How did you get on?

edsurf

Reaction score
16807146_10211630050257118_1262977146666558690_n.jpg

View image in gallery

Had a nice session trotting the Hants Avon on the Royalty this morning, had a few sea trout then my best chub to date from the Avon 5.8Lbs , Hit it right at the end of the trot, put up a good fight in the flow and put a nice bend in my 15 foot rod.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Had a nice session trotting the Hants Avon on the Royalty this morning, had a few sea trout then my best chub to date from the Avon 5.8Lbs , Hit it right at the end of the trot, put up a good fight in the flow and put a nice bend in my 15 foot rod.

Truly a pucka looking Chub and well done on yer PB,

Some big old girls in that royalty :thumbs:

edsurf

Reaction score
Ed are you sure your scales are right? Looks quite a bit bigger to me.

I did think that , it felt pretty heavy too and I have had a few around the five mark 5.1.5.3 etc and it felt much heavier, I thought it might be the flow in the river making it feel heavy. Not going to loose sleep over it, was just a nice fish to catch. I have korum digital scales and they are normally OK. I had to take a selfie with fish so did not want to prat around to much weighing again, I wanted to get fish back in the water which is more important to me.

mikench

Reaction score
I know camera angles and perspectives can be deceptive but that chub is nearly as big as you and you look like it is heavy to hold! Absolutely cracking fish !

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Beautiful chub Ed. I'm old enough to remember Avon chub of that length and more weighing around 3lbs Good to see the Avon producing such elegant chub consistently again.

IMO, and a few other locals, the chub down here on the H. Avon and D. Stour have not had the same weight gain since Autumn that we saw in 2016. The chub are still very fine fish and some are very big framed fish indeed but the numbers of 6's and 7's seem to be reduced this winter.

We are very spoilt down here and tend at times to forget a 5lb+ winter chub is a sight to behold! :)

Less than a month of the season left but still plenty of chub fishing time!

B

binka

A very nice day to be out perching on the river, I wish the perch had thought the same!

I actually had second thoughts just as daylight lit up the mucky coloured state of the river, it was still up which was great as it suited the swim I had trudged to and the fact that the mud from the last high water, a couple of weeks ago, was still barren of footprints from any recent activity bode even better and so I decided to give it a go.

A touch of Farmhouse Kitchen about all this (anyone remember that?) in that a home dug lobworm went out into seven feet of water close in to the bank under a homemade 5BB bobber and with a couple of droppers of chopped worm with some old maggots going in, it was trap set…

413157368.jpg

A couple of hours in with a big lob on the size 4 hook (it made the hook look small!) and all I had to show for it was an aborted take and so I decided to start mucking around with the bait, firstly moving down to a dendra on a smaller hook and then, after this produced nothing, I went onto a medium sized hair rigged maggot clip filled with dendra chop and a size 10.

Barely had the bait touched bottom after lowering it in than it was off and at a pace which convinced me it was a barbel.

It wasn’t…

After netting a small chub of around a pound I decided I would have been better off on a stillwater, at least in the respect of my target species.

All was not lost though, the chub came fairly frequently after that and although nothing big they gradually increased in size…

413157372.jpg

Great to be out in such mild weather and passing carpets of snowdrops in the hedge bottoms along the way.

I had to forgo my weekly drink last night being as I was up and off in the car before dawn this morning so guess what tonight is?

That's the last bit of sense you'll get out of me today.

Not that that's anything new...

:w

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
A very nice day to be out perching on the river, I wish the perch had thought the same!

I actually had second thoughts just as daylight lit up the mucky coloured state of the river, it was still up which was great as it suited the swim I had trudged to and the fact that the mud from the last high water, a couple of weeks ago, was still barren of footprints from any recent activity bode even better and so I decided to give it a go.

A touch of Farmhouse Kitchen about all this (anyone remember that?) in that a home dug lobworm went out into seven feet of water close in to the bank under a homemade 5BB bobber and with a couple of droppers of chopped worm with some old maggots going in, it was trap set…

413157368.jpg

A couple of hours in with a big lob on the size 4 hook (it made the hook look small!) and all I had to show for it was an aborted take and so I decided to start mucking around with the bait, firstly moving down to a dendra on a smaller hook and then, after this produced nothing, I went onto a medium sized hair rigged maggot clip filled with dendra chop and a size 10.

Barely had the bait touched bottom after lowering it in than it was off and at a pace which convinced me it was a barbel.

It wasn’t…

After netting a small chub of around a pound I decided I would have been better off on a stillwater, at least in the respect of my target species.

All was not lost though, the chub came fairly frequently after that and although nothing big they gradually increased in size…

413157372.jpg

Great to be out in such mild weather and passing carpets of snowdrops in the hedge bottoms along the way.

I had to forgo my weekly drink last night being as I was up and off in the car before dawn this morning so guess what tonight is?

That's the last bit of sense you'll get out of me today.

Not that that's anything new...

:w
That looks a very narrow bit of river there Steve!.

mikench

Reaction score
I have raised a few glasses of Wolf Blass to you Steve this evening: drowning my sorrows or praising an all round good egg , I am not sure, probably a bit of both.

Enjoy your evening everybody;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's been a dull, damp and miserable day round here today and although it was about 10 degrees the fine rain combined with the squally winds made it feel quite chilly, especially once i'd got wet !
The fish weren't exactly jumping up the banks but I did finish up with a few chub from about a pound and a half to two pound with one little tiddler chub of about 6 ounces. Plenty otter prints about again but unfortunately I didn't catch a glimpse of one. I had my Macaws screaming at home when I went out and on the bank I had Peregrine falcons baying like bu&&ery and burning me brain out.....you can't win ffs lol....

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Piking once again on Saturday - mild weather,you're joking,where's global warming when you need it? Freezing in a cold SW breeze which just strengthened as the day wore on.
Cormorant spotting again - three deadbaits remained untouched regardless of where I cast them so I packed up around 1pm and went home for a nice hot shower to thaw out.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Up early and off to Cambridge this morning to a new to me fishery.
A silvers only match and my peg was in a narrow corner of the fairly large lake.

Set up 2 lines, one at 9m not far from the empty peg opposite and one at 6m close to the reeds to my left...
2 balls of VDE Dark roach groundbait laced with a few dead pinkies cupped into both lines at the off and it was action immediately...
Single red maggot on a 20 b511 at dead depth on a 0.75g float dotted down to a pimple in 5' of water.

Amongst the roach a few of these lovely golden Rudd....

Only one put in on my short line by the reeds, one bite.
Havoc!
A large carp which I quickly landed on 3 elastic and 20 hook to 0.07 and released as it wouldn't count...

Back out on the long line and it was bites all day culminating in me weighing in 12lb:8..for 10th overall...

16 fished...

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
Club match yesterday on the Slough Arm at Langley- only second time out since before Xmas (first time out was last week which could be summed up in three words; Colne, froze, blanked.)
Anyway, pegged today on the lower end of the boats from where the gate used to be down towards Mansion Lane. Peggers reported that plenty of fish moving on pegs 1 to 4 but no signs after that. So I promptly drew peg 14 (of 16)- just before the sheds, which used to be a good area for big skimmers but they have been awol since the canal was dredged about 18 months ago.
Plumbed up to find a very nice 4ft 6 tight over to the boat, only about 9 inches shallower than down the track, 3ft tight in to the nearside wall and shallowing up to my left. Gave myself a punch line down the track , groundbait and squatt to the boat and also at 9m to the left against the slope of the shallower water and the usual 6 inches out desperation chopped worm (on worm at a time ! ) line to my right.
Started on punch, nothing in half an hour and nobody else I could see had caught either. Out on both groundbait lines and squatt, nothing again and similarly next to the wall. Ian three to my right had a little roach and after two hours only he and peg 7 had caught apart from 1 to 4 who were catching steadily. Half time (6hr match) and 6 and 8 had now caught as well (just) and a second successive blank was looking on the cards. One more look having chopped up another worm and dropped it down the edge 4m along to my right, float buried and blank saved with a perch about an inch and a half long, followed by one twice the size next put in. 90 minutes to go and was still the only catcher in the last five pegs, two of whom decided it was time for a pint and watch the football. Then Ian on 11 and Derek on 10 started picking up a few as the shoals began to move- refed the two groundbait lines with two big cups each to hold them if they reached me- took them too long to do so unfortunately as half an hour from time before had my first roach. Ended up with 11 of them from the left hand groundbait line and the two wasps for 1-13, Ian's 3 -7 winning the section of 8

12-14 won it from peg 2, then 11-6, 10-9 and 9-6 making up the frame.
Strange place; like most canals the fish shoal up at this time of year but unlike most the shoals then move around quite a bit even over the course of a day

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What a glorious and wonderful day! I elected to forgo any river fishing due to its awful condition and chose instead to visit my closest Stillwater, a small lake on farm land.

I was beginning to think all this hype about being warmer than Magaluf was just another hysterical Daily Express headline but when the sun broke through the clouds at lunchtime off came the coat, off came the fleece and started to think I should have brought the sun cream. The fish must have thought Summer had arrived too, after a few blanks on the river it made a welcome change to get a bite a cast with large number of carp coming to the net, sadly all rather small going to five pound, still on a match rod with 2lb line it made for good sport especially in the later afternoon when they started taking dog biscuits off the surface. Hard to think this is still Winter.

E00FF218-BD20-4109-AFA5-D71948AF1BF8_zpsx2afq9cg.jpg

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Nice day to be out on the town stretch.

Fished a bit longer than usual and managed 2 barbel best around 9lb and a clonking chub.

But bit painful ( it shoudnt be but it was) seeing the bloke on the other bank net 10......

Finks to give Warks Avon a go wednesday.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
The forecast unseasonable warm weather seemed to have diverted around the East Midlands as I found out again today,this time on the upper Soar.
Started fishing a wide bend that has a back eddy where in the past I have caught dace,roach,chub,brown trout and signal crayfish - all on bread.
Not a thing on float or leger,going through the baits I had - flake,crust,sweetcorn
luncheon meat and worm.Moved upstream - same again although when legering upstream with flake I did get a signal crayfish.Still with six buzzards,a kestrel,sparrowhawk,robins,
blue,great and long tailed tits for company it wasn't all bad.
Tried two more swims with no luck and lost the float ,shot hook etc when the line broke above the float whilst playing a very strong fish which I think was a chub.
Legering flake in yet another swim produced a beautiful brownie of around 1 & 1/2 pounds.

flightliner

Reaction score
A walk around a nearby stillwater yesterday helped blow a few cobwebs away, a week with a deadly virus that had me at deaths door was finally put to the sword with a few hard words from swmbo ---- who am I to argue, I thought it was double pneumonia but turned out to be manflu.
Anyway my walk turned into a recce', hopefully the fish may have become a little more active in this nice improving weather and looking quite nice I decided to give it a go today.
Eight am and I turn up, an hour later I' m sat behind two 1.75 tc rods connected to cage feeders stuffed with casters, dead red maggots and a redworm and bouyant double caster on a ten hook amidst a lightly baited area some five rod lengths out.
I had a recast some four hours later and again some two hours after that but nothing showed any interest in my offerings.
Well, its worked in the past and you have to follow your hunches when they start giving you a nudge , if you dont try you never know.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
A couple of weeks after moving house (and having to plead guilty to treason - crossing the Dorset border (just!) into Somerset, I met with an accident which turned first my body then my world upside down). To paraphrase Morrissey, I can laugh about it now but at the time it was terrible.

Whilst stopped in a layby for coffee, I looked round just in time to see an aquaplaned Land Rover probably about to instantly kill me and managed to move just enough to avoid this fate. The driver's application of the brakes spun the vehicle and the back of it hit the back of me, catapulting me over a small hedge and into a small drain I never knew was there.

Salvaging my specs, my work suit was obviously a write off but the real problem kicked in as soon as I was back on my feet. My backside felt like I'd been attacked by a jilted rhino - with a telegraph pole. The only flipside was it saved drinking what the first sip told me was the worst coffee I had probably ever tasted, it was like Bisto had gone in the coffee market.

In short, I was removed to hospital where my top memory was an A & E consultant telling me my glutinus looked like a Jimi Hendrix album cover - an interesting mix of black, purple, green, yellow and a host of other colours.

The worst casualty, however, was my nerves. Until the middle of last month or so, it felt like every bad thing in life was being slowly drained out and, after three months of feeding koi and goldies, I finally felt able and empowered to pick up a rod again.

Opposite my local tackle shop is a darned good Chinese takeaway and, being the shallow Hal I am, I felt a combined visit could work out, so I bought some stuff from the tackle shop, left at closing time and sat in the car for the half hour till a darned fine special fried rice and lemon fried chicken became available.

Anyway, that explanation of my absence I hope sufficing, the day after I had a slow, meandering Sunday morning drive to a nice section of the river Yeo on the outskirts of Yeovil.

As the section is not terribly wide and there are some tree lined areas, I opted for an 11ft Drennan Matchpro rod, with a Daiwa 125 holding 2.6lb line down to a 16 to 1.7lb length, via a 4 no 4 MAP stick.

I kicked off with two discs of punched bread, 6mm, which, with some punch crumb accompaniment brought a few small roach, a small dace and a small rudd but nothing of any great note, maybe a pound and a half of fish. That said, the weather was pleasant, settled and the river behaving itself so not all bad.

I switched down to an 18 and to a single red maggot. Things sped up a tiny tad and among the similar stamp of roach, a perch joined in and then two chub, giants of maybe 7oz and 12oz. Still, it was a start and these were the first fish from my now local river.

A few more small roach followed and one bite which felt a little heavier and better but which suddenly went slack - disappointing but, after recent events, I simply smiled - it didn't matter in the great scheme.

I packed up and drove home, sitting watching the fish in my back garden pond whilst supping some decent coffee, noting some new inhabitants - frogs. Not only were they not paying rent, they were squatting in order to get their legs over. The cheek of it!! Again, a big smile. Glad to see them.

Anyway, gents. After a worse December and January than even Jurgen Klopp had managed, I knew it was time to pull my mental socks up and I hope I've now done that. I'm looking forward to a few more sessions in the near future and, particularly, to a week on the Wye in the Summer - here's to Birra Moretti, fishing till the light goes and another shot at that first double whiskers. Till the next trip out, thanks so much to those who asked after me. Very much appreciated. :)