum who has dementia but who is so much more rational since her plaster cast came off, was pleased to see me! We are lucky to still have our parents !

As an aside Dad who is 89 (and losing the plot) asked me to take him to the local BMW dealer so he could look at the new 5 series. :rolleyes:

I turned my back on him for a second and he got into a 5 series ( not the new model) and was fiddling about. A man approached and said" excuse me but that's my car do you mind". He was looking like we were!! Dad was not the least apologetic:wh

theartist

Reaction score
We spend so much of our time looking after our parents which is fair dues as they spent so much of theirs looking after us. Plenty of kids have had bad parents and some good parents have bad kids who equally don't give a damn.

If you have those long days(and nights) then it's all been worth it.

:w Here's a glass raised to all those who can't get out on the bank as much as they can at the moment.

jon atkinson

Reaction score

Sorry to hear that John - I hope that it's nothing too serious & she makes a speedy recovery. Much though we all love our fishing, family will always come first. On the plus side had the call come a little later you could have been on the bank tackled up...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Spent the Afternoon on my local section of the cut on the part that bikes cant get to , Bit breezey to say the least but carried on nice collection of Roach and Rudd as is the norm for that location with a few skimmers hurled in for good measure not one Perch today very unusual that .

It is quite a large area of water on a junction ranging from dang deep to not even 18 inches over its area ( dang deep = in excess of 10 feet) so not to get any perch is very rare .

Gave up in the long run thou the wind was howling straight down on me with white horses dashing down the water i thought better and came home heres hoping it is a bit better tomorrow .

PG ...

Last edited: